Right, I'm looking to buy a new bass seeming as I'm getting fairly good now and have had a Yamaha RBX170 for 4.5 years now. I want a new shiny toy.

My teacher has told me that as basses come for that price, I have a good one so its not really worth upgrading to a mexican fender or what have you as there won't be a notable difference and besides I'm on the look out for a five string.

I play a variety of stuff really, a bit of blues, jazz, rock, light rock and I'm in a new band where the guitarist is quite keen on the speed metal (or a metal sub genre) so I will be playing heavier stuff.

The rest of my set up is a GK Backline 115 II (I'm not sure if its 125 or 175 Watts, but if I ever need to be louder I'll get a cab so I'm not too bothered), and a bunch of fun pedals (russian muff, flanger, both suggestive names)

I've been looking round and I'm thinking about either a Music Man Stingray 5 or some Fender Jazz version, any other decent 5 strings?

You can sort of tell what price range I'm aiming at. The plan is to buy it off some super cheap american site and get it ordered to the UK via a relative, thus only paying 2/3 of what it would cost here across the pond.

Advice me, if you would.
I've only played the four string version, but the Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 is a fine bass. Good tonal variety, too.
Stingray Stingray Stingray. Get an HH if you can for more tonal variety.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
The American Deluxe Fender Jazz I own is the second best 5-string I've ever played. The best was a Custom Classic Jazz, but the $3500 price tag was a bit much. It felt nicer, but didn't sound nicer than mine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Schecter makes nice basses, as do Warwick if you can afford it
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Yes, take a look at the Schecter Stiletto Series. As far as Jazz Basses go, look for a used
Fender Marcus Miller V Jazz Bass, any Lakland Jazz model, possibly a used Sadowsky jazz model. Don't rule out the American Series P Bass, either. Look at Stingrays, Sterlings, and Bongos. All different beasts with awesome sounds. I'm not too fond of Warwicks, but their owners swear by them.
Musicman Stingray basses are lush, but the sound is really distinctive. I would recommend you try one out before ordering on line; they're not everyone's cup of tea.
Carvin has been known to make some quality basses. They're definitely worth a look.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by coolio omid
Right, I'm looking to buy a new bass seeming as I'm getting fairly good now and have had a Yamaha RBX170 for 4.5 years now. I want a new shiny toy.

My teacher has told me that as basses come for that price, I have a good one so its not really worth upgrading to a mexican fender or what have you as there won't be a notable difference and besides I'm on the look out for a five string.

I play a variety of stuff really, a bit of blues, jazz, rock, light rock and I'm in a new band where the guitarist is quite keen on the speed metal (or a metal sub genre) so I will be playing heavier stuff.

The rest of my set up is a GK Backline 115 II (I'm not sure if its 125 or 175 Watts, but if I ever need to be louder I'll get a cab so I'm not too bothered), and a bunch of fun pedals (russian muff, flanger, both suggestive names)

I've been looking round and I'm thinking about either a Music Man Stingray 5 or some Fender Jazz version, any other decent 5 strings?

You can sort of tell what price range I'm aiming at. The plan is to buy it off some super cheap american site and get it ordered to the UK via a relative, thus only paying 2/3 of what it would cost here across the pond.

Advice me, if you would.

Won't you get slaughtered in P&P and VAT and Custom Taxes etc. etc.???!
Hmm, I hadn't really thought of that. I've seen one place where they're offering shipping to UK for $150 (dunno abput taxes, though).

Still a lot cheaper than here, I reckon.
Quote by Felkara
Stingray Stingray Stingray. Get an HH if you can for more tonal variety.

+allot!

the HS is good to if you can find it
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Quote by Mwoit
Won't you get slaughtered in P&P and VAT and Custom Taxes etc. etc.???!

Take the neck off the bass and say it's a repair job.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
OK, I need some advice.

Currently looking at a music man stingray 5 (two second hand)

Would it be better to get one:

a. In England (where I live) for £780 (ish) including P+P and insurance

b. In USA for £550 (ish) before taxes come in like import and VAT (17%)

Getting from the USA is cheaper, probably by £150, but a lot riskier, like if I'm not satisfied with instrument (damaged etc) then I have to ship it back which costs more and it takes longer to ship.

Thoughts?
Quote by coolio omid
OK, I need some advice.

Currently looking at a music man stingray 5 (two second hand)

Would it be better to get one:

a. In England (where I live) for £780 (ish) including P+P and insurance

b. In USA for £550 (ish) before taxes come in like import and VAT (17%)

Getting from the USA is cheaper, probably by £150, but a lot riskier, like if I'm not satisfied with instrument (damaged etc) then I have to ship it back which costs more and it takes longer to ship.

Thoughts?

Like I said before, take the neck off the bass, and gut the electronics if you're daring, and get them to send the instrument as a repair. Then, in big black marker, get the American to write "Thanks a lot big bro, I owe you one!" That should make it go under the eye of customs since it's 'broken' and 'useless'.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, listen to fitz on this one. And I might recommend fender or carvin as they're so much cheaper over here than over there.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i recomend ESP basses, survayor series has the best tonal versatillty but if you want brutal/heavy i recomend the B405 (or you can pick the F405 if you like the shape/inlay/larger scale but basicly the same bass) only get the B1005 if you really want the coil tap but personally i dont think it's worth it the 1000 series is not as big of an improvement not a +$300 improvement in my book.

also i recomend a Ernie ball musicman bongo or a warrwick corvette$$ those basses i fell in love with the first time i picked them up. also look into spector basses
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E