Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a Mesa Boogie Tremoverb or Mesa Boogie Maverick off of eBay, and I was wondering, how well do these amps handle music like Coheed and Cambria, Metallica, and Mastodon? Nothing extremely heavy but still a fair amount of gain required, so I would say enough for metal. Thanks in advance.
I would say most definitely get a tremoverb, a head anyway, its one of the most beautiful and versatile amps ive ever used, i think the tremolo is analog, plus theres seperate spring reverb for all channels. More than enough gain for metal, its actually called a dual rectifier tremoverb, therefore you get full full dual recto distortion goodness, tremolo and reverb plus a great blues setting, kinda like a dual recto for connoisseurs! For coheed and Cambria? An excellent choice

/mesa boner
Diezel, Motherfucker
Last edited by mh400nt at Aug 11, 2007,
Heh, yeah all I had heard of Tremoverbs up until now was that Kirk Hammett uses ones for warming up apparently.

About the amp I'm looking at, there are actually two, both are combos, but one has Vintage 30's while the other has Vintage 75's which I'm not familiar with at all! Which one do you think sounds like the better deal, they're both the same price.
Honestly....ive never even heard of vintage 75s! They sound mental though. you cant go wrong with V30s, Mesa use them in almost all their amps, this is most likely because they are fantastic. Research the 75s, see what the difference is!
Diezel, Motherfucker
I would go for the vintage 30s strictly because all of my cabs are loaded with them and they're my favorite speaker. As far as value goes, i'll look that up and get back to you in a second.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Ah yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw Vintage 75s. I was like... is this dude pulling my leg? But then there were pics. >_>

Here are the links for you guys btw, so you can see the specifics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Trem-o-Verb-2x12-combo-Dual-with-Extras-1-of-2-SEE_W0QQitemZ250153088474QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250153090550&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=250153088474&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

The only thing I'm worried about with these is that there's no warranty included, and I'll be dropping about 1200 bucks on this thing. What do you guys think?
$1200 is a little steep for a Tremoverb 2x12 IMO.

I still vote V30, just because they have never let me down. I trust the 30 over the 75 because I've heard it time and time again preforming at its best and getting the job done right. I've never heard of a V75, and if it sounds better than a V30 then why doesn't Mesa and Orange use that in their cabs instead?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Yeah, I thought it sounded a bit high too.

Hmm.. do you know anything about Mesa Boogie Nomads? There were a couple of those on eBay as well, but the only demo I saw of one was like a blues type thing. How do those handle metal?
Ahh i think those other speakers are Celestion G12s - rated for 75 watts, theres no "vintage" that i can see in the picture. its confusing, since the V30s are rater at more than double 30 watts anyway, I think if you are set on getting one of these two then the V30s would be better.

As for dropping the cash - Number one - Mesas are always very well built, sturdy and rarely unreliable, tubes aside. Ive never had one crap out on me, again tubes aside, and ive owned about 4. Number two - if the worst does come to the worst, getting it repaired isnt that pricey, Number 3 - if you plain dont like it the resale value will never drop below 1000 dollars for that amp, its always a good investment with leading name brands as you never have trouble selling if your tastes change, even if people say you are only paying for the name, it doesnt matter, because you can always recoup that cash if needed!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Hmm, yeah, you make some very good points there. I'm so freaking nervous though, it is a lot of cash! I don't know, I think I just need to take a chance though. I've been looking at new amps for months now and I can't seem to find the right one. I love the tones of the Mesas though, so that's what I've narrowed it down to. If this thing sounds like a Dual Recto then I'm all for it! Plus, I'm not what you'd call... a tone.. expert. Of course I can tell the difference between good and bad, but when it comes to very subtle nuances, I could care less!

