oh i just want to know how long it might take to learn it(does have to be exact) or how long it took you..and what is are good scales or songs that might help my sweep picking

and i practise the whole
Last edited by Venetallica at Aug 12, 2007,
Depends how much effort you're going to put into learning how to sweep pick.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I put about 10 hours into it the other day, and managed to get alright at it. It takes everyone a different amount of time, so there's no real answer on how long it takes.
To be honest, the most important things is your right hand.

You have to SWEEP, most people (including me) try to pick the notes when they first to start, even if they think they're raking the pick down and up.

Watch the instructional video by Marc Seal on you tube, it's really helpful and gives you some good exercises to get you started on sweep picking.
A friend of mine told me that sweep picking is the only technique he knows that can actually make the rest of your playing worse. He says it's a lazy technique and that you can achieve the same sound with economy picking.

He's kind of an ass, so take that with a grain of salt.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Quote by Kultur Vultur
He says it's a lazy technique and that you can achieve the same sound with economy picking.

is'nt economy picking and sweeping the same thing??
Economy and Sweep pick are different, but you sort of got the right idea.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Economy picking is just small sweeps when you change strings basically, where as sweep picking is more of a constant switching of strings.

EDIT: I can finally finally sweep where sextuplets are at 84...sounds wicked cool. Keep it up its worth it!
Economy doesnt usually apply to the entire fret board (e.g sweeps can go across all 6 strings, economy is usualy used in riffs where just a couple of neighbouring strings are used) my thoughts on it any way.

As far as learning it is concerned, it would be the efficiency of your practise over the entire day that would effect time. You could probably get the technique down in a week, and then the speed and syncronisation of your two hands would follow in the coming months.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
And about it being a sloppy technique...that's only if you learn it sloppy. I can definetely not say that it makes you worse. It helps synch-up my left and right hands, and without even practicing I can do chromatics much faster and flying through the modes. It like coordinates your mind, it's great
Quote by Lateralus17
To be honest, the most important things is your right hand.

You have to SWEEP, most people (including me) try to pick the notes when they first to start, even if they think they're raking the pick down and up.

Watch the instructional video by Marc Seal on you tube, it's really helpful and gives you some good exercises to get you started on sweep picking.

The most important thing is to synchronize your left and right hand together. http://youtube.com/watch?v=3mbx03mP5eg
That helped me sooo much : )