I went to town today, and decided to take a quick trip down to the guitar shop.

And by quick trip, I mean I spent an hour in there, then went home.

I didn't have any great expectations, because normally the shop is staffed by complete morons and a 12 year old (I kid you not). But today, there were only two guys in there, both of which knew what they were talking about (a minor revelation in itself) and were really helpful.

I went in with a view to just mucking around on anything I could get my hands on (especially the peavey windsor), but somehow I ended up telling them that I had a budget of up to £500 for a blues/classic rock amp

So, we had a chat about what guitar I use and what kind of sound I liked (I was really impressed by this, last time I visited this shop I ended up plugged into an MG halfstack), and we plugged in a few amps, found a guitar and he left me to it. Excellent.

I'll start with the guitar:

Godin LG Signature AA Top with Seymour Duncans

I loved this guitar. Quick run-down of specs:

Mahogany Neck (Bolt on, but very very well done)
Rosewood Fingerboard
Jumbo Frets
Black Machines(Satin finish) 18:1 ratio
Mahogany Body
Schaller Bridge
5-way Switch (Bridge humbucker, coils split, Bridge & Neck humbuckers, Neck humbucker coil split, neck humbucker).
Seymour Duncan Humbucker Pickups (No idea what they were).
Carved flame maple top (gorgeous).

Everything about the guitar was brilliant. Really well set up, quality hardware, new strings, it was fantastic. Even it's unplugged tone was great. It sounded great clean or distorted, the blues tone with the neck pickup split was very good, up there with a strat (although not quite as good). The middle position was a bit muddy, but I wouldn't use it anyway. The bridge pickup got a bit trebly, which leads me to suspect it was a JB, but rolling off the tone control helped this.

It played like a dream, the neck was really comfortable in my hands, not too skinny but very manageable. It was really easy to play and sounded great. My one gripe was that it seemed to go out of tune a bit too often, but I'd probably put this down to new strings.

Out of 10, I'd give this a9

Amps:

Laney VC30

I didn't have high hopes for this, I'd tried one briefly before and didn't really like it. I don't know what the hell I'd been smoking, because I absolutely loved the one I tried today. It was the 1x12 model with a Celestion 70 80.

The cleans were really nice, so much warmth to them, and very sparkly. Really clear once I spent a bit of time on the EQ.

The overdrive... wow. Really nice vintage sound, nice and bright and again very clear once EQ'd well. Unlike some of the other amps I tried today, the entire range of the gain knob was usable, right up to full. I got some really nice sounds out of this amp.

On the downside, I'm now GASing like mad for one.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I was expecting great things from this amp (I was told it was a blues deluxe, d'oh), since I really like the Blues Jr I tried a while ago, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. Next to the Laney, the cleans on this sounded a bit "cold" in comparison. It was still a very nice sound, especially with reverb and the bright switch on, but I think i preferred the voicing of the Laney's clean channel.

The OD was where I really expected it to shine (Again, I thought I was playing a blues deluxe), and also where I was most disappointed. Again, it was a decent sound, but I found that the OD got very harsh when I got the gain up past halfway. It didn't mattter much because I didn't need that much gain anyway, but it was still a bit of an annoyance. Still. the sound I got from it was still decent, a bit more bluesy than the VC (though I think the VC is a better amp), but I think this amp would sound better with a strat, or at least a guitar with proper singlecoils. Humbuckers just don't seem to suit it.

7, for the cleans.

Peavey Delta Blues

I'd never heard of this before, it's a 50 watt valve amp with a 15" speaker (which I thought was odd), I think it's part of the classic series.

I didn't really like this one. It was decent, but too bassy and dark, and tended to get muddy too easily. It's apparently modelled after a Bassman, I've never played through one so i can't really make any comparisons, but I still didn't like this amp. I suppose it's just not to my taste (I like bright amps in general). I suppose the 15" speaker didn't help matters, to my knowledge they're mainly used for bass amps.

Peavey Classic 30

This was a lot nicer than the Delta Blues, in my opinion at least. I was a bit disappointed that I tried a black one, the tweed model's much sexier, but life goes on.

The cleans were very good on this amp, the reverb was also very nice. The OD was great, but suffered from the same problem as the BD, i.e. once you got it over 12 o'clock or so it got quite harsh and had too much gain, again, this is my opinion so other people may like the sound. It had a very good tone for classic rock, and was brighter than the Delta Blues which I liked. I'd take the VC30 over this, because I preferred the sound and it's cheaper. But the Classic is no booby prize, it's still a very good amp.

