Anyone have any cool stories about how they acquired any of their gear? The guitar I learned to play on, for instance, was one that my mom traded some guy a sandwich for in college.
read job
I got mine from an enchanted music supplies store, in a magical town ..with roads and 4 wheeled racey transports.
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
My dad bought a guitar back in '84 for $200 used, it's in pristine condition and is the one i use today. He never learned to play so I started playing around with it and taught myself.
Ben
My first guitar was bought from a pawn shop in Gosford, and then my second i bought on eBay and it ended up being at the same shop! that was pretty strange.
my first guitar was a yamaha my mom (well her dad) bought in 1976 so she could be in her high schools jazz band. it was her first guitar too. i still have it and its in near mint condition, i play it all the time.
my friends father was drunk, he swaped a gisbon sg for a hayman guitar with dual-humbuckers, he later installed single coil pickups....only he was sober at that point O_O

thats how my friend got his guitar (that sucks, poor dudE)

but i got no good stories bout mine =[
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
Quote by Diamond Dave
i got my first guitar from a music shop

got my second from the same shop, that was pretty cool

traded my '72 tele thinine in for a '50s classic player strat cause the bridge on the tele was screwed. best. trade. ever.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
also, i was in my local guitar center and saw tom morello. he was just in there pickin up a guitar.

that ebay thing happened to me too. i bought a guitar on ebay and it happened to be from the local shop, that was really cool.
Last edited by CamaroEric+ at Aug 11, 2007,
its got me laid. the end.
Quote by McClean05
Sweep picking if i could actually get faster at it. But overall . . everything. Every technique in guitar playing is worth learning or playing. Nice thread by the way
I got my guitar while on a trip to a magical land. A land called... Hoogie Boogie Land.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
I mentioned to my cousin (who is a guitarist) that I was thinking of taking up guitar. He says, awesome, here, I'll give you some magazines to check out and see if there's anything you like. A week later, he comes to my house and gives me a PRS Custom SE 24 and says "well...here ya go."

He is the coolest guy I have ever met in my life, ever.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
heres my story.

musicians friend was taking thier sweet time shipping my new floyd rose guitar, so i decided to cancel it. so thursday, i used the money from the order to buy a used gamecube and some new games. yesterday im chillin with my new cube and zelda, and the ups dude brings me the guitar and strap and picks and stuff that i had cancelled.

so i scored. seriously. an awesome new guitar AND a freakin zelda game.
If your wiener is happy, then you're happy.
i bought my guitar at a shop, but didnt have the money at the moment, so the guy let me take it home and come back and pay him 3 days later!! it was pretty sweet and he didnt seem to mind that i could just not come back.
alright you guys will love this story........

so i get in my box with four wheels and drive to guitar center. i played a few and then bought a guitar with green paper called money.
we moved into a new house. and there was a bunch of junk in the attic from the last people, among the junk was a 1958 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, just needed new volume/tone knobs.
Quote by LustGardenBlues
heres my story.

musicians friend was taking thier sweet time shipping my new floyd rose guitar, so i decided to cancel it. so thursday, i used the money from the order to buy a used gamecube and some new games. yesterday im chillin with my new cube and zelda, and the ups dude brings me the guitar and strap and picks and stuff that i had cancelled.

so i scored. seriously. an awesome new guitar AND a freakin zelda game.

I have a similair story. I recently ordered Fender/Schaller locking tuners from Guitar Center.com, and after about 3 weeks of waiting (should've been "2-5 Days") I canceled the order. I canceled on either last Monday or Tuesday (I forget), and then, come Friday I get my tuners! So I got my money back, and got $70 tuners for free! But I remember a friend of mine got pissed at me because she said it was a "moral issue" and that I didn't earn the tuners.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Here is how I came upon my rare early '80s Kramer Focus 1000:

My uncle was doing a boiler job in some guys basement, and he saw the guitar up in the corner on a shelf, it was looking a little beat up and dusty (neglected). When my uncle went upstairs to give the guy the bill he asked him what was up with the guitar and if he wanted to sell it. The guy said he could have it. So my uncle brought it home re strung it and played it for a few months. Then he bought a les paul and gave the Kramer to me, not realizing it is worth a good chunk of change.
Quote by metallifan1
alright you guys will love this story........

so i get in my box with four wheels and drive to guitar center. i played a few and then bought a guitar with green paper called money.

Phail.

I got my guitar from my Dad who won it in a bet with his friend who was drunk when he made the bet.
I think he stopped drinking after then.
I got some old Harmony electric from a pawn shop for $25.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton