I want to play some Meshuggah songs that are tuned in Eb, but a full octave lower.

What gauge of strings should I put on my guitar? (I will order a custom set of strings)
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
the biggest set of strings you can get for a 7 string and throw away the first string

you'll probably have to widen the slots in the nut
You mean like a bass?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
It can't be done unless you use an ocatve pedal I don't think.

The strings, no matter what guage, will be floppy as hell.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
it's not big enough.. I already tried =/

actually I have a 7-string set without the high string (so it's 13 to 58), but I can't really go lower than F.. even in F it's really really sloppy..

maybe 14 to 64 or 70?

the only problem I can see is that my guitar is a Les Paul, so it has a 24.75" scale, maybe I can put those on my Strat, which is 25.5" scale.

what do you think?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Last edited by alex3996 at Aug 11, 2007,
13s really can't go much lower than Bb standard, dude. If I were you, I'd look at strings for a baritone guitar. I don't know how well that will work, never tried it, but I've seen gauges like .016-.070 which is probably what you would need. If you do it then message me later and tell me how it works out, I'm interested to know.
go for an octave pedal, like the boss OC-3 and just mute the volume of the original note
Quote by richwatkinson
How come your on here for advice?

Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by troyponce
13s really can't go much lower than Bb standard, dude. If I were you, I'd look at strings for a baritone guitar. I don't know how well that will work, never tried it, but I've seen gauges like .016-.070 which is probably what you would need. If you do it then message me later and tell me how it works out, I'm interested to know.

Which compagny make those 016-070 strings?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Octave Pedal. Or get a bass.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
New ibby 8 string?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by troyponce
D'Addario does, I bet others do too. http://www.juststrings.com/daddariobaritoneguitar.html. That could get you started. Keep in mind that most baritone guitars are slightly longer scale, so I'd go for the 16s over the 15s. Again, this is all speculation on my part, I've never used anything heavier than 13s.

though those are acoustic strings, don't think the work on an electric

maybe the Fender Bass VI strings or whatever those are?
.025 to .095
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-5350-Bass-VI-Stainless-6string-Bass-Strings?sku=101288
Quote by tubab0y
New ibby 8 string?

I would like to have one.. but I just don't have the money for a new guitar.. I just bought my Ibanez S520EX and I'm still broken.. and I don't really need a new guitar for now.. I already own 3 electric lol

I was thinking getting an octave pedal.. since I don't want to screw up my Les Paul or my Strat

how much do they cost? and how do they work?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Y'know, there's a reason they make baritone guitars....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^ He said he doesnt have enough money for a new guitar. But i agree that would be the smart thing to do.
so, my best option for the money is to get a octave pedal (since I want to sell my Les Paul, so I don't want to screw it up)

do they sound great, good, average, bad or crappy? lol
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
they definitely don't sound the same as actually being tuned down to that, or actually playing a bass guitar
Quote by seljer
though those are acoustic strings, don't think the work on an electric

maybe the Fender Bass VI strings or whatever those are?
.025 to .095
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-5350-Bass-VI-Stainless-6string-Bass-Strings?sku=101288

Wow, I feel silly now. http://www.juststrings.com/labellabaritoneguitar.html will have some ELECTRIC baritone strings.

I would not use strings that are designed for a six string bass. I'm a bassist first and a guitarist second, my main axe is a six stringer, and those strings would ruin your guitar. Way too much tension, you'd have to reshape the nut, and you wouldn't be able to play well on them at all. Also, a six string bass is tuned BEADGC, so you'd be ****ed either way. That link you sent is crazy light gauge for a bass, but way too heavy for guitar.
Quote by troyponce
Wow, I feel silly now. http://www.juststrings.com/labellabaritoneguitar.html will have some ELECTRIC baritone strings.

I would not use strings that are designed for a six string bass. I'm a bassist first and a guitarist second, my main axe is a six stringer, and those strings would ruin your guitar. Way too much tension, you'd have to reshape the nut, and you wouldn't be able to play well on them at all. Also, a six string bass is tuned BEADGC, so you'd be ****ed either way. That link you sent is crazy light gauge for a bass, but way too heavy for guitar.

