I have EMG-HZ in my Jackson DKMG (? bought it used not sure, it has three nobs the one at the bottom can pull out to give me more drive for solos). I play metal and blues, so I like distortion and nice cleans to. If you can reccomend me the best pickup for metal thats ok to though because I got this guitar more for metal. Should I get new pups or keep the ones i have.
emg 81/85?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
^ 81/89.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Passive EMGs = not good, for what I've heard.

I'd say get a JB-4 in the bridge, but you could go to some of the pickup manufacturer's websites, they have a program to help you figure the best pickup for your needs.

EDIT: DiMarzio, click on Pickup Picker at the bottom.

Seymour Duncan's Tone Wizard.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
If you want blues and cleans too, I'd go with a duncan JB-59 setup.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Garci
Passive EMGs = not good, for what I've heard.

I'd say get a JB-4 in the bridge, but you could go to some of the pickup manufacturer's websites, they have a program to help you figure the best pickup for your needs.

the problem with that is, they only consider their own pickups.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

What are the differences between 81-85-89, and I was thinking maybe DiMarzios, but EMGS are good.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I have EMG-HZ in my Jackson DKMG (? bought it used not sure, it has three nobs the one at the bottom can pull out to give me more drive for solos). I play metal and blues, so I like distortion and nice cleans to. If you can reccomend me the best pickup for metal thats ok to though because I got this guitar more for metal. Should I get new pups or keep the ones i have.

Chances are the push/pull pot is actually a coit-split, so when you pull it out you're actually REDUCING the output of the guitar...could be wrong though.
Best pickups for you depends a lot on your amp - what you got?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by gpderek09
the problem with that is, they only consider their own pickups.

I know, but using those wizards will give him several choices with sound samples of the best pickups of each company suiting his needs.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
What are the differences between 81-85-89, and I was thinking maybe DiMarzios, but EMGS are good.

81 is a bridge pick up. lots of treble and mids, very tight bass. the 85 is a neck pickup, a little warmer with more low mids and bass. the 89 is a coil-splitable 85. you already have a push pull pot rigged up, you could just wire it to split the 89.

Quote by steven seagull
Chances are the push/pull pot is actually a coit-split, so when you pull it out you're actually REDUCING the output of the guitar...could be wrong though.
Best pickups for you depends a lot on your amp - what you got?

actually the push pull pot on the dks like the one the thread starter has, is supposed to be a gain booster. it doesn't work very well though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
actually the push pull pot on the dks like the one the thread starter has, is supposed to be a gain booster. it doesn't work very well though.

I stand corrected, well, technically I'm sitting...but I could stand up for a second to acknowledge that you're right if it helps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I stand corrected, well, technically I'm sitting...but I could stand up for a second to acknowledge that you're right if it helps.

what ever you feel is necessary.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have a Fender 65R, but am looking into a new amp possibly the valve king 212, the jsx head, and marshall jcm. I also have a gt-8.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Aug 12, 2007,
Get the new amp first - you can't make a decision on what pickups to get until you know how the current ones sound with your amp. Suffice to say they won't make as much difference as you're hoping through a predominantly clean solid state amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by gpderek09
81 is a bridge pick up. lots of treble and mids, very tight bass. the 85 is a neck pickup, a little warmer with more low mids and bass. the 89 is a coil-splitable 85. you already have a push pull pot rigged up, you could just wire it to split the 89.

It's worth mentioning that some people like the 85 over the 81 for a bridge pickup
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
It's worth mentioning that some people like the 85 over the 81 for a bridge pickup

also true.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565