With no amps or effects pedals for the next 4-5weeks, the only amp I have to use is a bandmates VJ head, and in a week or 2, my own VJ head modded by Kerry. I don't need something for gigs, just to practice with till my insurance pays out

So. To get a hard rock/metal tone out of a VJ, should I use a metal muff or a tubescreamer? I only have enough money for 1 pedal atm, and I can really only spend about 100 USD.

The guitar I'll be using is an Ibanez RG321MH. Yeah, I know, nothing special, but my other guitars got stolen along with my amp & pedals.
Oh damn unlucky, as you're using a VJ i would have suggested a Maxon OD-9 [original tubescreamer] but hrm i'm not too sure; perhaps the metal muff would be better for you to get a more EQ'd distortion tone easier, rather than having to crank the amp
Boss DS-1 should do the job really. If you go used, you can get an EQ pedal as well.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

If you want to play metal, go with the metal muff. You'll be disapointed with the tubescreamer for metal...on any amp. The Tubescreamer will get you a nice rock sound, but I dont care who says what...you cant do metal with it.
I wouldn't mind used, but the TS-9 and the metal muff 2 of the things i had stolen anyway (METAL MUFF WAS 3 DAYS OLD). So i have to replace them eventually
awww dude , where did they steal it ? how did it happen ? get the metal muff first
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
my house got broken into

came back in the middle of it, couldn't catch them.

some stuff got stolen out of my dads car, and its taking extra time to claim it cause the company reckons it wasnt covered in its location
They broke in and took your guitar pedals? Was it one of those Youtube shredder wannabe's?
lol they took jewels, laptop computers, mobile phones, 2 guitars, pedals, my DSL50, my decimator G, and this crappy laney head i used as a backup
why would i do that? maybe i prefer having the extra post. You came and posted in a thread just to attempt to be a smartass. But in reality, you just come off as a 12 year old kid trying to make himself feel big on the internet
Quote by Cofflecakes
lol they took jewels, laptop computers, mobile phones, 2 guitars, pedals, my DSL50, my decimator G, and this crappy laney head i used as a backup

Goddamn, that's terrible man
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Goddamn, that's terrible man

all up we lost about 15k worth of things which explains why im in a pretty horrible mood, and why i snapped at than teen up there commenting on the fact i prefer not to use the edit button
Wow, sorry.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I was simply pointing you in the direction of self-enlightenment . But, hey. Now you've got me started, perhaps it's time I pointed out a couple of things.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that your house was burgaled, and wish you good luck in getting your stuff (or at least a financial settlement with the insurance company) back.

Secondly, if you previously owned a Metal Muff and a TS-9 on top of a DSL50 and also the Laney head as a backup, I would've thought you would have a rough idea of what does what. So it surprises me as to why you're asking UG this kind of question. Perhaps your DSL50 was enough for your distortion needs, and you used the pedals sparingly. I don't know, you haven't pointed this out to us yet.

Thirdly, the Metal Muff range retails in the US from $63 to $89, and the TS9 at $99. To me it seems a pretty obvious choice to go with the MM. It'll give you what you need, doesn't break the bank, and you already have experience with it, so you're one up there already. The TS9 is a nice extra, but if all you want is something to practice with, then the 'Muff's the way to go.

Good luck
Quote by Don_Humpador
Wow, sorry.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I was simply pointing you in the direction of self-enlightenment . But, hey. Now you've got me started, perhaps it's time I pointed out a couple of things.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that your house was burgaled, and wish you good luck in getting your stuff (or at least a financial settlement with the insurance company) back.

Secondly, if you previously owned a Metal Muff and a TS-9 on top of a DSL50 and also the Laney head as a backup, I would've thought you would have a rough idea of what does what. So it surprises me as to why you're asking UG this kind of question. Perhaps your DSL50 was enough for your distortion needs, and you used the pedals sparingly. I don't know, you haven't pointed this out to us yet.

Thirdly, the Metal Muff range retails in the US from $63 to $89, and the TS9 at $99. To me it seems a pretty obvious choice to go with the MM. It'll give you what you need, doesn't break the bank, and you already have experience with it, so you're one up there already. The TS9 is a nice extra, but if all you want is something to practice with, then the 'Muff's the way to go.

Good luck

I live in australia, so the metal muff & the ts-9 are going to cost me about the same amount. I never got to use my ts-9 with my dsl, and i didnt bother trying it with the laney because its a solid state piece of crap. I only had the ts-9 back for a week, because I sent it off to a friend as soon as i got it to get modded for true bypass. Your right in that the DSL50 gave me most of my distortion needs. I got the TS-9 because I've heard so many great things about them and played around with one at my friends house. The metal muff was for using at times when I didn't have a hot plate or I couldn't use too much volume.

Ive only used a tubescreamer with an ashton tube head, and i sort of know how it works, but i mainly bought it to experiment with.

I'll stick with your advice, and go for the metal muff.

The being robbed and the loss of 2 family members in the past 2 months have pretty much screwed me financially, so i've been taking everything way too seriously and just being in a foul mood. Please accept my apology, and I assure you, If im going to be a prick, I'll keep it off UG
Quote by Don_Humpador
Mm...Edit button.

Edit : Yup, it still works. Try using it sometime.

ZOMG INTERNTZ SERIOUS BIZNIZ

Dude where in London are you?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
ZOMG INTERNTZ SERIOUS BIZNIZ

Dude where in London are you?

East. Let's leave it at that. I don't want you knocking on my door with the intention to kill me with a fire axe.
Dude, why would I do that? Im in ****ing west son lol, hardly a threat..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by Cofflecakes
why would i do that? maybe i prefer having the extra post. You came and posted in a thread just to attempt to be a smartass. But in reality, you just come off as a 12 year old kid trying to make himself feel big on the internet

because its against the rules, buddy.

Though i am sorry to hear about all that shit going on in your life though, man. I can relate, to an extent, and it really fucking sucks.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by philjay
Dude, why would I do that? Im in ****ing west son lol, hardly a threat..

What can I say? You Westerners are a scary bunch.

Oh christ, if the FBI read this out of context, I'm in the clanger.
Tubescreamer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by p.stick
Boss DS-1 should do the job really. If you go used, you can get an EQ pedal as well.

That pedal sounds horrible through my VJ.

If I was you, I'd just buy an EQ pedal, I was surprised at how heavy of tones I could get out of this little amp.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Don_Humpador
What can I say? You Westerners are a scary bunch.

Oh christ, if the FBI read this out of context, I'm in the clanger.

WESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAYYYYYYD

And to make this a non-spam post:

Can EQs be put between the amp and speakers? Random question, probably dumb and Im assuming it cant be done but...

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot