Alright for years I have not obeyed one of the most important rules on this message board:

Playing an awesome guitar on a crap amp!

The amp I am currently playing on is this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG15DFX-Combo-Amp?sku=483187

I play a Fender Strat American and I listen to a wide assortment of music, I like to play a lot of Tom Morello (RATM and Audioslave) and John Mayer music.

I was looking into a tube amp and I heard the fender hot rod deluxe amp was very nice. although i think the 40 watts is a lot (and i heard its a very loud amp). I don't need a very powerful amp, I just want something that sounds good that will last me a good long time. I don't expect to go gigging, but if I ever did I would like it that my amp would be able to handle it. As or right now I'm more of a bedroom guitarist.

Does anyone have any suggestions for amp choices with my style of music? Price isn't a big issue I know that you get what you pay for and I would rather get something good and costly then something cheap and crappy. Also I'm a fan of Fender and would like to continue using them

thanks guys.
Member of the group Morelloism.
if you like the hot rod deluxe, try the blues junior. it's 15watts which is crankable for the most part.. eh sort of. but it could jam and do small gigs well.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If you're just a bed room guitarist, i might suggest teh Epi Valve junior through a 1x12 cab or something, or since you <3 fender (don't blame you a bit) the Blues Junior might be nice. I personally have a Hot Rod Deluxe and it's amazing.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
Quote by UnsignedRecords
if you like the hot rod deluxe, try the blues junior. it's 15watts which is crankable for the most part.. eh sort of. but it could jam and do small gigs well.

^ + a million. Perfect amp, you'll love it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Alright Blues Jr. I'm assuming it's wonderful with blues music (which covers the John Mayer and Clapton fan in me) but what if I want to play a Rage Against the Machine song? Can it handle metal well?

edit: also how much better is the blues jr than the marshall that I have linked above and is it def worth the upgrade.
you're gonna need an overdrive pedal for heavier stuff, but it's manageable. but for metal... noo.

to your edit: it's immensely better.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Alright I have no prior knowledge of any of these amps, I will have to go to the guitar center and check them out. Right now the only information I have is the reviews I see online and your opinions. I respect all your opinions and I'm glad your helping me but let me think out loud for a minute

The difference between the two amps is 200 bucks (the blues jr and the hot rod deluxe). It looks like its between these two amps. The blues jr cannot play the heavier stuff that I enjoy, it can if I buy a decent over drive pedal. Let's say with the power adapter, the pedal itself, and the cable to connect it, the pedal comes to about 100 bucks.

Now the blues jr now costs 500 bucks. the latter is still 600 bucks. between the two amps now is 25 watts of power (as said before i'm not really interested in the amount of power, i'm just looking for the best amp i can find). also the hot rod deluxe has many more bells and whistles as the blues jr and is able to play all the musical styles from blues to punk to rock to metal. From an economic standpoint the 100 bucks difference to me is well worth the extra power and the little extras that i will be getting. In addition if I were to go to guitar center I could trade in my old amp and use that money for the new amp.

I don't mind to be rude if I am asking for help and then refuting what you guys are saying but from an economic view the Hot Rod Deluxe amp looks like the better buy in all for my needs.
alright, fair enough. no offense taken

just some points i thought about as i read that though, in order ha.

1) the blues junior has much more useable overdrive than the hot rod deluxe. i haven't tried the hrd yet, but most of what i hear is that it's 'drive' and 'more drive' channels are rubbish. so you're going to need an OD pedal anyway. so that makes it $700.

2) the HRD isn't going to do metal at all on it's own anymore than the blues junior can.

3) it's up to you, but i honestly believe spending an extra hundred bucks would only go to more clean headroom and useless drive channels.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^it's sooooo right. get the Blues Jr. for metal, get an OD and a Distortion coupled. gives massive feedback, but u get the point.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, and the BJ is only $400, not $500. If you're not opposed to buying used, you can get em from $275 to $320 ish on eBay. I had to pass one up for $260 the other day, it was like $20 out of budget. I made up for my loss by getting an OCD, so yeah. The BJ will handle metal well if oyu get a distortion pedal, and everything else well if you get an OD pedal (I like the OCD, some people like the TS9/808 and some people like the Bad Monkey. Lots of choices here).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
There are very few amps under 50W that'll do metal well on their own. Very few amps that do metal and classic rock well on a budget. And almost no Fenders that will do metal at all.

Best bet is to find an amp that does your Mayer and Clapton well, but can be pushed with a pedal into your RATM territory. I'd think something more along the lines of the Peavey Classic 30 would be best. If you're willing to look used, a Mesa F30 would probably be even better.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
*feels like an idiot now...

by the sounds of the reviews on ultimate guitar it sounded like the hot rod could do it all. ok if both needs an overdrive pedal then the blues is the one thanks
Quote by JimmyC8277
*feels like an idiot now...

by the sounds of the reviews on ultimate guitar it sounded like the hot rod could do it all. ok if both needs an overdrive pedal then the blues is the one thanks

Look into traynor or laney even. Both have very nice cleans on most of there amps, and different ranges of distortions. Im sure you could find something to pull off ratm and still have an amazing blues/ classic rock/clean sound.

Also, try a Peavey Delta Blues if you get a chance, you may find something there if its not out of price range.