So currently I have an .9 gauge. My guitar needs a string change and I'm thinking about trying .10. Now my question is: Do I have to set up my guitar for this? Also, what string brand do you guys recommend? Should I stay away from those "lol Malmsteen" and the like strings? I also saw Gibson strings. Are they any good?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Do I have to set up my guitar for this?

you won't have to adjust the truss rod. You might have to make some very minor adjustments to the springs in the back cavity to keep the bridge level and possibly adjust the intonation a bit

Quote by m3k
Also, what string brand do you guys recommend?

I'm on D'Addarios currently. I'm also fan of Rotosound. Ernie Ball are ok. So are GHS.

Quote by m3k
Should I stay away from those "lol Malmsteen" and the like strings?

doesn't Yngwie use 8s or something really thin like that O_O
stay away? probably. Those set aren't really that special compared to a regular set of strings and the price is probably marked up for having whoever's name on it.

Quote by m3k
I also saw Gibson strings. Are they any good?

no idea. never tried them. They might be.
Strings are a thing of personal preference about feel and sound. Try them all out, find what works best for you.
With that guitar, you'll have to tighten the screws that hold the tremolo plate [claw thing in the back, I don't know if that's what it's called], and adjust your intonation.

And my favorite strings are D'addarios. I would think Gibson strings would be good, but I've never used them. Elixer and Ernie Ball strings are good, too.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Thanks for the insightful reply

Btw, I blocked my floating bridge since I don't use it.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I use Gibson Brite Wires on my Stagg strat copy (cheap thing), and GHS Zakk Wylde Boomers (.10-.60) on my BC Rich Warlock, and they both play awesome. When you choose thicker strings, you can tune/detune more and lower, and they won't break as fast as the thinner strings. But, on the other side, thin strings play easier than thick ones. I also used Ernie Ball for some time, but they suck in my opinion. On an Ibanez or something you can use the thicker strings (.10), but if your guitar sucks, like my Stagg, i wouldn't recommend any higher than that, because your neck will snap.
not meaning to hijack the thread, just wanted to ask if going up a single guage would never require a truss adjustment
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)