Basically if this thing gets a good crunch then I'm sold! Any idea what the wattage is on these two by the way. Oh and in case I forget, thanks SO MUCH guys, I really appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving!
All the Dual rectifiers, rectoverbs and tremoverbs are 100 watts. (edit, you can get rectoverbs in 50 watt form, but definitely not tremoverbs) They are both most definitely 100w combo amps. And will it give you a good crunch? Arguably the best in the world, with some good EQ settings, a decent guitar and decent fingers you will be in heaven

I hope it works out man, i can appreciate you being nervous, Ill tell you a little story about the first Mesa i got, it was a triple rectifier - 150 watts, it was the first proper amp head i got, i was the same as you, it felt crazy spending that kind of money on an amp, for starters I loved it, you know how some equipment can just MAKE you want to play aaallll day long, it was like that. I had it and loved it for about a year, but decided i needed a change, something smaller, and some cash haha. I sold it within a week, and got more cash than i originally paid for it. If thats not a happy story then what the hell is?? Even if you lose a bit of cash on a resell, then think that the cash you lost is basically the amount you paid for using that amp for as long as you wanted - years even.
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by JoeBender
Yeah, I thought it sounded a bit high too.

Hmm.. do you know anything about Mesa Boogie Nomads? There were a couple of those on eBay as well, but the only demo I saw of one was like a blues type thing. How do those handle metal?

I love the Nomad combos. The only one I have any experience with is the Nomad 55 2x12. They don't have as much gain as a Rectifier, but they have enough to play some really heavy stuff. I almost bought one... He was selling it locally for $800, and I had an Ampeg bass rig for sale for $800. a few days later he had it on ebay with a BIN of $700, and literally 15 minutes before my buyer came to get my Ampeg that guy sold the Mesa online. I was really upset :/

Back on topic, yeah. The Nomads have plenty of gain and volume.

Quote by JoeBender
Hmm, yeah, you make some very good points there. I'm so freaking nervous though, it is a lot of cash! I don't know, I think I just need to take a chance though. I've been looking at new amps for months now and I can't seem to find the right one. I love the tones of the Mesas though, so that's what I've narrowed it down to. If this thing sounds like a Dual Recto then I'm all for it! Plus, I'm not what you'd call... a tone.. expert. Of course I can tell the difference between good and bad, but when it comes to very subtle nuances, I could care less!

Basically if this thing gets a good crunch then I'm sold! Any idea what the wattage is on these two by the way. Oh and in case I forget, thanks SO MUCH guys, I really appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving!

I felt the same way with my first high end amp. After you spend thousands of dollars on an amplifier(s) you never regret it, unless of course you don't like it... Then in that case you relist it on ebay for the same amount, or mabye a little less like stated above.

I assure you that you can't go wrong with Mesa if you take the time to learn the controls and tweak the knobs. A little smidge of a turn can make or break your tone... So remember to write the settings down :]

EDIT 3: I personally prefer the Nomad 55 2x12 over the Tremoverb 2x12. It's essentially the same thing, with a tad less gain and half the power. It's also half the price, by the way.. not literally, but close. $800 to $900 shipped most of the time.

PS. I apologise for any typos, i'm exhausted :/
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Aug 11, 2007,
Ah, okay, I just woke up and I've been looking for Nomads on eBay, how does this one look to you guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Nomad-55-1x12-combo_W0QQitemZ190138111225QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a 55 watt 1x12, and while I was leaning more towards a 45 watt for my needs (practicing with band, practicing in living room, hopefully gig soon), the 55 watt has 6L6's which I have heard sound darker than EL84s... which I'm guessing is better for metal? :P

Should I wait off and look for more Nomads or does this one look good?
Alright, I guess I'll wait off for a 2x12 then. I'll just take the silence as a hint.
Nah man, i reckon silence means we are in different timezones, and asleep! I cant help you about the nomads, ive never played one so it would be stupid to give you advice, i can tell you that yeah, the power of that amp will suit you fine, never, ever underestimate how loud tube amps can get. Also, i can tell you that 6L6 tubes are darker sounding, they are in my opinion very well voiced for higher gain metal than El34s, which are voiced more for classic rock and thrashy type crunch, they can feel quite vintage. To help illustrate it better, Marshalls generally have always run on EL34s, and Mesa mostly use 6L6s. The Mesa stiletto series uses EL34s, and most people find them voiced more like a marshall!

In related news i just bought a tremoverb head
Diezel, Motherfucker