is there something wrong with my picking technique?
i buy a new batch of plaectrums (dunlop tortex, i'm not sure what .mm, the green ones)
and within a month or so i've worn them down already.

is it my technique or is it the plectrums themselves?

none of my friends who play have this problem, so i'm thinking its my technique.

any advice/comments appreciated.
you must be playing very very hard. do you snap the higher strings often? or perhaps you aren't picking perpendicular (straight at) to the strings meaning the lower strings would have a sanding effect on the plectrums, but iwouldn't think this would be so effective as to wear away a pick so quickly
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
maybe get some thicker picks?

the green tortex are 0.88mm so maybe try some thicker ones like 1mm or somthing
Well dont pick so hard and playing with the tips of the plectrum is actually a better method andi can see how that would blunt them but hey
Quote by Doobergn
Does saying plectrum make you feel smarter or something?

makes me feel posh
POST FINDER
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You just have a pretty agressive playing style it seems. A plectrum lasts me about a week but I go through 2 in a 30 minute live set just because I'm playing harder.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Oh I see you guys are from across the pond, is that the common term over there?
i do snap strings more then the average player i guess. but i've been playing for over three years, i'm gonna find it pretty hard to get out of this habit of playing hard.
i dont think i'd wanna use heavier picks because i'm more likely to snap strings that way.
Quote by Doobergn
Does saying plectrum make you feel smarter or something?

does it make you feel less intelligent to say pick? i vary between saying plectrums and picks, who really gives a damn?

you could try a thicker gauge of strings, it doesn't take very long to adjust to them. maybe a week or 2
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i used to go through normal plastic ones really quick but then i got some dunlop nylon picks. The black ones i think they are 1 mm. They hardly wear down at all. my biggest problem is losing them now
Quote by Doobergn
Oh I see you guys are from across the pond, is that the common term over there?

Yeah, it's the one most people use ^^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I have the same problem even though i use 1mm dunlop picks, they end up worn away to nothing after a month or 2. What wears them away more than anything is the fact that i turn the pick sideways when i tremolo pick which wears them extra fast
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
it just happens picks wear out its part of like buy another bag and go on with it. A bag of picks a month is pretty normal for me
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I have used the same pick for the last year... It is however a 3mm big stubby, I should be set for life with just this one pick .
Quote by gsr2k6
I have used the same pick for the last year... It is however a 3mm big stubby, I should be set for life with just this one pick .

I love them for playing acoustic, it really brightens up your tone, i never thought a pick could make such a dramatic difference to your tone! I keep losing mine though because they are so small!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90