Page 1 of 2
when ppl inhale helium, it causes the vocal cords to vibrate faster because helium is lighter than air, creating a higher pitched voice.

i was wondering if this wud work with guitars, giving you more sustain, because the strings vibrate faster and therefore for longer

will it?
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
I'm not sure you've looked carefully enough into the logistics of this.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
does your guitar have lungs and magically inhale helium?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
1. No, whilst helium is less dense than air and strings would indeed vibrate longer in a helium atmosphere due to decreased resistance...the actual sound heard would be quieter and decay more quickly due to the lower number of molecules to vibrate.
2. You would die. You cannot breathe helium.

for more information on helium, visit here
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 12, 2007,
well, it might work...

problem is, you'd need to either

1: encase the guitar in some type of airtight bubble which contains the helium. Which means you can't play the darn thing.

2: fill the room with helium and wear some kind of breathing apparatus. Which means you can have no audience (unless they also agree to wearing breathing apparatus ), and also you'd need to find some way to fill your room with helium without it escaping.

I don't think it's plausible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im pretty sure the helium in the voice thing works because rather than an air medium, you are creating a helium medium in your voice box. this lighter medium causes the sound waves to travel faster, hence the higher frequency. so to come to your question, no i dont think so. it would simply raise the frequency of the notes you're playing. also, you would have to find a way to shroud your pickups in a completely helium atmosphere, probably just be a lot easier and safer to get a whammy pedal.
Quote by steven seagull
2. You would die. You cannot breathe helium.

for more information on helium, visit here

you can breathe it, just you kinda die. Or at least you will if you don't have an appreciable amount of oxygen in there too. I'm pretty sure it's not toxic, just the lack of oxygen is what's killing you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as steven said, the sound output would be lowered due to heliums lower mass which means that there will be less carrying material.

Also, you'd have to have some sort of bubble around the guitar to keep the helium in, or play in a room filled with helium and die.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
You might be right there. You'd have to play in an atmosphere containing high amounts of Helium, and I can't say that's too wise. I do wonder what life would be like if the air was 79% Helium instead of Nitrogen. We'd die eventually because Nitrogen's essential to plants (and us, in turn), but Helium is non-toxic so for a while we'd be alright and have some really light air.

...actually wouldn't that mean pressure goes down, when all the Helium rises up in altitude, and make our heads explode?
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by mattyp90
You might be right there. You'd have to play in an atmosphere containing high amounts of Helium, and I can't say that's too wise. I do wonder what life would be like if the air was 79% Helium instead of Nitrogen. We'd die eventually because Nitrogen's essential to plants (and us, in turn), but Helium is non-toxic so for a while we'd be alright and have some really light air.

...actually wouldn't that mean pressure goes down, when all the Helium rises up in altitude, and make our heads explode?

well if that was the case, life would either not exist on earth or we'd have evolved to accomodate the helium.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
unless your planning on putting your guitar in a bubble of helium... how would you pull this off?
Quote by DagMX
well if that was the case, life would either not exist on earth or we'd have evolved to accomodate the helium.

I'm not saying I wonder what life would be like if the Earth's atmosphere was always mainly Helium, I just explained myself that we need Nitrogen. Nitrogen comprises the active group in amino acids (NH2). Amino acids make up all proteins which make up all cells, so of course life couldn't have existed in a helium based atmosphere.

I'm saying I wonder what life would be like if, starting right now, the atmosphere was mainly Helium. In other words I just meant it'd be weird to have such light air. We carry tons of weight on our shoulders every day because gravity pulls the air above us down onto us, if we had lighter air it'd be like a massive weight lifted off us that we never knew was there.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by National_Anthem
chlorine or carbon monoxide would work better for sure

For better sustain or for killing yourself?

Dave is right, of course you can breathe heilum, just as you can eat sodium...it's just not a particularly good idea to do so.

The denser the medium the better it is for sound waves to propogate, that's why you can make a telephone with two cans and a piece of string.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

dunno about "active group", but yeah, agreed. though i'm not certain it'd be that big a weight. gas is pretty light.

Quote by National_Anthem

yep, that'd be a more efficient way of killing yourself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
For better sustain or for killing yourself?

Dave is right, of course you can breathe heilum, just as you can eat sodium...it's just not a particularly good idea to do so.

The denser the medium the better it is for sound waves to propogate, that's why you can make a telephone with two cans and a piece of string.

you can eat sodium now? o_O

plus that's a pretty crappy telephone...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you can eat sodium now? o_O

plus that's a pretty crappy telephone...

