hey guys, im learning birdland by jaco pastorius and the problem is the pinch harmonics are incredibly quiet so they would be completely lost in the mix. im learning it off the lick library dvd and the instructor said for this to work you will need a stomp box pedal. but he never said what pedal. would it be a volume pedal etc please help
Bullshit. You don't need a pedal. Jaco never used one. According to him, you need good chops. You need to pull the pinches very hard. And let's not forget, he's not doing the pinches in random spots, either. At first, he does pinches at half-way between where he's fretting and the bridge (if his finger was the nut, the 12th fret). He pinches in a different spot each time he plays a new note. For the second measure of it, he pinches right near the bridge. Like the area around fret 2-3, but reversed. In that area, it's all pinchable. However, you really have to hit it hard and do it properly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It helps to solo the bridge pup and boost treble and mids to get it to ring out better. Also I found plucking with your nail produces better sound than with the flesh of your finger.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
He does his pinches differently than you'll see most people do them. Most people actually pinch the string by putting your thumb on one side of the string and your finger on the other. Jaco, however, layed his thumb on top of the string and played. I'm not really sure if this technique helped with the volume but when I play it, I do the same things that sinan recommends
Yeah you need to rest your thumb on the string you are playing and pluck behind the rested thumb. Depending on which position you are resting your thumb you will get different pitches of pinch harmonics higher pitches being closer to the bridge lower towards the neck until the pinch becomes non-existant.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Pick out as in hear or to play the actual note? If it's the former an example would be nice.
Founder of Jaco society

thanks for the replies guys, but i cant understand it, i went up and down the string to find the loudest pinch i did and its still so quiet. the guy who said this is a well known professional bassist and jaco is his fave bassist, he can play every jaco song, how could he be wrong. i heard him play the pinch harmonics without the pedal and they sounded really quiet as well. i really would love to see one of you guys do one because i dont know how ye can make them loud enough to cut through the mix. anyway il search jaco on youtube and see what i can learn.thanks for your help
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDfMqLlFPU Well there's Jaco playing it live and there's no stomp box of any kind which he turns off after the intro. Just wondering what video you're getting this info from?
Founder of Jaco society

Just get his Modern Electric Bass DVD. He outlines the whole bloody concept. Someone uploaded the whole thing in parts on youtube.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Just get his Modern Electric Bass DVD. He outlines the whole bloody concept. Someone uploaded the whole thing in parts on youtube.

I hate watch that video, it really saddens me to see what Jaco was like near the end of his life, especially when he can't remember how to play PoT, and constantly seems to be struggling on it.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
I hate watch that video, it really saddens me to see what Jaco was like near the end of his life, especially when he can't remember how to play PoT, and constantly seems to be struggling on it.

Yeah, it's pretty brutal, but his explanation of pinch harmonics is so friggin' direct and clear that if you can't get it after watching it, you never will.

And, even though it was drunken, that Amerika/Word of Mouth jam at the end was pretty badass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I like those videos I thought they were really insightful but at the very end of the videos where he is playing the piano and then just fades away brought me close to tears.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by sinan90

though you can still tell he's putting all his heart and soul into it, even if he's fingers can't do it
Fitz, any idea what the fretless is that Jaco plays in that video? It's in the part where he's jamming with another recording of him playing on his fretted bass.
Founder of Jaco society

That wasn't a fretless I'm pretty sure both that and the jazz he was playing on were both fretted. I think i remember him saying that but i could be wrong
Quote by sinan90
Fitz, any idea what the fretless is that Jaco plays in that video? It's in the part where he's jamming with another recording of him playing on his fretted bass.

Christ, no idea. That's Jerry Jemmott's bass, though. Maybe a signature of his or something. I asked a guy who knew him in Florida, and he couldn't tell me either. It was an interesting looking piece but the tone sounded a bit funny when Jerry was playing it. Jaco, though, made it sound great. Just goes to show.
Quote by Cody_Grey102