Hi,

I've still got a lot of learning to do, so here are some terms or ideas I've heard slung around here, that I would love to have defined for me:

-Sweep Picking

-Chromatics

-Dynamic Contrast (in relation to song writing?)

-Vibrato (I know its some sort of technique for making a certain type of sound, but not sure what sound, I've always just skipped it while reading tabs )

-String Theory

-Where Babies come from....

Thanks,

-ZC
Vibrato is when you play a note and vibrate it up and down, if you watch video's of Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton Etc, you'll see it all over the plac, it's great for adding extra expression to notes.
sweep picking is a technique used to play faster notes without complicated pickstrokes. its used alot in metal, theres some lessons on here that can show you.

idk about chromatics but there is such thing as a chromatic scale.

vibrato is just when you vibrate the string slightly on a note to make the pitch go up and down.

string theory.... add on to the big bang theory...

and babys.... well, when a man meets a woman....XD
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by ZanasCross
-Sweep Picking

Quote by ZanasCross
-Chromatics

notes that light right next to each other chromatically, only a half step apart
listen to "Flight of the Bumblebee" by Rimsky-Korsakov, its more or less entirely built up of chromatic 16th notes

Quote by ZanasCross
-Dynamic Contrast (in relation to song writing?)

err....loud <--> quiet?

Quote by ZanasCross
-Vibrato (I know its some sort of technique for making a certain type of sound, but not sure what sound, I've always just skipped it while reading tabs )

modulation of pitch
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vibrato&search=Search

Quote by ZanasCross
-String Theory

http://xkcd.com/171/

Quote by ZanasCross
-Where Babies come from....

I heard the stork brings them
Dynamic contrast is a big thing in uptempo swing jazz- it's too fast to really swing, so they accent the top and bottom notes of runs. It's doing different dynamics in passages in order to add excitement or tension or the like.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!