After this I went back to the VC30 again, just because it was that good

I then attempted to plug the Valveking royal 8 in, but alas, there were no plug sockets and it was at the bottom of a very precarious pile of Line 6 bass amps.

Just before I left, I had a quick bash on some of the other guitars, here's a brief rundown:

Ibanez Prestige (No idea what the model number was, but it had a floating trem and a super-sexy blue flamed finish)

As usual, I didn't get on with the thin neck. The flatter, skinny shape is just plain wrong for my hand, so playing is very uncomfortable. Still a nice guitar, but not for me.

Ibanez JS1200

I've wanted to try one of these for ages, but you guessed it, the neck ruined it for me. Plus it was horribly out of tune and missing the whammy bar.

Ibanez S320

For some reason I found the neck easier to get on with than the other two Ibanezes I tried today, but it was still a bit weird. I had some fun with the whammy bar, it's a nice guitar.

Lag Roxanne, the one that looks like a plastic robot toy with the HZs and strange bridge

Yes, that is the "official" model name >_>

I really didn't like this. I picked it up, looked down at the fretboard and thought "Wtf?"

It looked like a toy, the nut width was tiny. I just couldn't get to grips with it at all.

Well, that concludes my spam thread. All of the guitars except the Godin were tried unplugged for a maximum of about 3 minutes each.

Also bear in mind that the ratings I gave the guitars are relevant to what they are - for example, I probably wouldn't give the VC30 a 9 compared to something really expensive, but for what it is, it's very good.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Aug 12, 2007,
Sweet! How much was the Godin? I tried a super strat a while back in London, seemed very nice for the price. I believe they're made in the USA/Canada, which i suspect is pretty good for the price.

How loud did you have the classic 30 and laney? the laney really started to pull ahead, IMO, at loud volumes...

EDIT: i also think it's funny how I've palmed off my nut width phobia onto you... and nice work with the lying. The stories I've told to get to try stuff...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sweet! How much was the Godin? I tried a super strat a while back in London, seemed very nice for the price. I believe they're made in the USA/Canada, which i suspect is pretty good for the price.

How loud did you have the classic 30 and laney? the laney really started to pull ahead, IMO, at loud volumes...

EDIT: i also think it's funny how I've palmed off my nut width phobia onto you... and nice work with the lying. The stories I've told to get to try stuff...

It retailed in the shop for £799, I expect it'd be cheaper online or that you could haggle them down. They use Canadian wood, and assemble them in the US, I think.

I didn't have them that loud, but loud enough that the power amp was starting to kick in a bit. I've only started to play loud at home recently, let alone in guitar shops. My playing goes to pieces for some reason

The nut width thing is an odd one, I never really noticed it until you mentioned it, but then again I played nothing but my guitar for about a year so I've got really used to 43mm. I still blame you though

The lying was fun, though at some point I thought "What on earth am I talking about?" to myself.

My Music
All godins are damn great! So under-rated!

I have a radiator! Best guitar I own and so damn versitile with the two pups volume for blendin!

I never liked the Blues Delux! Always imo the outcast of fender! bar the SS's!

Quote by timi_hendrix
They use Canadian wood, and assemble them in the US, I think.

yup!
^^ (to timi's last post) haha, my best one ever was in sound control in edinburgh.

i went in the first day asking to try high gainers. I tried a recto, fallen angel, marshall tsl etc. Problem was they still had a classic 30, peavey valveking etc. which i wanted to try, but i got tired/lazy so decided i'd go and come back the next day.

Anyway, i came in the next day and the same guy was in the store. I spent about 5 minutes trying to sneak around avoiding him (no joke, it was like something out of 24), finally got another sales guy's attention, and got him to plug me into the combos. Problem was, at this point i couldn't sneak around any more (obviously enough), so the other dude caught me. I think my excuse was something along the lines of "although I want high gain, i think i prefer the tone of a boosted lower gain amp"... or something sheepish like that.

as for the nut width thing: certainly, playing more guitars should make it easier. I got like you from only playing my ibanez. Now i basically force myself to play my kramer almost as much as my other (43mm) guitars- it's still a little harder, but I can work with it now. And it's worth it because of the other guitars it means you can consider. Obviously playing other guitars might not cure it for you, as everyone's different etc. And obviously given the choice between two identical guitars apart from the nut width, i'd pick the 43mm one every time... but it's almost certain you'll never find two identical guitars bar the nut width, and at least now if I find an otherwise perfect guitar, I can consider it. EDIT: that being said, there are always one or two where i just can't adjust to the width, i tried a couple of (otherwise extremely nice) Japanese Tokais like that...

