Page 1 of 2
I think there's nothing really wrong with them. I own two and they sound good to me. But I've heard they suck too. I've played some $100 Squiers and I can actually say they sound pretty bad, but the $250-$300 ones which both of mine are are much better. And they're cheap too. But what does anyone else think? Just share thoughts.
I think they are really good start guitars(the 100$ ones). I have never played the 200-300$ ones tho, but i can imagne that they couldn't be to bad. Squier is just what epiphone is to gibson, but epiphones are better.
There's nothing wrong with them really... My first guitar was a Squier HH Strat which i'm currently redoing. Had a mahogany body and a surprisingly nice neck.

Why is this in GG&A?
There's nothing wrong with em, just people who see the Squier logo say "OMFG ITS NOT A FENDER, IT SUCKS BALLS!!!" I played a Mahogany Squier that was actually pretty nice.
yeah, i actually like squires as well, and like some other guy before me, i love epi, but they own the squire
Quote by jman007_93
Guitar-Fin can I ask you something? What do you think of your Epi LP 100? I was thinking about that as my next guitar. Or a Epi LP Custom.

Well what type of music you play?
Ive only played one squire in my time. didn't much care for the tone, it was one of the cheaper models though. i payed like 185 for it for my friend.. although it might have been one of the $300 ones, it was used and i worked at the store... so small discount.
I hate squiers honestly. It depends on how they are set up, what model it is, and so on, but they aren't even close to a quality guitar. I am not saying I won't play them, but there are much better starter guitars, and if you can pay over a hundred dollars, then I don't think you should be getting a Squier.

My personal squier has the frets worn out so they are sharp, chips on the neck, and it sounds horrible through an amp. However, I will still play it without an amp, to practice scales and such when I am too lazy to get my Epiphone.

My friend has a really nicely setup one, and I play that almost daily when I am over at his house, of course still sounds really terrible through an amp.

Another of my friends has a pretty nice one, but the sustain is horrible. I can't even get double stops because there is almost no sustain on the G string.

It depends on each guitar, and they are great for beginners. Once you get past a certain place in playing though, they just don't cut it.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Anyway, an LP Custom is gonna bring a better tone...but i still like my LP for the price(i got it for 250, it was 180 a while ago after i got mine but idk if it still is). But the only main problem i see with mine is that it gets out of tune here and there but its not that big of a problem, and the jack gets a bit loose sometimes so you have to tighten it...again not a big problem but its a hassel sometimes.
I have an Affinity series strat and still play it now, IMHO they're great budget guitars.
Plays great and through a nice amp it should sound good too.

I won't go one and say it's a perfect Fender but at that price you get something that's worth the value.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
There's nothing technically "wrong" with them. They're off-brand Fenders. The problem lies in that most of the time for their price they aren't the best choice. A low-end Ibanez is way better than a similar priced Squire.

As a brand, they're just not good considering their competition. On the low-end, they are beaten by "might as well be no name" brands and then big names like Ibanez, Yamaha, etc., and on the high-end they are just terrible. A high-end Epiphone rivals it's Gibson equivalent, but NO Squire rivals it's Fender equivalent.
"God has a sense of humor. Just look at the Platypus."
I remember buying a starter pack when I began playing. The Squier strat I got with it was, first of all, set-up horribly. It wouldn't stay in tune, and the pickups were shoddily put in. The volume knob was cracked (massively), and the tone knob was screwy. Here's the kicker: the wiring job looked like a rabid monkey on a bathtub water drinking spree did it. They were loose, and, heh, if you turned the tone knob too far, the volume knob would move, too. Fantastic. Needless to say, I returned it. Good luck.
They are a bad starter Guitar
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
I don't think it's right to compare the Squire->Fender relationship to Epiphone->Gibson. A more realistic comparison would be Mexican Fenders->American Fenders to the latter. As stated above, epiphones are generally better than squires, but that's only because of faulty comparison. Depending on the epiphone model, I think I would take a mexican strat over an epiphone.
I love my Squier. Zomg it has agathis for da ****ty tonewood!!1!! (Says everyone with $1000 basswood body Ibanez')

I think they're fine guitars and good value. I've never had a problem with my Telecaster. I still play it all the time and I have plenty of more expensive guitars.

