Poll: Classic or Classic Players?
Poll Options
View poll results: Classic or Classic Players?
Classic
9 35%
Classic Players
17 65%
Voters: 26.
So, the 50's and 60's strats are some of Fender's best Mexican made guitars.

Classic 50's Strat
Classic Players 50's Strat

They both have alder bodies and a soft-v neck with a gloss finish

Neck Radius:
Classic- 7.25" radius
Classic Players- 9.5" radius

Bridge:
Classic-6 point trem
CP- 2 point.

Pickups:
Classic- 3 Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat® Pickups with Staggered, Alnico Magnet Pole Pieces
CP- 3 American Vintage Strat® Single-Coil Pickups with Staggered, Alnico 5 Magnet Pole Pieces and the Middle Pickup Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity for Hum Canceling in the Middle Switch Position

Tuners:
Classic- Fender®/Ping® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
CP- Fender®/Gotoh® Vintage Style Locking Tuning Machines

Aside from that, they both have all the same features as other strats- Volume/Tone/Tone, 5-way pickup switch, etc.

Now, the question- the Classic is $630 and the CP is $800. Is it worth the extra $170? It seems the biggest difference is the pickups. The neck radius too, but that's all preference. I tried them both, but I didn't take much time with the CP since the strings on it were really rusty and it was missing the high e. Visually and financially the Classic definitely wins (IMO- the colors offered on the CP aren't very nice)- but are the upgrades in the CP line worth the extra money?

(Also- if anybody is wondering the differences in the series feel free to refer them here and if I missed anything, please let me know.)
Yes, In guitarist magazine the CP got gold (5/5 in sound, build quality, playability and value for money). So I went and tried one and they were really nice. However that one was sold so I got a mexican deluxe which I regret.
^Did you try playing the Classic Series? Just because the CP was really nice doesn't mean the Classic isn't?

Also, I don't really trust reviews in magazines very much.
Your paying for the locking tuners and 2 point bridge. Not good if you dont like shoreline gold or sunburst sadly. Chose a Classic strat, not the players but played both next to each other, and besides the cosmetics and the 2 point bridge there was no difference. Both nice sunburst, and both sounded ace.

Play one, it's the only way you will know.

Take a look at my thread from about a month ago, some valuable information in it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615842&highlight=classic+50s
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Are the 2-point bridges better? The only real experience I have with the vintage style trems are with the 6 point on my standard strat, which due to either the tuning machines or the bridge, goes out of tune really easily.
2 point bridge wont make the guitar go any less out of tune, it's the locking tuners that stop that. With the money you save, if the 2 point bridge is a massive bonus to you, go for it. If it's not, go for the standard cheaper (but no less quality) and buy some locking tuners.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
^Well, I was just wondering, because I wasn't sure what it was that made my other strat go out of tune so easily- the bridge or the tuners.
Yeah, locking tuners will make the most tuning stability. Two point bridge isn't going to improve it any more in holding the tuning.

I'm going to fit Gotoh vintage style ones on my 50's strat.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
I'm definitely going to play them, but I'm just frustrated that the CP at Guitar Center was so messed up.
Either way i'm sure you will be happy, request a new set of strings on the CP though. The normal 50's keeps the vintage feel (you didn't have 2 point bridges and locking tuners back then!).

I agree about the colours, not a nice selection. I'd of taken a 50's classic players if they did it in daphne blue, but I cant stand the gold and I already have a sunburst. I know i'll be happier with the normal 50's because i'll have the colour combination I like, with the tuning stability of the upgrades.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
I played both today, the CP was slightly hotter, but the cleans weren't as nice and it hummed more. The CS sounded great on cleans, with good highs and mids but didn't have the bite of the CP. I reckon you could get the same tones with messing with the amps.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
i like the classic. i dig the 7.25" fretboard radius. easier to bend/play on than a 9.5" and i hate the 12" on some fenders.

imo, i like 6-points better, since i don't play with my tremolo and i need the bridge to have more stable contact with the body.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I like the Classic Series better, it's got some better finish options.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Play them both and choose the one that fits you. I have had the pleasure of playing Classic Player Strat and I can tell you that for the price it probably is one of the best you can afford. In what I can remember, the 50s CP neck had a subtle V shape to it and the playability was phenomenal. Also, the limited colour finish range adds the the exclusiveness of the guitar. Also check the neck plate. Says 'designed by custom shop' or similar, which wouldn't suit anyone's taste, but I thought it was a thoughtful touch.
^They both have the same neck shape, but the radius is different.

The limited color range may add to the exclusiveness, but I don't particularly like either of the finishes. The sunburst is nice, but I like the colors of the 50's Classic better.
The Classic players IMO is much more worth the money than the classic series, If you like either of the finishes of the classic players then get one, the trem is well worth it, its so much easier and more smooth to play with than a 6-point.
I had another quick (20 mins) play this morning on both models, both with trem arm. I thought that in my opinion the 2 point was better, but the 6 point was by no means bad. The 2 point is resting on a knife edge which means smoother tremolo, the 6 point was fine though and if your like me, I dont use it a massive amount anyway.

They had a surf green 50's in today, blew the sunburst to pieces.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
The Classic Player.

have played them both. They play the same, but the Classic 50's was nicer all around.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hey sorry to revive a dead thread but i have a question i read somewhere that the classic '50s has a 3-position switch, does that mean that you can't get positions 2 and 4??
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
^You can, but you have to set the switch in between the modes...

Otherwise its very easy to switch to a 5 position....
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
does it have to be a fender?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Already, the CP looks like a modern strat, while the classic keeps its vintage 50's look perfectly.

I have played the Classic at a Best Buy (Yes, they have a music section now), and really liked it. Played another at GC, as well as a 60's classic, and they were both very nice. I like the feel of the maple neck on the classic, I liked it better than my MIA strat's maple neck to be honest, and the vintage aged dark maple looks great.

If I were you, I would choose the classic 50's, I prefer the 6-point trem since it is more stable, and you can tighten the springs for a really stable bridge. I have that done on my american's 2-point right now.

You can always drop locking tuners into the 50's strat, but remember they don't do too much for the tuning. What's most important is how you wrap the string and wind it. It's also important to lube your nut and all moving parts of the bridge, that accounts for how well your guitar holds tuning.

Also, keep your intonation in check, and make sure your guitar is set up right, if it is, it really won't need locking tuners, all they do is make the string changing process simpler.
High as tits
The answer...

Customize your own Carvin Bolt T.

The base model with a HSC costs $718.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^^so i'm to understand that the only differences are the locking tuners, trem, and pickups, right?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
I played the classic at GC, the neck feels awesome. Haven't played a Classic Player though.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.