So I bought a tuner.. (Korg Chromatic Tuner CA-30)

I was just wondering.. what is the normal hertz (HZ) (shown in the top left corner) to use when tuning your bass? I currently have mine at 443 Hz.

What would be the approriate Hz to use?
I have exactly the same tuner! I always have it set to 440 which is the pitch of a concert A I think.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
yup, 440
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
You could also use 220 or 110 or 880 for A as well.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Why did it come with 443, if it's 440?

Also, why do they matter?

I always knew 440, but never why.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
440 is standard pitch. higher is some of the freeky asian music and lower is some wierd music. but please tune it to 440 nobody writes music in the other pitches anynore
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Ok guys, you can stop, about 50 people have all said A440.

i wish
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Foible776
the hz only matters if ur in a band and u need to have the same hz

its not even that, most orchestra instruments are tuned to 440! even then, setting it to say 435 would just make everything sound flat
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
its not even that, most orchestra instruments are tuned to 440! even then, setting it to say 435 would just make everything sound flat

They are now, over time, and with the uptake of equal temperament today's system of A=220Hz was created. Many pieces written by people like Mozart and Beethoven are no longer at the same tuning they were originally written in.
Founder of Jaco society

Just an observation, but Radiohead's 'The Bends' (though possibly only the song 'just') and Feeder's 'Echo park' albums both seem to be recorded using instruments tuned to something other than 440. Don't know why this is, and they're both pretty successful albums.

To the comment above that everything would sound flat at 435, I really don't think you would notice if all the instruments were tuned to that frequency, until you tried to play along with the cd that is...
Quote by Emergancy Exit
440 is standard pitch. higher is some of the freeky asian music and lower is some wierd music. but please tune it to 440 nobody writes music in the other pitches anynore

Yeah, because nobody tunes to half-step, right? Or to D? Are you broken?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Jateca
Just an observation, but Radiohead's 'The Bends' (though possibly only the song 'just') and Feeder's 'Echo park' albums both seem to be recorded using instruments tuned to something other than 440. Don't know why this is, and they're both pretty successful albums.

That could be due to changes of tape speed, bands often uses this which then chnages the pitch slightly.
Founder of Jaco society

The difference between 440 and lets say 443 is very negligible. 440 is the standard. One of my bass instructors who plays in the National Symphony Orchestra told me they always tune to 443. I think in Germany they also tune to something other than 440. But like I said, the difference is barely noticable.
Got Bass?
no the fitze i diddint mean they did not use different tuneing i ment nobody sets the tuners other anywhere else but 440 anymore
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by sinan90
That could be due to changes of tape speed, bands often uses this which then chnages the pitch slightly.

Good point yeah. Not sure if the albums mentioned were recorded completely on tape or digital or a mix, but it's certainly a possiblity.

Actually, thinking about it, both those albums use fairly high pitch singing, so they may have done it the way you suggested to help the singers along. I think I'm going to have to look into this.
Quote by Jateca
Good point yeah. Not sure if the albums mentioned were recorded completely on tape or digital or a mix, but it's certainly a possiblity.

Actually, thinking about it, both those albums use fairly high pitch singing, so they may have done it the way you suggested to help the singers along. I think I'm going to have to look into this.

It could be a metaphorical tape as well, where they just speed up the recording to change the pitch, some bands do it to play in standard then slow down slightly to get notes outside the traditional 12 western ones.
Founder of Jaco society

The song 'The Missing McCloud Boys' by The Prize FIghter Inferno is recorded at 430Hz, so weird frequencies are still used.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by sinan90
It could be a metaphorical tape as well, where they just speed up the recording to change the pitch, some bands do it to play in standard then slow down slightly to get notes outside the traditional 12 western ones.

Yeah I've done it myself on a couple of mixes, though usually for remixing type applications.

Ever tried slowing down a 'chipmunks' song til the voices are at regular male voice pitch? Very strange...