Most people who are always bagging them out either

a) Bought one expecting it to be a Fender because they were n00bs
b) Never even tried one before, heard someone else say they suck and just repeats it or
c) Their rich mummy bought them all their guitars
I personally don't like most squires, not because of the fact that they can't be good guitars, just that the parts that the factory skips out on are the ones that count, like crappy bridges and nuts, but if you replace those, and the pickups your on your way to a decent guitar. So I'd say I like modified squires, but most of the factory ones are just sad IMO.

Quote by jman007_93
Guitar-Fin can I ask you something? What do you think of your Epi LP 100? I was thinking about that as my next guitar. Or a Epi LP Custom.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't buy the LP100, that's as bad as a $100 Squire, they really are the cheapest made LP you can buy. It may take you longer to save the money but you will thank me later.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Squiers are fine, I've got a heavily modded strat and I've also got a heavily modded Epi SG G310. Since I bought my MIA Telecaster, the only other guitar that get's played is the strat, and I play it a lot. The SG looks pretty, It's had pretty much the same treatment as the strat in terms of mods, but it doesn't play as well as the Squier.

Squier necks are almost as good as Fender MIA necks, and the body is Alder. All the bits that they do skimp on are easily changed.
I've only played my friends Standard Squier Strat unplugged and to be honest, it was terrible. I was lucky enough to start playing electric on a MIM Tele and it just couldn't compare.

It goes out of tune every 5 minutes, he just put on new strings and they sounded like they've been used for a year. They neck had a horrible feel and overall it just felt like a toy.

Maybe it was just his one because I've heard you can great ones, and terrible ones too. The same could be said for any line of guitars, you just have to play and play them until you find the best ones. Now I'm not saying my Fender "is liek teh greatst", I was just completely surprised and shocked by Squier that the could sell such a peice of ****. Hes my been my best friend since I was like 6 so I'm not gonna tell him, I'll just let him figure it out when he plays mine

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Affinity Tele, Jagmaster and the '51 all roxors.
IN fact I plan on picking up an affinity tele at some point.
You just need to go into the shop and check it out yourself. Make sure you don't get stuck with a bad one.

Of course no mention of the 80s MIJ Squiers. Better than mexicans and some USA ones aren't they?
My Affinity Strat is fine for the price. It even has Alpha pots by some strange stroke of luck. The quality control is ridiculously hit 'n' miss though - I've played some that have tuners that don't work, and some that rival MIM Fenders. Mine is definitely worth keeping. They do seem to use whatever they can get their hands on though - I've seen many new ones with mismatched or different quality screws, pickups, springs, pots in my case and whatnot.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
My Squire was a fairly good guitar from Factory, now I have had it set up by a guitar tec, PU replaced by good brand name ones, and some other $hit done to it. IMHO and other peoples opions its nearly(not as perfect as but) as good as a MIA strat.
+ Considering the price £125 for the guitar £325 for a lot of modifacatoins = £450
MIM= £300ish
MIA= £650ish
What you put in is what you get out, Also my squire was my first guitar + has some sentimental value aswell.
Squire Strats/ MIM are perfect for Projects / Modding aswell,
So Squires are good.
^Bloody hell - you spent even more than I did on my Squier!!!

I agree that if you spend enough it's almost as good as an MIA, it's certainly better than any MIM I've played, and since I put Sperzel locking tuners in it stays in tune beautifully.

I did have someone who knew what they were doing come to the shop when I bought it - I'd recommend that when you are new to guitar... There are so many horror stories, there must be some truth in the quality control problems.
There's nothing wrong with Squier, it's just, they do have a bad reputation because they are known as Fender's low end guitars, I had a Squier HM Strat, total bummer letting it go but I had to make some room for my Jackson Kelly, Never trust name brands, my squier had a better sound/playability than quite a few Fender Strats I played.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Never really liked Squiers personally, but I've tried some of the Squiers, and some of them actually sounded pretty good. Squier '51, Jagmaster, and some of the more expensive Strats. I would imagine that they're great for project guitars. I'm thinking of getting a squier tele body or a MIM tele for project stuff.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
The affinity series are nice guitars for beginners.
Although the Bullet series are IMHO kinda crappy.
People ask this question too often.

