I played this particular amp (in tweed, so I'm unsure if it's original or a reissue, I'm not very knowledgeable on amps) in a store yesterday (on a Fender Telecaster Deluxe, the closest guitar I could find to my Fender AV Jaguar '62) and I absolutely loved its tone.

I've been contemplating selling a few things and purchasing it (it was $1100 CND, around $950 USD) due to its totally amazing tone. But before making such a large purchase (I'm sixteen -- $1100 is a lot of money for me) I was wondering if anyone can give me some opinions/factoids on said amp.

Thanks.
You're an anarcho-communist! Just steal it! It's for the greater good of the musical world.

In reality, you might want to try haggling with the shop owner, you could probably get it to like $1000 or something...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I lol'd, that's clever.

Meh, I'm not bad at haggling and I've found Long & McQuade to be damn stiff with their prices in the past. That and considering what I've seen online $1100's not a bad price to beginw ith.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I haven't played the '59RI, but I do have a Bassman. Are you sure that a 50 watt amp is actually useful for you? It needs to be turned up to sound best, which makes it way too loud for bedroom practice. If you only play clean, that's no problem. And seeing as Fender doesn't make another tweed reissue (besides the rediculously expensicve Twin), there aren't really any lower-wattage amps (made by Fender) which will sound very similar.

I've also read that the overdriven tone of the '59RI just isn't very good, but that was of course just an opinion. Try some of the other fender amps (Deluxe Reverb, Custom Vibrolux Reverb, etc.) and you might be able to find an amp which you like better.
Quote by mr_hankey
Try some of the other fender amps (Deluxe Reverb, Custom Vibrolux Reverb, etc.) and you might be able to find an amp which you like better.

+1

I've never really given the Bassman RI a good run thru, but I've also heard some not-so-favorable things about it. Considering that these other amps have more features (trem & reverb), and are a little lower in wattage and a lot easier to get around (1x12 vs. 4x10), they're definitely worth looking into.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
(Minor bump, I just woke up)
The amp's volume is not a problem, I'd be using it mainly for band practices (which occupy a significant part of my guitar playing time -- we practice five times a week, generally at least three hours each time) and the occasional gig, not bedroom playing. I don't have enough earning power to save for a stack (it would be unrealistic) and my current amp doesn't have good cleans, which is what I'm mainly looking at the Bassman for.
I've also heard the Bassman through a pedal simillar to my own (again on the Deluxe Telecaster) and found the sound to be nice, not perfect but workable. For the rare times that I do use distortion that seems sufficient for me.

EDIT: I've played the Deluxe Reverb and while I liked it, it didn't floor me nearly as much as the bassman did.
No one dared
Last edited by Me2NiK at Aug 13, 2007,
Sounds like you did your homework. I say you go for it! The Bassman has it's own tone, and if it works for you, you're not going to find it anywhere else.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I played a 59' Bassman RI and it's my favorite Fender amp. I'd definitely go for it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to be purchasing it this weekend (I called in to put a $50 deposit on it so they don't sell it, if I decide to change my mind big ****, I lose $50) unless someone talks me out of it.
No one dared
Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Go for it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...