hey everybody.
im sure most of us here like to see a good show. and as we all know,lights can be a great way to spice up your own show. lets talk about some great stage lighting techniques,some original lighting ideas, and some of the drastically over-used lighting ideas.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
i'll start.i saw slayer play live a couple months ago with. the drummer of my band,who i went with describes the show like this:
smoke comes in.
lights go on.
band plays really fast
crazy solo with strobe lights
band stops.
lights go off

song 2.smoke comes in
lights go on
band plays fast
crazy strobe light solo
band stops ect...for the whole show
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I thought the way that slayer had the opening , they had a big white sheet hanging down and had white symbols on it (lights that spun around) Some Said slayer some were pentagrams you know the usual **** but was cool.. And I like the fog + Lights, especiall green and red! For chemical warfare they had a bunch of fog mixed with green lights (Chemicals) And For HELL AWAITS they had the same thing but red It looked like they were walking in hell , it was sweetttttt
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
i saw them in ottawa ontario...small show,low budget probably
only like 2500 people
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

ye slayer does the white sheet thing with the pantagrams it was pretty cool but the shet was dirty and ripped
Anybody else adore Tool's light show.

They set up the stage with 4 rear projection screens behind them all. They have animations playing on them constantly. The lights them self start very minimalistic and by the end of the show there's a wall of lasers and strobed colors everywhere.

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
Yeah I think lights are an important part of the show. It's boring to have just plain white light throughout the whole time...I was thinking something more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtDgyyOomK8

or at least some kind of colored lights

My bands first show had amazing lighting because our schools stage had a great lighting system and full console and mixing board and everything, but unfortunately we didn't get to hook up our sound system fully (the guitars played through their amps and my drums were not miked) but that's besides the point. I feel that a light show contributes a lot to the overall show.
My band has a row of lights in a tube which we wrap around the drumkit. It looks really cool, and I nicked theidea off Carl Deleamo of Razorlight who had fairy lights over his bass amps when i saw him live.