£799's quite a bit... then again, if it's badass, that's not too bad a price. I think the one I tried was around £300-£350. They have a couple of nice ones around that price, just i don't really know of any stockists close to me. There used to be one in dublin, they may have stopped stocking them (and even if they haven't, dublin prices are a joke)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 11, 2007,
Quote by False_God
All godins are damn great! So under-rated!

I have a radiator! Best guitar I own and so damn versitile with the two pups volume for blendin!

I never liked the Blues Delux! Always imo the outcast of fender! bar the SS's!

yup!

plus it'll heat your room too.

>_>

i tried one of the fender deville combos the other day (couldn't tell if it was a hot rod or blues)... when i switched to the overdrive channel i thought it was broken it sucked so much. I mean, jeez. Why even have an overdrive channel? o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
plus it'll heat your room too.

>_>

i tried one of the fender deville combos the other day (couldn't tell if it was a hot rod or blues)... when i switched to the overdrive channel i thought it was broken it sucked so much. I mean, jeez. Why even have an overdrive channel? o_O

I forgot to mention the Blues Deluxe's "more drive" setting... it sounded like a big muff with everything on full going through a 2" speaker. i.e. not good.

The nut width thing isn't as much of a bother as I make out... to be honest, it's normally an annoyance in conjunction with a thin neck, as I'm used to a thicker one. For example, when I play a 42mm strat it feels different, but nice. But it it's a 42mm wizard, I find it harder to get to grips with.

My Music
^ yeah, i know what you mean. neck profiles generally don't seem to annoy me that much. no idea why.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Awesome dude! I'm glad you enjoyed the VC30. The Godin seems nice, from what you've said too.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I'm the same way, I can't stand the ibby necks. I have a peavey with a miniscule neck profile (I measured, it's like 19mm at the nut, 22mm at the 12th) and I'd sell it right away if it weren't a collector's item. I think the fender necks are perfect. Nice spam. And I do the lying thing, too- last time I went in I was after a high-gain amp with a $2000 budget.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
I'm the same way, I can't stand the ibby necks. I have a peavey with a miniscule neck profile (I measured, it's like 19mm at the nut, 22mm at the 12th) and I'd sell it right away if it weren't a collector's item. I think the fender necks are perfect. Nice spam. And I do the lying thing, too- last time I went in I was after a high-gain amp with a $2000 budget.

I don't know what I'm going to say next time I'm in there.

"Oh, I've joined a Metallica tribute band so the classic rock amp is on hold... windsor plz?"

My Music
^

you'd have to say you've joined an early 80's metallica tribute band.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
isn't the JS neck slightly bigger than the wizard neck on the RGs?
haven't tried one out yet
I think so, but it's still an ibby.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I can usually walk into Guitar Center, pick up whatever I want, plug into whatever I want and play without anybody saying anything. Actually, I was playing a VJ in the "Loud Room" or something... (a small room they keep some high end gear in that's isolated and relatively sound proof- I like it because I'm by myself and I don't worry much about other people hearing my crappy playing.) and a guy walked by and saw me through the glass door, gave me a thumbs up, and mouthed "that's a great little amp, huh?" then walked away.
Quote by tubab0y
I think so, but it's still an ibby.

but its only got 22 frets anyway
so unless I explicitly fell in love with the neck profile and general feel, I'd be looking at something to the more Fendery side with the concoction of a superstrat (that G&L Invader looks pretty hot)
http://jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

Okay, I cheated.

And yeah, I can't remember what it was, but my local shop had this amazing guitar that had a smaller body like an ibby S series but a thicker neck.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I can usually walk into Guitar Center, pick up whatever I want, plug into whatever I want and play without anybody saying anything. Actually, I was playing a VJ in the "Loud Room" or something... (a small room they keep some high end gear in that's isolated and relatively sound proof- I like it because I'm by myself and I don't worry much about other people hearing my crappy playing.) and a guy walked by and saw me through the glass door, gave me a thumbs up, and mouthed "that's a great little amp, huh?" then walked away.

