cheap tube amps, thats what ive been looking for for so long. So what are some tube amps on the cheaper side that are big enough to play a gig?
Guitars
Fender Highway One Telecaster
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120
Boss Chromatic Pedal Tuner

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Member of the Zeppelinism Faith
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
Peavey Windsor

four EL34 power tubes is DEFINITELY loud enough to play a gig
i dont wanna spend more than 500 really, but that can be pushed..........
Guitars
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

B-52 AT112

Well Guitar Player reviewed like six of them in the Sept. issue and that was the best one, along with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
that peavey windsor looks so tastey, has anybody had any expierience with them, and is a transtube amp a tube amp, or is it like a modeling amp, might be a stupid question but meh
Guitars
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Quote by redweekrocker
that peavey windsor looks so tastey, has anybody had any expierience with them, and is a transtube amp a tube amp, or is it like a modeling amp, might be a stupid question but meh

Tube i believe.

Fender tube amps are certainly awesome so don't over look them!
in my local music store they were doing a £890 model for £500.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
i play alternative, classic rock, my band plays pop-rock/alternative/a lot of classic rock covers
Guitars
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

^Listen to this guy. He speaks truth.

Quote by redweekrocker

Transtubes are hybrid aka not tube
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i wouldnt mind buying used, but i was looking at the peavey valveking 212 for 619, but the 112 which is 50 watts would be plenty for a gig right?
Guitars
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Yeah, they are plenty loud.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
50 watts is alot in a tube amp, tube amps are more powerful than solid state if even they indicate the same amount of watts.
Quote by redweekrocker
i wouldnt mind buying used, but i was looking at the peavey valveking 212 for 619, but the 112 which is 50 watts would be plenty for a gig right?

IMO, the valvekings aren't worth it. They're pretty much the arse-end of tube amps, a used classic 30 would blow the VK out of the water.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
how much of a difference is there in loudness between solid state and tube?
Guitars
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

You can gig with a 15 watt tube amp; and it'll sound good at that volume
Quote by utsapp89
You should check some reviews on the Valveking. UG is the only forum that has many players that don't like them. Try The Gear Page and Harmony Central before you believe negative things, and try one out yourself.
Quote by uldhppi
You should check some reviews on the Valveking. UG is the only forum that has many players that don't like them. Try The Gear Page and Harmony Central before you believe negative things, and try one out yourself.

They're okay amps, man...But for the money, you can get a lot of different ones that sound better.
Quote by uldhppi

A lot of reviews are written when people are still in the honeymoon stage, i.e. about a week after they got the amp when they're convinced it's the best thing around.

Valveking's aren't bad, but they're not great either.

My Music
Depends on if you know how to use them. For younger, more inexperienced metal players they are probably not a good amp. I wouldn't recommend one as a first tube amp or to metal guitar players. Scooped mids and dimed gain don't sound good on this amp.
Quote by fifthhorseman54
B-52 AT112

Well Guitar Player reviewed like six of them in the Sept. issue and that was the best one, along with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeah those were the 2 best but considering he has a strat he might wanna look at the Fender because the B-52 is more geared for hard rock and not classic rock or cleans. Dont get me wrong the Fender can rock but the B-52 was modeled after the Peavey XXX and the Dual Recto. Im just assuming thats what your looking for by your sig BTW i could be totally wrong.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by timi_hendrix
A lot of reviews are written when people are still in the honeymoon stage, i.e. about a week after they got the amp when they're convinced it's the best thing around.

Valveking's aren't bad, but they're not great either.

I might just sig the stuff about the honeymoon... It made me laugh

EDIT: cba Tim Dorning
wait, would the peavey be good for what i play, or would i be better off with the fender?
Guitars
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

The word "honeymoon" doesn't really apply to The Gear Page. It is mostly composed of seasoned veteran players (whom some regard as cork-sniffers.) The first thing most of these guys think of when they buy a new amp is "how can I mod it to make it better?"
I'm thinking that taking reviews with a "grain of salt" is wise but dismissing them outright is not a good strategy. You have to consider the sources, as you do with UG advice (including mine.)
Quote by fifthhorseman54
B-52 AT112

The B52 is £800 in the UK

Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Alright everyone, don't rip into me, but I would suggest a Vox AD50VT. I know it isn't a pure tube amp, but its still powerful, has great effects and won't bust the bank. I saw one at my local guitar store for $360 I believe, and I think it is a great deal. I have the 30 watt version of this amp and it is great, and plenty loud for me. So maybe it is only a hybrid not pure tube, but it gets some pretty decent tube sound out of it.
Quote by g1asseye
The B52 is £800 in the UK

Oh really? 'Cause the section was the best all tube combos under $600 US

Sucks that it's more there
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
i have a vox valvetronix ad30. its a tube and was only 240 so you could get a much bigger one for 500. personally i think this amp is great.
My gear:
gibson sg
fender stratocaster
vox AD30
crybaby wah
Moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by forsaknazrael
Used Peavey Classic would be awesome for you.
Also, look into the Traynor YCV40, and YCV50 Blue. I got my YCV40 used for 425 USD.
The Crate V32 is also worth a look.

These are the best suggestions for you in this thread. A 30W tube amp is more than you'll ever really need to gig. Looking at used Fenders like the Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe would also be wise, as well as the Peavey Delta Blues.

IMHO, you get what you pay for. The VK is cheap for a reason. It's reliability is questionable, and it's tone is rather lifeless and dull (to me). It's my understanding that this can be livened up somewhat with a speaker and tube change, but that brings it up to the cost of a higher quality amp. So what was the point?

The Crate V32 112 is $500 new. It's a great sounding amp. The main reason it's cheaper than others in it's class might be that it's only one channel. If that's not an issue for you, it's a good direction for a new amp.

But you're going to get the most for your money on the used market. I buy all my amps used. I got a Vox AC30 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb each for about the cost of a new Valveking. Trust me, I'm satisfied with my purchases. Takes a little legwork and patience, but it pays off.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
These are the best suggestions for you in this thread. A 30W tube amp is more than you'll ever really need to gig. Looking at used Fenders like the Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe would also be wise, as well as the Peavey Delta Blues.

IMHO, you get what you pay for. The VK is cheap for a reason. It's reliability is questionable, and it's tone is rather lifeless and dull (to me). It's my understanding that this can be livened up somewhat with a speaker and tube change, but that brings it up to the cost of a higher quality amp. So what was the point?

The Crate V32 112 is $500 new. It's a great sounding amp. The main reason it's cheaper than others in it's class might be that it's only one channel. If that's not an issue for you, it's a good direction for a new amp.

But you're going to get the most for your money on the used market. I buy all my amps used. I got a Vox AC30 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb each for about the cost of a new Valveking. Trust me, I'm satisfied with my purchases. Takes a little legwork and patience, but it pays off.

^ You know, if you added "Crate palominos are awesome!" in your sig, you'd be able to give all the info there by just saying "Check the sig, yo." in every thread

My Music