Right, so I have an Ibanez GRG170DX-BKN Gio and after doing a routine string change then trying to tune, the bridge would keep lifting out and I can't make it stop. With every string I manage ro put in tune another is put out and the bridge just keeps coming out higher and higher. I looked it up online and some site called it "string shock" but gave no details how to fix the problem.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Last edited by Brandon860 at Aug 11, 2007,
Tried tightening the screws on the trem claw to pull it back down?
Or tuning them at a certain order.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by CamaroEric+
if you changed the gauge thatll do it. youll either have to go back to the same gauge or set it up so it works with the new string size

Well I regularly use Ernie Ball Super Slinky custom gauge but I put D'Addario EXL115 this time round.

Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Tried tightening the screws on the trem claw to pull it back down?
Or tuning them at a certain order.

Yup, tried both, No dice.
Quote by richwatkinson

TheDudeBox
tune first the 6th string then the 1st, 5th then 2nd, 4th then 3rd, and repeat this order until the bridge stabilizes i've got the same problem until i chaged to a vintage vibrato guitar
try adding another spring
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
ok, i locked the bridge and was able to get the guitar in tune, t raised out a little but not even as close as the amount before. But if I unlock it will it be ****ed up again? I mean I want to use my whammy at some point
Quote by richwatkinson

TheDudeBox
Have you tried changing the spring tension to equal out the pull of the new strings?
Quote by rg732122
Have you tried changing the spring tension to equal out the pull of the new strings?

how do you change string tension?
Quote by richwatkinson

TheDudeBox
Quote by Brandon860
whoops, yah I mean spring tension

Same way I said earlier.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
You don't neccesarily need to "change" anything...what you're describing is normal behaviour for a floating bridge. The clue is in the name, it's floating, meaning it isn't resting on anything. It depends on the balance between the springs and the strings. If you change anything it all goes out of wack. That means if you change the tuning one of the strings you send all the others out, that's just what happens. You have to keep going back over your tuning and eventually it settles down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Brandon860
how do you change string tension?

There is 2 phillips screws in the back cavity of the guitar (you don't even have to take the little cover off). Just turn those screws to level out the bridge. You may have to tune, then turn , then tune again untill the tension on the springs is just right. I have this guitar and i had the same problem.....If you go to the Ibanez site , there is an online manual with pictures and all kinds of good info.
Quote by Toilet_Duck©
There is 2 phillips screws in the back cavity of the guitar (you don't even have to take the little cover off). Just turn those screws to level out the bridge. You may have to tune, then turn , then tune again untill the tension on the springs is just right. I have this guitar and i had the same problem.....If you go to the Ibanez site , there is an online manual with pictures and all kinds of good info.

I changed the strings on my floating bridge guitar to a set of d'addario EJ16s (which were probably a different gauge, yes. They were the only strings I had and I don't know what gauge the previous strings were). I am an absolute newbie at this. The guitar is a Parker P-38. My problem is the fact that no matter what I try, the bridge will not settle down. It tilts forward no matter how far I screw in the screws in the back. By the time I gave up, the screws had about 1/3 to 1/5 of an inch left to be screwed, and I figured this was likely such an unholy situation it was unwise to proceed further. I tried just tuning it with the tilted bridge, but of course it lost tune within minutes. Can someone help me? Or should I start a new thread?