Obviously it's a land line as opposed to a mobile...O2 did try a mobile version but people complained of getting tangeld in lamposts. There was also intermiitent interference which was found to be cats batting the string...later investigation traced the cats back to T-Mobile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Dave_Mc
dunno about "active group", but yeah, agreed. though i'm not certain it'd be that big a weight. gas is pretty light.

I meant functional group but couldn't remember the term.

We have many cubic metres of air on our little heads and it weighs a massive amount, or so my teachers have told me when talking about gravity's effects.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
Quote by Ippon
So logically, water would be a better medium for sustain, given that it's denser than air. I'm pretty sure a Sperm Whale who posts here can confirm this.

well apart from getting horrible shocks after submerging your rig in water, and the heart attack that follows afterwards when you realise everythings stopped working, water is much more rigid than air therefore it wouldn't carry vibrations as far. (I'm guessing though)

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Aug 12, 2007,
Quote by Ippon
So logically, water would be a better medium for sustain, given that it's denser than air. I'm pretty sure a Sperm Whale who posts here can confirm this.

OOoaaaarghhhyyyuuuiiaheeooouuuuuu.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Ippon

It is, that's why sonar works....and why we don't use sonar on land, because sound doesn't travel as far or as fast, about 5 times faster in water.

And laff at the Sperm Whale thing...as if a whale would post here. Whales play the tuba.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 12, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
It is, that's why sonar works.

And laff at the Sperm Whale thing...as if a whale would post here. Whales play the tuba.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Mr Carrot
OOoaaaarghhhyyyuuuiiaheeooouuuuuu.

PMSL

ok, I stand corrected
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
It is, that's why sonar works.

pfft ... ask tubadude and tubaboy. The Sperm Whale doesn't need a tuba, his blow hole is sufficient. However, he does use a custom Ibby with the thick Gibby '59 neck to shred because of his massive fins. Search YouTube.

Quote by Ippon

hah, that's for the wusses. you want to be playing in mercury. or molten lead.

Quote by steven seagull
Obviously it's a land line as opposed to a mobile...O2 did try a mobile version but people complained of getting tangeld in lamposts. There was also intermiitent interference which was found to be cats batting the string...later investigation traced the cats back to T-Mobile.

Quote by mattyp90
I meant functional group but couldn't remember the term.

We have many cubic metres of air on our little heads and it weighs a massive amount, or so my teachers have told me when talking about gravity's effects.

most amino acids have several functional groups (including the amine group), i'd have thought. iknew what you meant by active group, that's not really what i was questioning, i'm not that pedantic!

I agree with them needing nitrogen, of course.

not too sure about the weight thing... i guess if there were enough air, even though it is not very dense, it could weigh a lot... I'd have thought gravity was the major force on us, but i could be wrong.

Quote by DagMX
well apart from getting horrible shocks after submerging your rig in water, and the heart attack that follows afterwards when you realise everythings stopped working, water is much more rigid than air therefore it wouldn't carry vibrations as far. (I'm guessing though)

i don't think that's true (about the vibrations, lol)... dolphins and whales can communicate over several miles.

^ what's PMSL?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think that's true (about the vibrations, lol)... dolphins and whales can communicate over several miles.

either that or they all have tin cans and really, really, really, really long bits of string.

Quote by dave_mc
^ what's PMSL?

pissed my self laughing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hah, that's for the wusses. you want to be playing in mercury. or molten lead.

most amino acids have several functional groups (including the amine group), i'd have thought. iknew what you meant by active group, that's not really what i was questioning, i'm not that pedantic!

I agree with them needing nitrogen, of course.

not too sure about the weight thing... i guess if there were enough air, even though it is not very dense, it could weigh a lot... I'd have thought gravity was the major force on us, but i could be wrong.

^ what's PMSL?

Higher frequency with more energy? I'm guessing signal degredation on their communication signals would be less effective than on a music signal

but i don't really pay attention in physics classes so idk..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
^ no idea, i never paid much attention to physics either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they did it on brainiac with a wind section and it just went outa tune but not possible with strings
^ banned for too sensible an answer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Naw, whales don't play tuba. All the fat people in the tuba section at school function fine out of water. I think they're cows.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by steven seagull
It is, that's why sonar works....and why we don't use sonar on land, because sound doesn't travel as far or as fast, about 5 times faster in water.

.....Austin?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by funkbass369
does your guitar have lungs and magically inhale helium?

Lol +1
Quote by National_Anthem

ROFL!!!!!!!!! ^-^

NOTICE!!! PLEASE DONT TRY THIS!!!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Page 1 of 2