There's nothing wrong with squiers at all in general, its just that this site is overcrowded with idiots who bash the cheap brands to try to make them look like they know what they are talking about. They also copy people who said they didn't like squiers. Also squier earn themselves a bad reputation at times too, like discontinuing the '51, Pete Wentz (if i spelt that wrong, who cares) signature p-bass etc...

But i can honestly say as a guitar there is nothing wrong with them that a little extra work can't fix, and when they are all stock they make pretty good beginner guitars.

I know a lot of sheepish "I can play holiday" kids will use this against squier when they say "sqire sux", but the only real problem i can think of is the shoddy stock wiring. Usually they will come with cold solder joints, or generally untidy/lazy wiring, i realised this a couple of days ago when i looked at the output jack on my affinity strat, the end of the earth wire was actually sticking out of the solder joint in a way that it could actually touch the tip of the jack when plugged in. an easy fix, but were you really expecting professional quality from an inexpensive instrument?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
There are better starter guitars out there.

If you like your guitar, then who gives a crap what other people think?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Nothing is wrong with them, they did a really good job with the Vintage Modified series.
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
I have an Affinity Squier, it's nice, it ain't great but it's nice. Once you buy it you need to spend an hour or so setting up the action and stuff like that, but for a beginner guitar, it's awesome, plus the only thing that matters to me it's made of Alder which means later on I can rip the thing apart and put good stuff in it, and it will make a descent guitar. The most important thing about them is that they are made of whatever lies around the factory, mine doesn't have matching screws for all the pickups

Also the Bullet series is just... crap, so don't buy bullets and you are fine
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Quote by Blompcube
People ask this question too often.

There's nothing wrong with squiers at all in general, its just that this site is overcrowded with idiots who bash the cheap brands to try to make them look like they know what they are talking about. They also copy people who said they didn't like squiers. Also squier earn themselves a bad reputation at times too, like discontinuing the '51, Pete Wentz (if i spelt that wrong, who cares) signature p-bass etc...

But i can honestly say as a guitar there is nothing wrong with them that a little extra work can't fix, and when they are all stock they make pretty good beginner guitars.

I know a lot of sheepish "I can play holiday" kids will use this against squier when they say "sqire sux", but the only real problem i can think of is the shoddy stock wiring. Usually they will come with cold solder joints, or generally untidy/lazy wiring, i realised this a couple of days ago when i looked at the output jack on my affinity strat, the end of the earth wire was actually sticking out of the solder joint in a way that it could actually touch the tip of the jack when plugged in. an easy fix, but were you really expecting professional quality from an inexpensive instrument?

This all leads back to quality control. My Squier is perfectly soldered

I think it's a bit much to say they can equal MIA fenders. Sure you can get them to the same spec - but the MIA Fender necks I've tried feel in a different universe to Squiers.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Speaking of Squiers are the 90's models any good?

I found this old one with a metallic purple finish and a white glittery neck for $70...even said Fender on the headstock but Squier in small letters to the side.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Well a lot of guys in GB&C talk about replacing the pickups.

www.guitarfetish.com try looking here for some inexpensive stuff.

get a new nut. they are pretty much a joke on 90% of factory guitars. once you get it done to one of your guitars, youll want it done on all of them.
Quote by MrCarrot
This all leads back to quality control. My Squier is perfectly soldered

yes of course, there will be well soldered models, my standard tele is fine, but thats the only one i've seen that is well soldered. In addition to that, it seems to have good hardware, generally a good quality guitar that plays nicely.

I guess the real answer to the question is "Quality control". Because some are great for the price, others will be shoddy.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I took apart one of my Standard Strats and saw that it had 3 Alpha Caps in it. What's weird is one of my guitars looks like the guy who had it before me took it in and had everything that needs to be replaced. The other one is all somewhat screwed up here and there.
My squier kicks ass. Its a Squier Stagemaster HH. Great looking red/black. Floyd rose tremelo, 24 frets. 200-300$. The Stagemaster/Showmaster series' would be much more popular if it did not have the assumed squier quality
Page 1 of 2