What is the method you guys think is most effective for learning guitar from the ground up? I'm not asking how to learn guitar, just wanted some different opinions and a discussion possibley.
Without I teacher, I would recommend buying some kind of book or DVD. Aside from that, start learning scales, chords, and some simple songs you like.
Rap is music too. It is just another evolution of the medium. Don't be a douche and say it isn't.
Just practice that's what I did - learnt songs I liked, tried a few scales, learnt all the open chords and bar chords, etc
Quote by groovymr1337
Without I teacher, I would recommend buying some kind of book or DVD. Aside from that, start learning scales, chords, and some simple songs you like.

Yeah that's basically all you can do if you just wanna solo it. UG always has great resources to help you.
Come in the pit one day, we love and support our newcomers.
Quote by Snowing
In my honest opinion, I'd get a teacher if I were you.

Some people can't afford it. Good luck finding a good free one.

Anyway, get a book or DVD like mentioned, they'll help tons. When you go to your local guitar store, ask questions, they'll get answered. Practice. Look up scales and practice them until your hands bleed. Practice some more. Learn some songs that you like that look easy. And practice.
I started using a cd rom (playpro interactive guitar) used it for about a year or so till I learned some common chords and a few progressions. I've been playing about 5 years now and decided to invest in some lessons. In the last few weeks I've learned more than I ever did on my own.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
I just started practicing my favorite songs for the first few months, then after I built some basic skill I started learning scales, theory, etc...
Learn chords, scales, simple techniques, practice with a metronome, learn how to practice CORRECTLY, play songs you like, and most importantly, jam with friends constantly and just have fun. Don't treat it as a chore or a job, treat it as a hobby that gets you relaxed when stressed.
My self I'm in the same spot though Im like forty years old trying to teach my self how to play. The house and family take any lesson time from a teacher, but like the rest are telling you find songs you know the words and find them in chord forms and have fun with it. Almost off the bat or within weeks you should be strummin away then practice every day .
Quote by groovymr1337

+1, I suggest getting a subscription to Guitar World. Looking for a DVD of a genre you like to play. And posters of scales and chords. They help a lot IMO.