for what kind of music?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
for what kind of music?

Classic Rock mostly, alternative, and some metal too.... But again it will mostly be Classic Rock. I currently have a Fender MIM HSS Strat.
take a look at the vox advt series. suits classic rock perfectly and will handle some classic metal. not great for modern metal though
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
take a look at the vox advt series. suits classic rock perfectly and will handle some classic metal. not great for modern metal though

what about the new xl series of the advts? they are supposed to have nicer gain

ts id also reccomend my amp(ephiphone firefly 30 dsp)... along with a bigg muff... its a hybrid (it is people), and it really sounds nice... why i recommend the big muff is the amps distortion is a little a noisy, but the cleans mixed with chorus are very nice(if you know how to eq)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

I have also heard a few people say that Roland Cubes, and Marshall MG's are good.... What's your take?
Quote by Journey....
I have also heard a few people say that Roland Cubes, and Marshall MG's are good.... What's your take?

Cube=Good. MG=Bad.

I'd check out Epi VJ's and Fender Champs also.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Journey....

Roland cubes are great little modeling amps like the Vox however, i'd advise you steer clear of the MGs as they are poorly made and are overpriced.
The Vox ADVT are the best non all tube amps about IMO.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by Journey....

cubes are good for mainly metal, voxes are more versatile...

and the fender champs are pretty nice, they get crunchy enough for classic rock on their own, but add an overdrive and its should be good for metal
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by BodaciousBob
The Vox ADVT are the best non all tube amps about IMO.

So go for the Vox ADVT.... Is 15w enough for me as I am just learning?
^ should be... but if you save up a little more for the 30, you can have enough volume to practice with a small band when time comes
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by Journey....
So go for the Vox ADVT.... Is 15w enough for me as I am just learning?

15 is enough if you're just practicing in your house. However, at your price range, you might find a 50watt. That will be more useful down the road. I got my AD50VT for $225 (open box deal)
Since you mention more classic rock then anything else you may want to go try them first. I went saturday with the intention of buying either ad30vt or ad30vt-xl and after a few hours ended up buying a Vox DA 20. The xl is geared way towards the metal end and although I got some decent tones out of it, it was just to much for what I wanted. The standard VT was better for most of the music I like to play and there's more then enough settings to keep you busy for a long time, but they had the DA 20 sitting there and i offhandedly plugged into it (just to see). I really liked the tone for classic rock and blues. No where near the settings of the vt. They aren't even in the same league,but the twin speakers in the DA sounded great for what I like to do and that's what I bought. I was on my bike so they had to ship it to me. Soon as I get it i'll give it a run with some pedals. The effects on it are minimal (at least compared to the vt), but i think that's the direction i'm going to start going. Pedals are usually better anyway.

edit: the DA 20 isn't as loud as even the 15 vt-xl so that maybe an issue for you. I have a PA so it doesn't matter. The guitars I used to test the amps were a Dean USA hardtail classic quilt ($2500), an american strat hotrod 57 ($1600) and a Dean Black Gold V ($700).
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by scott58
Since you mention more classic rock then anything else you may want to go try them first. I went saturday with the intention of buying either ad30vt or ad30vt-xl and after a few hours ended up buying a Vox DA 20. The xl is geared way towards the metal end and although I got some decent tones out of it, it was just to much for what I wanted. The standard VT was better for most of the music I like to play and there's more then enough settings to keep you busy for a long time, but they had the DA 20 sitting there and i offhandedly plugged into it (just to see). I really liked the tone for classic rock and blues. No where near the settings of the vt. They aren't even in the same league,but the twin speakers in the DA sounded great for what I like to do and that's what I bought. I was on my bike so they had to ship it to me. Soon as I get it i'll give it a run with some pedals. The effects on it are minimal (at least compared to the vt), but i think that's the direction i'm going to start going. Pedals are usually better anyway.

edit: the DA 20 isn't as loud as even the 15 vt-xl so that maybe an issue for you. I have a PA so it doesn't matter. The guitars I used to test the amps were a Dean USA hardtail classic quilt ($2500), an american strat hotrod 57 ($1600) and a Dean Black Gold V ($700).

Thanks for the info... It is much appreciated. On my way to the GC to pick it up!