I wasn't quite sure which forum this should be in...oh well.

Is there any way to mod a DigiTech Whammy reissue to make it true bypass? I've heard it can and can't be done, and I was just wondering what the truth is.

I think I'm going to buy one next week, and I've tried the Wh-4 and I liked how the effects sounded, but because it wasn't true bypass, it sucked tone out of my setup when it was off, and changed the sound a bit also (guessing you guys already knew that). I'm curious if I can make it true bypass so it won't do this, thus making it a good buy. If not, it'll be a major pain to save up the extra $400-500 to buy the original.
Save yourself alot of time or money, buy or build a true bypass looper

You can build one pretty easily, or you can buy a bypass strip with multiple loops.
Which one would you recommend? I'd actually never thought of that, and I've never had any experience with true bypass loopers. To tell you the truth, I'm not even exactly sure what they do, but I get the general picture.
well, its a little box with a footswitch on it. you put your guitar in the input, and the output goes to your amp. it has "loops". you put your pedal in one of these, and leave it turned on (or off, up to you) when its turned off, your guitars signal doesnt pass through that loop. when turn on, it does, so the effect is used.

im not good at explaining things.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=23 This is a small looper. You can build them pretty easily if you have some basic soldering skills. Google it for more info.
I'd personally get the loop. I have a strip with 5 loops & a tuner out. Cost about $160. I also have one with 4 loops I build myself. I could've got some of those pedals modded to true bypass, but i stuck with the loops, because I can use them for different pedals. Although now all I use is my TS-9, my crybaby and my metal muff, all of which are true bypass :S
There's absolutely no need to make the WH4 true bypass. The buffers inside are very high quality - I've checked on an oscilloscope the frequency response between true bypass and off and there's no difference within the hearing range of a normal person. The whammy won't work as well in true bypass as the input is supposed to be always connected to the DSP chip - that's what allows it to respond quickly when you activate it.
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
Quote by Wyld Stallyn
There's absolutely no need to make the WH4 true bypass. The buffers inside are very high quality - I've checked on an oscilloscope the frequency response between true bypass and off and there's no difference within the hearing range of a normal person. The whammy won't work as well in true bypass as the input is supposed to be always connected to the DSP chip - that's what allows it to respond quickly when you activate it.

he said it changes his tone. we all decide what "our" tone will be. If he thinks it changes it, and wants it fixed, then we should just give him our advice. He obviously sees a need to have it true bypassed. Lets help him do something he wants to do, rather than say "theres no need to do it"

Plenty of people complain about problems with tone sucking in the 4th re-issue, so how sure are you? Or are all these people imagining it?

Sorry if i seem like an asshole, but my posts always make me out to be one :S
That, and it'd be nice to have one of those true bypass loopers just incase I ever needed one, so it's not entirely a dumb idea to get one of those along with my Whammy.

I'll be buying it next Friday, can't wait!!!