The Question
Hey guys, I have been playing with my Bridge Pickup heights, in attempt to get the best sound possible for heavy rifting and palm muting for quite some time.

I was wondering how high you have raised yours and how much the Bass side is higher than the high strings , I know that if they are two close they sound bad but to far away they don't sound so good

Notes
--My Bridge Pickup is similar to a Seymour Duncan, it is super quiet under distortion
--I only leave my Bridge Hum-bucker pickups on, I leave the top 2 single coils in the off position.
--My strings are Gauge, 12, 16, 24, 32, 56

I am open to anyones imput, reguarding pickup heights for playing metal and heavy Rifts

I would greatly appreciate it
Last edited by GoreGalore at Aug 12, 2007,
Quote by Dobzilla
Rifts?

I think you mean riffs.

Correct , I recently changed the strings, and havent changed any amp settings on my pedal and what nawt, and it sounds muddy sort of, so I know I need to readjust my pickup heights

So I was sort of asking for some get go advice reguarding on how other people have adjusted theirs in relation to heavy metal
Other people's pickup heights isn't really going to help you...it depends on the guitar, the pickups themselves, the amp. The only thing you need to be aware of is that if they're too close you'll lose sustain and get odd noises, if they're too close then the tone starts to become thin. Pickup heights is one of those things you really have to learn for yourself by experimenting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Other people's pickup heights isn't really going to help you...it depends on the guitar, the pickups themselves, the amp. The only thing you need to be aware of is that if they're too close you'll lose sustain and get odd noises, if they're too close then the tone starts to become thin. Pickup heights is one of those things you really have to learn for yourself by experimenting.

o_O
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by steven seagull

ahh well that makes sense, I figured there was a few more generic rules other than those

Does it matter if the strings are not over the magnetic circles all the way? I may need to adjust the string angles to be over the dots on my pickup, or is it better to have them slightly to the side, I think that may be the gist of the problem
Quote by Jinskee
o_O

okay, okay!!!!!

you could have at least fixed it for me

If they're too FAR AWAY then the tone can become thin
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
okay, okay!!!!!

you could have at least fixed it for me

If they're too FAR AWAY then the tone can become thin

Nooo! I don't know crap about pick ups.

I was hoping you would have fixed it.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I hear you, but does it matter if the strings are over the cirlcles on the pick up or over black parts slightly over from the magnetic circles ?
Shh, we're talking...

The strings are supposed to be over the polepieces (circles)...obviously if the pickups at a bit of an angle then it won't be exact but it's nothing to worry about. If they're over the black parts then that implies you've either got the wrong spacing on your pickup or you've got too much of a difference between the bass and treble sides.

Either that or you got Stevie Wonder to install them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Hold your strings down at the highest fret on your fingerboard (22 or 24, usually), and adjust the pickup so that the poles or cover are just under 2mm from the strings.

Edit: What bridge does your guitar have? You could have a trem-spaced humbucker with a fixed bridge, which would explain the poles not lining up.
Well, it looks like this, just not seymour duncan, but it doesnt hum so it must be a decent type for distortion

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/8/246028.jpg

except the Pickup Holder has 1 screw for height on the left side, and on the right has two screws for angle adjustment, which both together does the height

I have a Double Locking Floyd Rose, which can allow me to change how far some strings go over in distance, I may have to take a picture

My guitar looks like this, just with different neck, it is an Ibanez remake, and is good quality too

http://www.onlinestagegear.com/brand/Jackson/PRO/SL3_NATURAL.jpg
Last edited by GoreGalore at Aug 12, 2007,
Just so's you know, ALL humbuckers look like that
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Here is what my problem looks like, I drew it in 2 minutes so its not a piece of art work haha

the picture doesn't display it well, but the pick ups are evenly spaced out, just the strings arnt lined up proberly, I have the left side higher than the right to counter the volume, but when I changed strings, same gauge of 12-56
my strings were farther over than they were before for some reason, and sounds super muddy now, unlike before, same brand same gauge strings

I may have to adjust the angles of the string on the bridge Floyd Rose

or its some other problem of the Floyd Rose being higher on one side of the Tremmolo

Is your bridge level on both axes..ie is it level looking down on it from the top edge of the guitar, and also is it pretty level looking at it from behind?

It's hard to tell but it looks like the bass side might be a lot lower than the treble side. Also 12's is awful high for a Floyd...is the bridge level or is the back raised up?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

yeah well never tune it higher than Drob B, I pushed the string holding slots on the bridge over with my thumb a tad, and it moved things back over, guess I need to push them all the way over to get them lined up more

so I finalyl figured out why it was all of a sudden bad when I changed my strings again well you learn something new everytime eh?

Thanks for all the input