So that you people could understand what's going on, I have to start the story from the beginning. Kinda long tho.

Me and my buddy did this band year ago when we were barely 14.
So we got an bassist and later we got an solo guitarist.
I, being a dreamy lad, thought that once I get into a band, my life would change. Endless parties with wall-to-wall girls. We all get some-what famous etc. etc. etc.
Just like in BECK (Seen that anime/manga, right?).

Nothing. No spark. Nobody communicating, me doing **** to write songs, creating riffs etc.
Well, 4 months later and lots of sad, sad bus-rides home, we decided to pull the plug and taking the coward's way out - sending an SMS at the beginning of the summer to the bassist and said it was all over. Fail lived up to it's name.

God damn, what a ****ty way to end a band, I know. What can I do, I am the most introvert dude I know :[ I try my best not to use the phone EVER.
Then suddenly in July, my bud's like: "Dude, I'm gonna start a new band in October. You're in?"
And I was like "O what the hell, let's do this"

Then today, I went to this public concert with my bud in the park. (Yeah, I don't have much good friends :[)
First band was OK. Nothing too shabby though :[
Then there was this trio of acoustic guitars. And they started to play these covers of the WORST kind of Estonian pop ever! It was just.. so gross.

So I sat on the grass, dumbfound, and said this after recovering from a 2 minute coma: "Bud, when we start this band, then we are not gonna end up like this. I'm going to get guitar lessons and by god I am gonna get good at the guitar, as I have the Fender by my side and I'll skip sleeping if I have to. I'll stop ****ing around and get serious this time. We are going to do this **** and do it right! We will show these nancy acoustic lads what really makes the world go around!"

Then they stopped. In came beatboxers. Then came MUSHY. MUSHY was ****ing awesome, they have really developed in a year! I went home and panic struck.

This voice in my head yelled: "How the **** am I going to pull this stunt off?! How the hell am I single-handedly break the curse of Fail, start writing GOOD original music and stop sucking at life?!"

If you guys are saying that I should find the Pick of Destiny, then yes, that is an option, but I am not really into this whole Satan rock-off thing.

TL;DR - Shyguy decides it's time to stop sucking, yet it's yet another classic case of EASILY SAID... and you know the rest.

Would you please be so kind and give me some kind of advice. I hope for my life I will pull this off. Maybe not in a really grandiose way but god damn if I fail this task you all can take in line and give me a kick in the balls

---EDIT--- Well thanks a lot people. This was quite obvious after all - cut the internet time, start learning, stop worrying & have fun instead of stressing out. Well then, I guess I'm gonna learn some solos tonight
Last edited by Taoistic_Beer at Aug 13, 2007,
Just work at it. That includes the communication thing as well. Look where continually hiring and firing got Axl and Dave Mustaine.
I tried to follow that as best as I could, and I understand, but what exactly do you want advice on? Whether to do this band and make it "not horrible"? If so, then do it, it's not really a life changing thing is it? Just go for it and see how it goes, if you're talented enough you'll pull it off.
Quote by seljer
I thought this was another thread about not wanking for a month

It's near impossible, not completely impossible
i was the same way when it came to original music. heres a tip: break ur normal routine and just mess around. once i did that, i had 4 or 5 riffs in a week.
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
Quote by that_1_dude24
Learn some music theory. That'll help with your songwriting.

+1

not only your songwriting, but playing in general
just start off as a cover band to get better and live show experience. then the bands you cover will influence your music. also, let the music come to you in songwriting
Quote by kidsthesedays
i often have urges to throw things at walls. and kick toddlers. i'm pretty sure that without the moral/legal/ethical ramifications, kicking a toddler like a football would be the most entertaining thing in the world.

Well, don't quit. If you suck at guitar make up for it by being emotional, deep and whatnot. I mean cobaine did it, and he was pretty well off. Seriously though..... If you take the cobaine way then please kill yourself around 30. THANKS!
well first off the key to writing good meaningful songs is emotion and passion, and the only way you're gonna be able to express that is by opening up and being less shy, dont give a crap about whether your band mates think your lyrics are too emotional or whatever, if they mean something to you its a hell of alot easier to sing them with passion, and at the end of the day passion makes or break a band.
Grow up. No I am not being a smart ass. Your aspirations are truley admirable but hardly accomplishable at 15. The hardest part of any band is finding like minded people as dedicated to music as you are. And who knows but when you find out the amount of effort require to hold all the egos in the room together you may not be as dedicated as you think you are.
Sex, drugs and rock and roll comes with a very heavy price. You are not old enough to yet pay it. Great time of your life to explore and try to find like minded people but it can be a life long quest.
Jam on.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Get everyone in on the writing process, don't let people lump it all on you. That way everyone'll be involved in the process and it'll make for a better atmosphere.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Jackal58
Grow up. No I am not being a smart ass. Your aspirations are truley admirable but hardly accomplishable at 15. The hardest part of any band is finding like minded people as dedicated to music as you are. And who knows but when you find out the amount of effort require to hold all the egos in the room together you may not be as dedicated as you think you are.
Sex, drugs and rock and roll comes with a very heavy price. You are not old enough to yet pay it. Great time of your life to explore and try to find like minded people but it can be a life long quest.
Jam on.

Listen to this man.

He's a geezer, he knows this shit
Staying the **** off the internet would be a good start.

Come to think of it I should try that too....

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Well, there are two ways to play. Play to the fans and learn some stuff, or play the music you guys like, which does show.

About sucking... just play. Learn some songs and challenge yourself each time. I learned alot playing songs, and I've never taken any lessons.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Quote by Retro Rocker
Listen to this man.

He's a geezer, he knows this shit

Thanks. I think.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
For the music thing, when listening to music, really THINK about what's going on. Take note on all the subtle nuances and obvious properties that are in the music. This will help develop ideas on what kind of techniques there are in writing music and what you can do to apply them yourself. Learning theory is great too, but just knowing theory isn't going to help you write great music.
what's a "MUSHY"?
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Quote by seljer
I thought this was another thread about not wanking for a month

I think we all thought that........ but
www.myspace.com/theoncefuturekings

Let me know what ya think!

MUFC

And it'll haunt you, my honey bee,
anyone who's anyone has had that same dream,
where you're falling, or where you're flying,
or were you calling out, or were you dying?
GTFO mah interwebz and start practicing. Don't stop...ever. Learn your favourite songs and solos and then move on and use the inspiration to write your own music. Pick a key relevant to what you want to express (major=happier; minor=sadder GENERALLY) then wank around a little or come up with a phrase or melody on your head, transpose it to guitar (hard part) and work from there. Put some backing chords in and whatever else thats required and voila! a song!

BTW I speak strictly from a guitarists perspective and remember practise until your arms fall off and your head pounds like a jackhammer.
you're doing it for the wrong reasons! Playing music to become famous is why music is so bad today. If you aren't inspired then maybe music isn't for you. If you enjoy doing it and creating and you're not interested in it for money then the money will come anyway.
Until the mid 60's (or thereabouts), all the great bands I love didn't expect the superstardom of today but they played for the fun of it, for freedom and to rebel and... they created beautiful music in the process. There was some quote by someone that was going on about all the wars and the renaissance in Italy and how it inspired MichaelAngelo and Leo da Vinci and then look at switzerland and how it's been in peace for a long time: "what have they invented in a long time? The cuckoo clock?". Anywho, my point is if you've not got any pain in your life, you can't appreciate the beauty. They come as opposites in a package. Maybe you either need to live life or not go into creating art. Art isn't necessary for society unless it's inspired and beautiful...