For the majority of my music, I download it, then if I like the artist, I'll go and eventually buy a copy to support them. If they're ****, I'll delete it.

Anywho, when I go to buy albums I'll occasionally start looking around for new names and such to expand on, and about 75% of the time, I'll find something that looks moderately interesting, and as I bring it to the register/(or worse)listen to it in the car, I realize something: it's ****ing ****!

One specific incident happened not too long ago. I'm a huge Nile fan, and I buy every album they come out with, because... like I said, I like to support the artist. In any case, I got to pick up Ithyphallic, and while I'm in the Rock/Pop aisle (>.>, I notice a case labeled... OK, to be honest, I can't really recall what it was called, but the band name just screamed "VIKING METUHLZ", so I snagged it at like $9.00 or so and checked out.

About ten minutes later I'm returning it. I chose to spend my credit in the store, as they couldn't give me a full cash refund for some odd reason, and as I browsed I noticed an exact copy of what I'd purchased and realized another thing; my copy had been vandalized! Apparently someone thought it would be funny to remove the "FEATURING AS I LAY DYING'S VOCALIST: TIM LAMBESIS" sticker and trick some poor civilian to horrible music as a joke.

So, in conclusion to this little tale/rant, I think it should be mandatory for ALL record stores to have a little listening station, or at least a computer with internet access which could allow its consumers to research the music before they purchase it.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Yup. Nice avatar, that's an entertaining anime.

Bands & Artists Forum would maybe be a better place for this thread, or The Pit.
most stores i go into have several listening stations in them where did u get it from?
MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:
"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"
The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
I have yet to be in a store without a listening station, except the headphones break waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easily.

And threadstarter, I read your Vintersorg review on MA the other day, 'twas nice.
Or you could use your own internet and research the bands BEFORE you buy them.

And this doesn't have anything to do with metal, except you thought an album was and wasn't.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
To megaderrick: Noted; threads similar to this will be located there. Oh, and... I guess thanks for the... "compliment". (?)

Oh, and it was an FYE, actually, but they didn't have any listening stations... Well, there was one, but there was a crowd of Naruto/Hot Topic freaks listening to some Panic! At The Disco or Fall Out Boy album or something, and I didn't feel like corrupting myself by going near their filthy stench of metaphorical ignorance.
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
It's not such a bad idea. Sometimes I find grim things in the store and I have no clue what it's about, and I don't want to spend 12 big ones (i r jobless) on a CD just because the cover is only in black and white and it's a Norwegian cultural export. I end up forgetting the name of whatever band it is. The only band I found at the store that I actually checked out was Sargeist, and I didn't bother going back and buying the CD. It wasn't bad though.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Shining_Yrael
To megaderrick: Noted; threads similar to this will be located there. Oh, and... I guess thanks for the... "compliment". (?)

Oh, and it was an FYE, actually, but they didn't have any listening stations... Well, there was one, but there was a crowd of Naruto/Hot Topic freaks listening to some Panic! At The Disco or Fall Out Boy album or something, and I didn't feel like corrupting myself by going near their filthy stench of metaphorical ignorance.

So they didn't have listening stations, but they did? If you're not smart enough to check out something before you buy it then you deserve to be ripped off. Please go buy a car without test driving it. And you "didn't feel like corrupting yourself by going near" those guys? In other words, you're just an idiot who was impatient and a ****tard, am I right? Who cares what they were listening to or wearing? How does that have anything to do with the fact that you were being a prick and got a nice CD because of it?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
To i have to pee: Usually, I do as such, which was why I posted the whole: "Usually I..." thing at the very beginning of the topic. It was just a spur of the moment sort of thing.

To Mr. President: =)

Oh, and I related the Nile + Non Metal artist thing to Metal Forum. Apologies; As stated above, similar topics will be located in the general Bands & Artists forum. If any mods would like to move this, I'd be obliged, by the way.
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by i have to pee
So they didn't have listening stations, but they did? If you're not smart enough to check out something before you buy it then you deserve to be ripped off. Please go buy a car without test driving it. And you "didn't feel like corrupting yourself by going near" those guys? In other words, you're just an idiot who was impatient and a ****tard, am I right? Who cares what they were listening to or wearing? How does that have anything to do with the fact that you were being a prick and got a nice CD because of it?

Exactly.

EDIT: Oh, and actually, in hindsight, it might have been better on my part to have said something a long the lines of "enough listening stations to service more than one person in a busy mall".
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Last edited by Shining_Yrael at Aug 12, 2007,
Quote by Shining_Yrael

Yeah it was sincere, I believe the anime is called Fooley Cooley or something like that. Good stuff, that's all I'm tryin to say.

And I do agree about stores having sufficient numbers of listening stations. Most of the bigger stores near me have them and they're handy.
=)
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Just dont go to the big chain C.D stores...go find a local metal store or buy C.Ds at gigs or something.
"We've had many cases in this department where a body has been found in pieces, or decomposed, and we've been able to put things together. Yes, the head, the upper part of the body, in a very badly
decomposed state"
I live in Georgia.

