i always see ppl doing squier rebuilds. they buy a 150 dollar gutiar invest 500 bucks. does it actualy become a 650 dollar guitar or would it just be better to buy a 650 dollar gutiar?
It depends what is done to the guitar, who does it and how well it's done usually. I definately think that buing a $100 guitar, spending $200 on stuff for it, then having a guitar worth $250 or $200 would be much more satisfying and fun than buying a $300 guitar. And often you won't have to spend $500 to re-do a squier.
If the Squier is made out of cheap Alder, most people think it's worth it to some extent, but even so, if you like the feel of the neck and have a decent amp, a pup switch could make it a better guitar.
I, personally, do not customize stuff other than the strings () but the only way you can really fix up a guitar is if it needed tuning up in the first place.
Gear:

Ibanez XPT707FX
Ibanez RG7321 (DiMarzio D-Activator 7 Pickups)

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah-Wah
DigiTech Whammy WH-4
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Line 6 Flextone III Plus w/FBV2 Footswitch
Quote by BMXfreak000
I, personally, do not customize stuff other than the strings () but the only way you can really fix up a guitar is if it needed tuning up in the first place.

You could always totally alter the guitar. It's not really fair to say that a good guitar can't be properly customized.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by jason_lee_91
i always see ppl doing squier rebuilds. they buy a 150 dollar gutiar invest 500 bucks. does it actualy become a 650 dollar guitar or would it just be better to buy a 650 dollar gutiar?

If the neck and body wood are nice, then yes for some people
well say a pick up switch for three single coil is like 250. then say a nut switch to a bone nut. thats like 60. then most ppl seem to do a paint job after so thats like 40 for the paint and laquer. tuners for 40. so about 390 for a rebuild. plus a 150 dollar squier. 540 dollars??would that have been worth it?
well most people that do them dont go out and buy one new, its usually their first guitar or something. i got mine cheap for 40 so i think it is totally worth it
Quote by jason_lee_91
well say a pick up switch for three single coil is like 250. then say a nut switch to a bone nut. thats like 60. then most ppl seem to do a paint job after so thats like 40 for the paint and laquer. tuners for 40. so about 390 for a rebuild. plus a 150 dollar squier. 540 dollars??would that have been worth it?

go guitar fetish, and switching nuts is easy, I was too cheap to pay someone to do it, so I did it myself, easy as cake
HOLY ****... how many of these threads are there a day???
FAARK
someone make a sticky about modding squiers or somthing...
It's part sentimental value. If my first guitar wasn't a steaming pile of red-colored plastic ****, then I might want to customize it and hop it up, too.

^I agree. There should be a Squier Strat mod sticky.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
And where are you going to get a stock $540 guitar with all those things you mentioned? A $540 guitar does NOT have $250 worth of pickups in it, nor does it have a bone nut. It also will likely not have locking tuners. You mention $40 for a paint job... If you are good, you can do it for less than that, more like $25, maybe $15-20 if you get cheaper paints. Not to mention, there is a sense of pride for actually doing stuff yourself. Knowing that your guitar is 100% unique, that can be worth the price difference alone...
Quote by jason_lee_91

$250 for three single coil pickups and a bone nut being $60? Whoever you're looking at getting parts from, you're obviously paying about double what you should be.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I think its worth it if you know what you're looking for. I've got 3 squiers. one of them i'm happy with completely, all stock (standard tele), i think updating the pickups would change the distinctive twang this guitar has. My other 2, an Affinity strat and Custom Tele, well, they are nice to play, the wood feels like good quality wood, but i have a fender strat which is just superior, and the custom tele has very shoddy electronics. I think it would be worth modding them both, i'm planning changing some things to get an ultimately versatile guitar out of both of them (my current strat wiring scheme gets something like 62 different tones out of the guitar - no kidding, and i'm pretty sure the tele schematic doesn't fall very short) because they are great guitars, but the pickups and electronics leave a lot to be desired.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp