I hope that the intention of this thread is so that people tab out here what exercises they do to warm up, or practice.

I'm going to post two of mine (the only ones I got, the reason why I would like you guys to post yours!!!) that I play a lot. Practice them, and it will increase your precision and speed.

The first one I'm going to post is a simple one that I don't just play whenever I start playing, but also when I feel that I'm getting a little sloppy and need to get it back into shape. This tab requires that you use all four fingers of each hand. The intention is that whenever you fret with your index finger, you pluck with your index. You fret with your middle, you pluck with your middle. Get it? OK, here it is.

G|-------------------------------5-6-7-8-8-7-6-5----------------------------------|
D|---------------------5-6-7-8---------------------8-7-6-5------------------------|
A|-----------5-6-7-8------------------------------------------8-7-6-5-------------|
E|-5-6-7-8---------------------------------------------------------------8-7-6-5--|

G|-------------------------------6-5-7-8-8-7-5-6----------------------------------|
D|---------------------6-5-7-8---------------------8-7-5-6------------------------|
A|-----------6-5-7-8------------------------------------------8-7-5-6-------------|
E|-6-5-7-8---------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5-6--|

G|-------------------------------7-5-6-8-8-6-5-7----------------------------------|
D|---------------------7-5-6-8---------------------8-6-5-7------------------------|
A|-----------7-5-6-8------------------------------------------8-6-5-7-------------|
E|-7-5-6-8---------------------------------------------------------------8-6-5-7--|

G|-------------------------------8-5-6-7-7-6-5-8----------------------------------|
D|---------------------8-5-6-7---------------------7-6-5-8------------------------|
A|-----------8-5-6-7------------------------------------------7-6-5-8-------------|
E|-8-5-6-7---------------------------------------------------------------7-6-5-8--|

This next one I just made up. Its played like the one above, index to index, middle to middle, and so on. I find that before you try playing it, practice the 4 positions that you have to fret. Once you get that down, start playing it.

G|-----8---6---------7---5---------|
D|--6--------7----5-----------8----|
A|----7---5------------8---6-------|
E|-5-----------8---6---------7-----|

Enjoy!
Fender Jazz -> Line 6 Bass Podxt Live -> SWR Working Man

I know you like it
Major, Minor, and Chromatic scales up and down the fretboard. That's usually what I do to warm up.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
Major, Minor, and Chromatic scales up and down the fretboard. That's usually what I do to warm up.

Yah! A while back I think that I practiced about 6 different scaled (Blues, Pentatonic, Harmonic: All minor and major) and the 7 modes. I found it a bit much though to remember, so I stopped. Sense then I've only used pentatonic cause its easy to remember Can someone link me to a website that has a fretboard and you can choose the scale and key and it shows it. Ive been looking for it but cant find it!!!

I know you like it
Quote by harl91
Yah! A while back I think that I practiced about 6 different scaled (Blues, Pentatonic, Harmonic: All minor and major) and the 7 modes. I found it a bit much though to remember, so I stopped. Sense then I've only used pentatonic cause its easy to remember Can someone link me to a website that has a fretboard and you can choose the scale and key and it shows it. Ive been looking for it but cant find it!!!

Here ya go. http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

I do the warm ups John Petrucci shows you in Rock Discipline.
Quote by Galvanise69
did you only do one octave on them or did you work them up all over the neck... ive been diong something similar, it is hard to remember but good, also do you recommend i work them out all over the neck and in diffferent positions?

I picked to tab them at 5 because that is currently my favorite fret to do rock songs in. So yes, you can do them all over the fretboard, and I HIGHLY recommend you do. Not only would be be gaining precision, speed, and a-costem to the smaller frets, but your able to explore the whole fretboard, learn what frets you like, make new sounds. You get the jist.

And no, Im not doing octaves on the second one. I just thought it was a cool and hard position to practice with.

BTW, buy a tenis ball. It may seem weird but squeezing one can really increase your fretting hands strength

Quote by Kurt-Corgan

THANKS!!
Quote by Kurt-Corgan

I do the warm ups John Petrucci shows you in Rock Discipline.

I'm not sure I follow that. What do you mean?

I know you like it
Last edited by harl91 at Aug 12, 2007,
Quote by Galvanise69
did you only do one octave on them or did you work them up all over the neck... ive been diong something similar, it is hard to remember but good, also do you recommend i work them out all over the neck and in diffferent positions?

I usually work up every other fret, but go once major, once minor, and once chromatic.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.