I wish they had those booths here, the electric rooms are down in the basement but the sound just goes straight up the stairs. You always get some idiot playing a spider or similar really loud in the other room

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I forgot to mention the Blues Deluxe's "more drive" setting... it sounded like a big muff with everything on full going through a 2" speaker. i.e. not good.

Sounds like you were playing a Hot Rod, the Blues Deluxe doesn't have the "more drive" setting, at least not in the US.

I gotta try this Laney VC30. Thing is, I love the Peavey Delta Blues, so maybe we just have dofferent tastes. Makes me wonder if I'll like the Laney. Although I like a bright voice, too, but Deluxe Reverb has gotten a lot of love since I bought it.

I spent some time in the guitar store today, too. I plugged everything into a Fender Blues Deluxe, 'cause I like it so much! PLayed a used American Jaguar that was beautiful, but broke my heart because the bridge had issues. Couldn't bend the bottom two strings without deadening them.

I also tried a VG Strat for the first time. All I can say is that it's not for me. I acually thought the acoustic and 12-string (which is really just a chorus) settings were pretty cool, but otherwise the alternate tunings were annoying, and the models were less than interesting. Had a couple synthesizer type sounds that just made me feel like I shouldn't be plugged into a tube amp. It was sad.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by tubab0y
Haha, last time I went into a guitar store I was "looking for a Classic Rock/Blues guitar and amp with a £2000 ($4000) budget, and the salesman didn't even question the fact that I'm 15

Man, I want a VC30. Only a couple months to go...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by slatsmania
Sounds like you were playing a Hot Rod, the Blues Deluxe doesn't have the "more drive" setting, at least not in the US.

I gotta try this Laney VC30. Thing is, I love the Peavey Delta Blues, so maybe we just have dofferent tastes. Makes me wonder if I'll like the Laney. Although I like a bright voice, too, but Deluxe Reverb has gotten a lot of love since I bought it.

I spent some time in the guitar store today, too. I plugged everything into a Fender Blues Deluxe, 'cause I like it so much! PLayed a used American Jaguar that was beautiful, but broke my heart because the bridge had issues. Couldn't bend the bottom two strings without deadening them.

I also tried a VG Strat for the first time. All I can say is that it's not for me. I acually thought the acoustic and 12-string (which is really just a chorus) settings were pretty cool, but otherwise the alternate tunings were annoying, and the models were less than interesting. Had a couple synthesizer type sounds that just made me feel like I shouldn't be plugged into a tube amp. It was sad.

Hmm, I've looked it up and it probably was the Hot Rod. I probably should've checked the name on the back, but meh. Cheers for correcting me, I'm quite relieved

How did you find the sound of the Delta blues? In terms of well, bright, dark, bassy, whatever.

My Music
Quote by slatsmania

..You bought a Deluxe Reverb? When?
Quote by slatsmania

ah in that case the one i tried was the hot rod too. I couldn't see any model markings on it, and some of the writing from the control panel had been scraped off. but yeah, the overdrive on the HRD is horrible. useless, in fact.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ replace the volume pot?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've edited the first post to correct the blues/hot rod confusion.

I really want a VC30 now, though where I'm going to get the money from is anybody's guess.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
How did you find the sound of the Delta blues? In terms of well, bright, dark, bassy, whatever.

It's not a bright amp at all. I find it to sound very similar to the AC30, frankly. Kinda throaty, rich in the mids. I play mostly on the neck pickup, too. I like that deeper sound. I think it lives up to it's name, as in it's a very bluesy amp. It's great for SRV type tones.

Quote by mr_hankey
..You bought a Deluxe Reverb? When?

Saw a good price on one two weeks ago an hour away from me and took the trip. It's a an older reissue with a couple scuffs on the front, but it's a great sounding amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
It's not a bright amp at all. I find it to sound very similar to the AC30, frankly. Kinda throaty, rich in the mids. I play mostly on the neck pickup, too. I like that deeper sound. I think it lives up to it's name, as in it's a very bluesy amp. It's great for SRV type tones.

Thanks, I might have another bash with it next time I'm in there.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Thanks, I might have another bash with it next time I'm in there.

I like 'em in the store, but to be honest, the one I spend the most time with is owned by a mod-loving buddy of mine. I'm pretty sure he disconnected a wire or two that he felt made all the difference in the world. Maybe it did.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I like 'em in the store, but to be honest, the one I spend the most time with is owned by a mod-loving buddy of mine. I'm pretty sure he disconnected a wire or two that he felt made all the difference in the world. Maybe it did.

Damn mod-freaks.

My Music