Can you say "I'M ****ED ON VARIETY"?
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Just spend a little more time looking at stuff before you buy it.

I only buy albums if they've been recommended to me by a friend or it's an album of a band I've downloaded before and listened too/liked.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Wise advice, but I'm afraid, as i have to pee so eloquently put it, "I'm an idiot who was impatient and a ****tard".
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Meh, whatever. It can work either way. I buy albums at random as well, sometimes you can find cool stuff.

It's just music, you know. You don't have to research something and then make sure it's 100% what you want it to sound like before buying it.

Like I said, spend a little more time, that's all. But I mean, still branch out, what if you discover some rad band?

Yeah, you're not an idiot or a tard. Just relax and have a listen to the album, is it bad or what? If you can't return it, give it to your mum as a christmas present. I don't know about your mum, but every other mum ever LOVES metal.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
There's not much you can do.. Listening to the album before you buy kinda destroys the bands idea, and in ways rips off the store.
Like people have said before you never know you might find some really cool bands out there!
Quote by punk_metal
Listening to the album before you buy kinda destroys the bands idea, and in ways rips off the store.

How so?
When i was growing up record stores were a little more common and there were listening booths sometimes.
you know what piss's me off, when i go to walmart, as i pass by the music section and i notice, rock, rap, Latino, country, PoP!!11ZOMG, and i say to my self. i cant belive people listen to half this crap...
Last edited by kinzoku at Aug 13, 2007,
When CD shopping, to me, buying albums at random is a big no-no. Since I don't want to spend money on something I might or might not enjoy. For me, I buy albums on 3 factors: 1) I know the artist/band well, 2) I've heard a few songs off of the album and think it's worth checking out the rest, and 3) I have heard the album already and liked it. So, I would like to do the right thing and support them. Way I look at it.
Quote by Shining_Yrael
For the majority of my music, I download it, then if I like the artist, I'll go and eventually buy a copy to support them. If they're ****, I'll delete it.

Anywho, when I go to buy albums I'll occasionally start looking around for new names and such to expand on, and about 75% of the time, I'll find something that looks moderately interesting, and as I bring it to the register/(or worse)listen to it in the car, I realize something: it's ****ing ****!

One specific incident happened not too long ago. I'm a huge Nile fan, and I buy every album they come out with, because... like I said, I like to support the artist. In any case, I got to pick up Ithyphallic, and while I'm in the Rock/Pop aisle (>.>, I notice a case labeled... OK, to be honest, I can't really recall what it was called, but the band name just screamed "VIKING METUHLZ", so I snagged it at like $9.00 or so and checked out.

About ten minutes later I'm returning it. I chose to spend my credit in the store, as they couldn't give me a full cash refund for some odd reason, and as I browsed I noticed an exact copy of what I'd purchased and realized another thing; my copy had been vandalized! Apparently someone thought it would be funny to remove the "FEATURING AS I LAY DYING'S VOCALIST: TIM LAMBESIS" sticker and trick some poor civilian to horrible music as a joke.

So, in conclusion to this little tale/rant, I think it should be mandatory for ALL record stores to have a little listening station, or at least a computer with internet access which could allow its consumers to research the music before they purchase it.

/Thread
Quote by greety
Meh, whatever. It can work either way. I buy albums at random as well, sometimes you can find cool stuff.

It's just music, you know. You don't have to research something and then make sure it's 100% what you want it to sound like before buying it.

Like I said, spend a little more time, that's all. But I mean, still branch out, what if you discover some rad band?

Yeah, you're not an idiot or a tard. Just relax and have a listen to the album, is it bad or what? If you can't return it, give it to your mum as a christmas present. I don't know about your mum, but every other mum ever LOVES metal.

+1. Buying stuff because it looks cool is how I discovered Ayreon.
Quote by kinzoku
you know what piss's me off, when i go to walmart, as i pass by the music section and i notice, rock, rap, Latino, country, PoP!!11ZOMG, and i say to my self. i cant belive people listen to half this crap...

This is sarcasm right?

I once bought a "The bled" cd because someone told me they sounded like Converge....or the disappointment ):

I gave it to my brother, and he lost it.
wow where do you live...i have some sh!t music stores but they all have listening stations
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
I discovered metal (well, at the time I was only into Megadeth) by randomly finding a piece of paper in a wastebasket in my high school years ago. Someone (for some reason) had printed out the album cover of a Hammerfall cd and then threw it away. But I found it and my friend downloaded them and everything went to hell after that. I still have that piece of **** paper, and it was displayed on my dorm-room wall every year at college.

This had nothing to do with the present conversation.
I never buy albums at random. I don't really have space to waste money, so when I buy albums I make sure beforehand that they're pretty goddamn good.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
mortiis999 = win
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by mortiis999

/Thread

mortiis strikes again.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Should've returned the Nile album while you were at it.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by GhostofSanity
New Nile kicks ass. D:<

its not as good as there old stuff.. listen to ramses bringer of war if you dont believe me.