I have a lot of trouble with alternate picking, it just doesnt work for me...how can i improve on it? Ive tried a few excersises but they dont seem to be making a difference.
Practice everything you do very slowly with the same motions you would if you were doing it fast. Your fingers (well, muscles in general) have memory. If you practice things slowly and correctly, they remember it. After you get it down, just keep moving the speed up gradually. Practice it correctly...it's the most important thing. Practicing helpful exercises the wrong way will get you no where except to a bad technique.
i had the exact same problem i was great at down picking but mediocre at alternate picking, what i did was practise all the time with alternate, no matter how much you want to down pick, just don't and you'll eventually get really good at alternate picking.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
Practice everything you do very slowly with the same motions you would if you were doing it fast. Your fingers (well, muscles in general) have memory. If you practice things slowly and correctly, they remember it. After you get it down, just keep moving the speed up gradually. Practice it correctly...it's the most important thing. Practicing helpful exercises the wrong way will get you no where except to a bad technique.

There's no muscle in fingers, only tendons. But I don't get why everybody says you gotto get 'stronger' fingers for getting your barré chords right, it's wrong but something actually happens if you practise a lot and it gets easier, nothing muscle wise though imo :p

But he's right, keep practising slow then go faster. And don't adjust your style...like placing your pic wrong because it goes quicker that way, it might now but in the end you're stuck with a bad technique like he said!
like everyone said start slow and then move on..when i was practicing alt. picking i slowly kept playing the intro riff to glasglow kiss by john petrucci. i think that really helped me. i dont know why...but i still cant play it normal speed while alt. picking but i suggest to practice alt picking a couple songs you can comfortably play normally
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs