What are some things I can practice/learn when I'm not playing my instruments? I feel like I'm wasting so much time on the computer (I WOULD be on my instruments, but its too late to play and it will 'disturb neighbors' as my parents would put it) when I could be learning or practicing something musically. Learning theory is the obvious thing but I don't want to just read and read and read and keep reading theory. Maybe just reciting all the scales in all keys in my head? Naming all the chord voicings? What else do you guys do when not with your instruments?

Thanks.
get a practice amp, or use headphones with your amp..then tell ur parents to kiss your ass. and about the other stuff...reciting scales in your head?, naming chord voicings?...dude seriously! playing guitar is suposed to be fun! if ur that bored just play the damn thing unplugged!!
Quote by ColdbulleT
Please don't tell me the rest of the Musician Talk forum acts like this.

acts like what??

how can there be any other answer than to play through headphones.... it doesnt take a genius.

i live in a block of flats, i havent used my amp in a year... not saying its ideal, but playing unplugged will be good practice, through headphones even better.

if you are at work, away from the guitar, like ME NOW! then just read up on theory, thinking of things to play with in the small time on your instrument

Practice on an acoustic (assuming you're not allowed to play an electric), acoustic necks tend to be thicker/wider, and the fretboards harder to maneuver along (atleast in my experience), so at the least you will become a more agile player?

If in doubt you could always just practice with your left/right hand, fretting but not picking the notes?
singing? then when your home, you can put your singing and playing together cuz one of my guitar teachers told me a good guitarist is a dime a dozen but when u get a good guitarist that can sing people will beg for u to play in their band
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
behringer pedal:TO800, UD100, EQ700
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
-have succesful first show
TS are you from the AAJ boards? I saw a thread exactly like this and I'm assuming you're a member there, if so then you play horn and no offense to any of the advice here but you should probably just go with what the AAJ members said. The advice there is amazing.

Again no offense to the board members of the forum I mod I'm just saying that most of the guys there are professional jazz musicians and such.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by VR2005
TS are you from the AAJ boards? I saw a thread exactly like this and I'm assuming you're a member there, if so then you play horn and no offense to any of the advice here but you should probably just go with what the AAJ members said. The advice there is amazing.

Again no offense to the board members of the forum I mod I'm just saying that most of the guys there are professional jazz musicians and such.

Ya, Im at AAJ every so often and they really do know what they are talking about.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
:O, I'm a member on the AAJ forums too I love that place!

And to make this post useful: Definitely try to find a good headphone jack for you're amp, or you could work usual music-theory stuff that you would HAVE to learn without the guitar in your hands. Learn a new staff, or if you're completely new to standard notation, start learning .
yeah, someone above said to jut practice unplugged. i did that every night after 10 pm (usually for 3 or 4 hours) and i loved it. it definately helps you get more accurate too.
Quote by VR2005

Riteo.
Learn some theory?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
How about listening to music and getting ideas for songs, or listening to certain style of guitar player you like for a different approach to rhythm and soloing.