The Fender VI is an older six-string bass that's tuned EADGBe, but an octave down. It's pretty much a low-tuned Jaguar, whammy and all.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Be careful with that.
I ordered a .072 for the low B on my 7 string to tighten up the sound, and I had to drill out the tuner to get it to fit.

Fortunately my dad is a machinist, so I just went into our basement and used one of his industrial-strength drill presses, but you don't want to order a 12 dollar pack of 16-80's and have them not fit.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by littlemurph7976
^^ He said he doesnt have enough money for a new guitar. But i agree that would be the smart thing to do.

He might as well have said he wants to play cello music, but can't afford one - a normal guitar won't tune that low, therefore just have to forget about learning those particualr songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

...Or just play it an octave higher
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by which ones pink
Warmoth makes baritone necks that fit on a Strat.

I like this idea

maybe I will save some money for a baritone strat neck

but, what's would be the better sound quality/price upgrade:

- An octave pedal ~ 115$
or
- A baritone neck for my strat ~ 170$

I don't have much money now, so I want to be sure to save for the best option available to get the sound I want
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
I honestly wouldn't bother wasting money on stuff that's not going to be all that useful. Your amp should be the priority at the moment...an octave pedal honeslt isn't goint to sound all that great for what you want. More to the point, you don't have an amp that'll pull off those sounds convincingly.

If you want to play stuff that low then converting the strat is the best option short of buying a new guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I want to sell my Les Paul to get a new amp, and the neck upgrade would be a good idea since I don't really play with my strat anymore, with the new neck I will use it more often

but there's nothing done yet, so I still can change my mind
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Last edited by alex3996 at Aug 12, 2007,
Oh, you'll want a bass amp too. A guitar amp won't handle frequencies that low.
Quote by dudetheman

Why not use some acoustic strings then?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by FacingUsAll
...Or just play it an octave higher

+1

I think the threadstarter doesn't realise he actually wants to play bass.
Quote by mr_hankey
+1

I think the threadstarter doesn't realise he actually wants to play bass.

I believe Meshuggah DO have a bassist, I've got no idea if he's playing an extra octave lower as well
Quote by seljer
I believe Meshuggah DO have a bassist, I've got no idea if he's playing an extra octave lower as well

I'm not sure about currently, but for a while there they didn't have one because it was pointless.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by tubab0y
New ibby 8 string?

Man.. I want one of them.. Just to say: I have 8-strings.

Hmm... This has to one of my most meaningless posts ever.
Meshuggah guitarists use 8-string GUITARS, not basses, and they do play an octave lower.

They are the heaviest band ever
In this video, you can see the drummer and one guitarist from Meshuggah, you can clearly see
that he plays an 8-string, but he only use 6 of them (that's why there is a tape on the 2 high strings), notice how low is the guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8&mode=related&search=

btw, I didn't want to be mean or anything, it's just that people don't read what's written before posting and I'm a bit tired of that
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
I really wouldn't reccomend tuning lower than C on normal scale guitars, they'll sound really sloppy and you'll need to have your action really high to avoid fret buzz. For really low tunings (B and lower) there's usually baritone guitars, which have a longer neck.

And by the way... I don't think any Meshuggah songs are tuned in Eb. They're either played on 7 strings in Bb (Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) or on 8 strings, where the tunings vary a bit more.

And in that video Fredrik is using a 7-string.
I'm a communist. Really.
Last edited by Raziel2p at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by alex3996
Meshuggah guitarists use 8-string GUITARS, not basses, and they do play an octave lower.

They are the heaviest band ever
In this video, you can see the drummer and one guitarist from Meshuggah, you can clearly see
that he plays an 8-string, but he only use 6 of them (that's why there is a tape on the 2 high strings), notice how low is the guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8&mode=related&search=

btw, I didn't want to be mean or anything, it's just that people don't read what's written before posting and I'm a bit tired of that

erm.. thats a seven string

EDIT: Darn beat me to it
sorry... I don't see clear apparently..

but, yeah, they do play in Eb or F, when they use their 8 string they tune it in Drop Eb (Eb Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb)

but I don't really need those 2 high strings

btw, I may just forget those songs and play their A# ones since I don't have the money to do so, I want a new amp and pickups for my shredding guitar
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal