Hey everybody, I'm in the market for a Bass guitar. However, I'm a little confused about the gear.

Like do I need a special "Bass" cable or amp?
If I buy a strap, will I need a lock or something to hold on to or will it be built-in?

The bass guitar I'm checking out is a Fender Jazz Bass.

In your opinion, is this a good beginner bass?

Can anyone provide sound clips to this guitar?

Thanks everyone!
You need a different amp, for sure.
Cables don't matter.
Strap Locks are only useful if you play gigs and move around.
Fender Jazz is a beautiful Bass.
anything else?
dude the jazz sounds amazing the only reason i wouldnt buy one is cause i love my eastwood classic 4
Any bass you by can be a beginner bass. How much are you going to spend? If about $500-700, I say buy a Active P-Bass Special. It has a P body with a J neck. The it P and J bass pickups.
id say if you want a fender in that 500-700 range the aerodyne jazz is what i would suggest etiher that or the precision special
Quote by Doolittle
i have the P-Bass Special. It's great, like they say a bit of both worlds.

When I first saw it in Musician's Friend, I'm like "I want that bass." That's been almost a year now and I still want it. It will be my first bass.
Cool. I'll check out the P-Bass. Are there any sites to hear how it sounds?
Last edited by ckoy at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by SpedGangster
You need a different amp, for sure.
Cables don't matter.
Strap Locks are only useful if you play gigs and move around.
Fender Jazz is a beautiful Bass.
anything else?

TS, this guy got the answers.
The Jazz bass is a very popular bass, and for a good reason.
It is very versitaile (sp?), its unbelivably comfortable, and looks good aswell.
Basiclly, its all you can ask from a bass.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Cool. So, I'm thinking of getting a Fender Jazz Bass with an Ampeg 50w Combo Amp. Any recommendations on reference books since I intend to be self taught.
I luve my P-special. It just has so much variety! I could spend hours just getting different sounds by twidelling the knobs. No wait, I have spent hours :p
Besides forums on this site, I'd recommend the Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar [ISBN: 1-59257-311-8]. Besides introducing you to what goes into playing the your four-stringed, one-eyed, low-end people eater, you'll have 101 courses into whatever genre of music you're looking into...
Quote by Ranxston
Bass is big and large. Only real men can handle it and hot women.

Quote by Inahrima
Oh and don't just play to the beat, have hot dirty sex with it
oh for god's sake, if you want this bass to be beginer and expandable to other styles and be useful for a good amount of time DO NOT GET A FENDER...

The mexican made are automatically crap and the American are hit and miss

if you want that real nice hum and warm fuzzy feeling from the E string, go with somthing else, go to a shop and try it out. alot of fenders don't pick up the lower frequency that well unless you willing to spend more than you should on a beginer bass... it's too much treble even while trying to be bass.

My first bass was a Carlo Robelli Sam Ash generic crap for 300, it was active/passive, and I could get all sorts of tones out of it, but importantly it could get that bass hum with out having to push the low all the way up. Last time I went to a place that sold fender I couldn't find a bass that wasn't more than twice that Carlo robelli and could still remember the bass players responsibility to the low end.

So yeah a fender bass can be 'beautiful' but for a butt load more than what you should spend. Man from a bass player and a musician, don't get fender, to me it's either for Bass players with money (expensive and nice fender) or guitar players who want a bass (crap fender)
dont need a special cable, but you DO need a bass amp, otherwise youll crack your speakers. you really dont need straplocks, for the time being (really helps on stage though).

fender jazz bass is good for just about anything.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by SavedbyJaco
oh for god's sake, if you want this bass to be beginer and expandable to other styles and be useful for a good amount of time DO NOT GET A FENDER...

So yeah a fender bass can be 'beautiful' but for a butt load more than what you should spend. Man from a bass player and a musician, don't get fender, to me it's either for Bass players with money (expensive and nice fender) or guitar players who want a bass (crap fender)

Don't listen to this guy, he's talking out his ass.

Why would 90% of us have Fenders if they suck? I think you are talking about gibsons
And no, they are not expensive. They are well priced for what you are getting
Fender MIJ Precision
a fender is not something without a bottom end. maybe you played a squier- bu i still dont see what could cause you to rant.

ive been playin for 2 1/2 years, and your getting a nicer start for gear then i have now.

and as for books, i really dont think youll need much. you have our knowledge and help here, which can help alot (if not better) then a book.

remember, the internet is your friend for learning such things.

welcome to the team!
futball season and football season.
Fenders are always a solid choice, though don't limit yourself and do try a few other brands as well. Considering your current price range, there are some great options out there for Ibanez, Yamaha etc etc. Also, remember that more that half of your sound is the quality of your amp, so if you had to weigh your consideration on whether to buy a better amp or better bass, the amp is always going to be the best bet.

Also, having had shoulder issues in the past, I can't stress how important a good strap is. Strap locks are great when you start performing on a regular basis, but aren't a "must have". Also get a good case for your instrument.

As far as books are concerned, Hal Leonard's Bass Method (I - III) is one of the best and most comprehensive books for learning about bass. Its used by most of the bass teachers I know. It will cover all the basics and throw in a few advanced concepts towards the end as well.