but i need math help to be specific, algebra and that x and y intercept crap. the only thing i know is that it felt like english class. sadly, i dont see this thread to be very helpful because most of UG must be on vacation or vegetating in the heat. i need this help because i passed math with a 57 last year and when school starts, i have it as homeroom. UG, pleeeeeeease help me.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
^ I beg to differ! The answer is 6.78
...And the worms ate into his brain.
Josh is right. We can help, but we need some sort of base to help. Like, specifically what do you need to be explained?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Guitarist132
The answer is 7

You are brilliant sir.
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
ill give you an example and see if you get the drift from that,

algebra is finding out what value of a x is, example:

4x=20

find out how many times 4 goes into 20, the answer is 5, so the real meaning for the question would be 4 x 5=20

another example

2x=22, the answer is 11 because 11 goes into 2 twice.
y is just the same as x, i think those mathematicians asses use y for i think its just so they can confuse people like you
Quote by matalliam
y is just the same as x, i think those mathematicians asses use y for i think its just so they can confuse people like you

Um, Y is the vertical line and X is the horizontal one in a graph...
He was talking about X and Y intercepts.
The intercepts are where the line hit the X or Y axis.

I think you're talking about variables. Cause then any letter can represent a variable.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Well x any y intercepts are simple really it just the point where the line crosses the x or y axis. Like if you had a straight line x=y then the x and y intercept would be 0 but if you had x+2=y then they y intercept would be 2. I think that's right I haven't done maths since June and if I'm wrong then I know I've failed my AS Maths lol
k to be more specific, everything about algebra in general. i know x will always be x, y will always be y, what i dont know is to solve equations with wariables on both sides. nor do i know how to show you what im talking about
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
k to be more specific, everything about algebra in general. i know x will always be x, y will always be y, what i dont know is to solve equations with wariables on both sides. nor do i know how to show you what im talking about

That's not really being more specific is it really. Do you have a question in front of you or what? The easiest thing would be to get like a GCSE maths book or something.
well if you have an equation such as

4+3x=5x then you can subtract 3x from each side to get
4=2x then you divide both sides by 2 and get
2=x thats how you solve it

i hope that makes sense... heres another explanation

in an equation you can do anything you want to it such as add subtract multiply or divide as long as you do it to both sides of the equation. Try to get all of the x's together on one side by doin anyone or any combination of these operations.

I hope that helped a little bit
Quote by AcsticRckr89
well if you have an equation such as

4+3x=5x then you can subtract 3x from each side to get
4=2x then you divide both sides by 2 and get
2=x thats how you solve it

k, but if you subtract 3x on both sides, why does the 4 stay the same?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
What he meant is that you move the 3x over to the right side!
Allways have your xs alone. So that means 5x-3x=2x
and there you go
...And the worms ate into his brain.
i was in aband called slope y intercept
and we vowed to never learn that theroy.
i think im finally starting to understand
but what if there and equation with variables on both sides and both variables are different liek

6y-3x=2x

i dont really knwo if theres an answer to that, just using it as an example
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian

Variables on both sides with one variable, like this?

3x+4 = 2x+6

First, put all the Xes on one side of the equation. We do this by removing 2x from the left side (i.e. subtract 2x), and remember, if you subtract/add something on one side of the equation you subtract/add it to the other side as well.

3x+4 = 2x+6
3x+4-2x = 2x+6-2x
x+4 = 6

Then we do the same thing with the 4... Subtract it from both sides to remove it from one side.

x+4-4 = 6-4
x = 2

As to the equation you named (6y-3x=2x) it can't be solved. If there's two variables (x and y) there'll be two equations as well. Ex.

I. 6x+2y = 10
II. 2x = y

This is an easy one. You know y = 2x, so you replace y in equation I with (2x).

I. 6x+2(2x) = 10
6x+4x = 10
10x = 10
x = 1
y = 2x = 2
I'm a communist. Really.
if you wanna know how to find both intercepts of a line, you have to set one of the variables to zero. the example you stated, 6y-3x=2x, is the equation of a line. to put it in slope-intercept form (y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept), you have to move all the x parts to the right side by adding (or subtracting, whatever the case may be), and then dividing by the coefficient on the y term.

your ex.
6y-3x=2x copy the problem
6y-3x+3x=2x+3x some property saying you can do the same thing to both sides
6y=5x simplify
6y/6=5x/6 some property saying you can do the same thing to both sides
y=(5/6)x simplify
as you can see, this line has a slope of 5/6, and a y-intercept of 0

to find the x-intercept, set y=0, and solve for x (in this case, it is also 0)

hope that clears it up
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join