sorry if this has been done before but the search didn't come up with anything. Anyways, what aspects of guitar playing should an average person have accomplished before being called 'good'. What songs/solos (if any) should be accomplished and how should they be able to play? I don't want to know why hendrix/vai are so good and which is better and I don't want just 'theory' answers (or there'll be a lot).
Many things. Tone, technical ability, confidence, charisma, ability to improvise, playing with musicality, knowing theory. To be a good guitarist you have know many things and must have a perfectionist atitude appart from a good struck of luck and a bit of talent.
- Ability to improvise
- Technique and theory
- Ability to play rhythm
- Ability to play acoustic lead [not just chords]
- Ability to fingerpick
- Diversity and not being afraid to experiment different playing styles
- The ability to be original
- The ability to play with other people [as well as people outside your genre there and then]
- The ability to play lead on a clean channel with technique
- The ability to put emotion into playing
- The ability to write melodic pieces of music
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by Harmonius
- Ability to improvise
- Technique and theory
- Ability to play acoustic lead [not just chords]
- Ability to fingerpick
- Diversity and not being afraid to experiment different playing styles
- The ability to be original
- The ability to play with other people outside your genre there and then
- The ability to play lead on a clean channel with technique

for a man with a butterfly avatar you sure are hard to please
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Technical Ability
Being able to stay in the pocket at all times
A knowledge of the rules (theory) and how to break them
Improvisational skills
Must be a strong rhythm player
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by funkbass369
for a man with a butterfly avatar you sure are hard to please

I confess, I r elitist
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

That you get laid at least after 1 of every 3 shows you play.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Ability to be orginal
Abilty to be technical as well as show diversity
Ability to improvise
Ability to play different timings
A positive attitude, expressive, and self confident.
the abilty to write song defines the guitarist thats what made eddie van halen so great
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Feeling, Riff Writing Ability, Skill. That being said, a 'good' guitarist doesn't shred all over the place, they play what sounds good instead of a million notes a second. Like Marty Friedman, he plays what he thinks will sound nice and melodic rather that "Oh man, that was raaaaad" style music. That way it is actually listenable.
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
If you can play powerchords and sh!tty solos then your equal to Kurt Cobain who is apparently the 12 greatest ever. That would make u better than people such as Satch, vai, randy rhoads, van halen, slash, santana, gilmour, blackmore to name just a few.
I think all it takes is the ability to play whatever sound is in your head. Some people don't hear or want to play neo-classical shred.
Hi, I'm Peter
For me a great guitarist (GENUINELY) channels emotions from his/her soul, through his/her guitar, to the listener.
They need to be able to do several things well. Such as play a little rhythm guitar, you know, like "jug jiggedy jug jiggedy jug jiggedy jah JAH!"
And also some hot lixx too, like where you mash your fingers together way up on the tiny strings, like "meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!".
Some might say "good" is subjective.

John Williams is "good" in the sense that he is one of the best known Contemporary Classical musicians. He can interpret some Classical pieces better than anyone I've ever heard (especially Barrios).

Andrés Segovia is "good" in the sense that he can masterfully interpret pieces originally on other instruments for guitar, such as the compositions of Bach. For this reason, he brought the guitar up from a poor man's instrument.

Agustín Barrios Mangoré is "good" in the sense that he has written some of the greatest pieces ever for the solo guitar, and is regarded by some to be the most important and/or greatest guitarist composer of all.

Federico Moreno Torroba is "good" in the sense that he has original and very abstract compositions for the guitar. He explores scales and an obscure character which I don't hear in too many composers.

Really any famous guitarist is particularly good in one aspect of their playing. Duane Allman and Derek Trucks can play slide guitar better than anyone I've ever heard. There are many different ways to look at a guitarist. I personally hold composing in the highest respect of a musician. To me, Claude Debussy is a very unique Classical musician in the sense that he explored freedom and broke away from a very strict structure of music. This, along with his dreamy character and mood of his compositions are the reason why he is my favorite composer.

So, there are simply too many charecteristics a guitarist can be called "good" for me to name...
Last edited by The Madcap at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by confusius
Many things. Tone, technical ability, confidence, charisma, ability to improvise, playing with musicality, knowing theory. To be a good guitarist you have know many things and must have a perfectionist atitude appart from a good struck of luck and a bit of talent.

+1
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
In general:
-Versatility
-Awareness of dynamics
-Awareness of expression
-Good sense of phrasings
-Consistency in performance
-Awareness of context in the music

In specific styles:
-For jazz: tastefulness of improvisation, appropriate chording styles for various band situations, rhythmic accuracy and dynamics, distinct style.
-For rock and similar styles: ability to play lead and rhythm, tightness of rhythm sections corresponding to the whole ensemble, distinct and tasteful style.
-For classical: Appropriate interpretation, awareness of different styles during various eras of classical music, highlighted dynamic contrasts.
A combination of good technique, along with a good amount of emotion and love for music.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Most people here would say Emotion. I think that's bull**** though.

It's about putting a certain effort into your playing to make the sounds YOU want to create.