I tried searching but there were like 800 results and none of them looked right, so...

I'm trying to learn the basics behind slap bass, but I'm having trouble with the thumb part. The action on my bass might be really high or something, I'm a bass noob so I'm not sure. Do I need to be plugged into an amp to hear it right? Because when I try to slap it just seems to rattle and doesn't make a very distinguishable sound.

Also where should my thumb hit? Is it like on the last fret, or the piece of wood below the last fret, or on the strings?

Sorry for all the questions, but its frustrating me and its something I really want to learn.
This may not all be entirely true, but it's all from my experience. High action is definitely not good for slapping, and if you're not plugged into an amp, it may just sound like rattling, but it's kind of hard to judge without actually hearing or seeing it. My thumb usually tends to hit between the pickup and the neck, usually closer to the neck itself
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
You should hit the string with the bony part of your thumb on the side. Where on the string you slap is up to you. I tend to play up near the neck when I slap, but you can go near the bridge for an even more trebley sound.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Well, I'll be honest with you. I'm not a bass player primarily, but I can slap and pop.

Really, the thumb slap is meant for that thick, somewhat distorted sound that you hear from Rush and Primus, etc.

Here's how you do it.

Hit your thumb against the string, and make sure you lift the string up or away from the body/fretboard. Don't exactly hit it, but lift it.

It's basically popping with your thumb. Popping involves lifting the string up with the top portion of your finger and releasing it. Slapping is that, but with your thumb.
It is my lifelong mission to bring grunge back for a few more years.
Typically your thumb should hit the very end of the neck, so I guess that's 'the piece of wood below the last fret'. When you slap use your wrist, and don't just slap the string and leave your thumb there, you should pull it away all in the same motion as if you are 'whipping' the string with your thumb, not sure if this will help, but I hope it does, good luck.

Quote by Confused4930
You should hit the string with the bony part of your thumb on the side.
Make sure you are doing that.
If I'm wrong, sorry, but that's how I've done it, and it gave me the sound that I was looking for.
One more thing, if you play guitar at all, you can slap and pop on that as well. I do it alot, and it produces these amazing artificial harmonics. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Quote by Eruption_Rocker
Hit your thumb against the string, and make sure you lift the string up or away from the body/fretboard. Don't exactly hit it, but lift it.

It's basically popping with your thumb. Popping involves lifting the string up with the top portion of your finger and releasing it. Slapping is that, but with your thumb.

Uhhh...
Quote by FLrhcpEA
Uhhh...

Hey, it worked for me.
Quote by Eruption_Rocker

Oh no
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
Well, if that's not right, then how come I'm getting the same sound as slapping and popping? And yes, I've heard somebody slap and pop, I've listened to Primus, Rush, and RHCP countless times. I know what it sounds like. Maybe I just didn't explain it very well.
Quote by Eruption_Rocker
Well, if that's not right, then how come I'm getting the same sound as slapping and popping? And yes, I've heard somebody slap and pop, I've listened to Primus, Rush, and RHCP countless times. I know what it sounds like. Maybe I just didn't explain it very well.

lol.. look up some videos on youtube or something man. because yeah, the way you described it seems completely wrong. you dont lift the string. you hit it hard enough so it clicks on the fretboard then release quick enough so its able to ring. there is no lifting of any sorts.
Quote by Eruption_Rocker

yea man, its just kidna like whipping the string, what your describing sounds to me like bad double thump kinda (i cant play it but i understand how)
and that is supposed to be jsut like a pick not slap

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Hey, don't pick on poor Eruption_Rocker. I've seen videos of Voctor Wooten slapping the way he described.

Otherwise, good tips in this thread.
Fler Ismaskiner!