As the title suggests, i was wondering about the puritanical attitude in the states. I'm British, so I don't really know much about it, but it all seems like the authority and alot of the community are afraid of people having fun. Firstly, the drinking age is ridiculously high, I mean you're not even allowed to taste alcohol until you're 21, in Britain you can legally drink at home from the age of 5, and buy booze at 18. I saw on the news a mother getting arrested and given 2 1/2 years prison sentence (originally 8 years) for giving thirty 16 year olds a crate of budweiser at a birthday party; needless to say, somebody called the fuzz and soon attack dogs were chasing sober boys through the woods because they tasted some weak beer.

It seems that there is a huge war on sex and drugs, two boys somking weed for the first time were given a similar sentence to a rapist ( i read that in a bill bryson book), but violence seems to be more accepted. I watched "this film is not yet rated" ( not great btw) but it was interesting how strong scenes of sex and homoerotic-ness were censored extremely quickly whilst blood and gore is left to be viewed.

You can legally kill somebody in America when you're seventeen, you can join hte army then, you can buy a gun at eighteen, but you can't have a sip of booze until you're 21, does this seem strange to you? Is it a typically American thing or a typically Republican thing, help me please.

BTW no anti Britain and Europe posts this time, I have asked an innocent question - keep it mature.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Alcohol is dangerous! What kids that age need is guns, lots and lots of guns!

Seriously, there are SO many things about that country that I don't agree with nothing surprises me anymore.
Yes. We all fucking hate it, but our country is run by uptight crusty old guys who will do anything for votes, and fundamentalist christian groups and other such people provide them.
Oh Shit!
ahhh british alcoholism on real beer. when i go to america i will be a drinking god!
I also find this bizarre oh well land of the free. (Sorry couldn't resist.)
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Well you have to remind yourself it's a big country, they're not all "uptight".

However I agree there's some seriously disturbed "puritan" individuals, like the judge/jury in this case:

Quote by freddaahh
I saw on the news a mother getting arrested and given 2 1/2 years prison sentence (originally 8 years) for giving thirty 16 year olds a crate of budweiser at a birthday party; needless to say, somebody called the fuzz and soon attack dogs were chasing sober boys through the woods because they tasted some weak beer.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by freddaahh
giving thirty 16 year olds a crate of budweiser at a birthday party; needless to say, somebody called the fuzz and soon attack dogs were chasing sober boys through the woods because they tasted some weak beer.

You, sir, need to revoke your manliness. You won't be needing it.
budweiser is almost as much piss beer as fosters or carling, Budvar on the other hand is hXc.
America is pretty much made up of A) the super-conservative moral police who condemn everything that isn't Christian, B) the liberals who condemn everything the conservatives do as a violation of our rights, and C) the people who are too lazy to inform themselves and take a position on the issues that groups A and B are arguing about.

Basically, groups A and B are too hardheaded and proud to back down on anything and never give respect to the other side's views, and group C doesn't do anything, so nothing ever really gets done.
Quote by Scourge441
America is pretty much made up of A) the super-conservative moral police who condemn everything that isn't Christian, B) the liberals who condemn everything the conservatives do as a violation of our rights, and C) the people who are too lazy to inform themselves and take a position on the issues that groups A and B are arguing about.

Basically, groups A and B are too hardheaded and proud to back down on anything and never give respect to the other side's views, and group C doesn't do anything, so nothing ever really gets done.

Glad to see my perception of the US is somewhat correct.

I don't know which group is worse.

But seeing as Im a liberal, I'll just condemn the conservatives
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
In most other civilized countries three kids don't get jailed (or a death sentence!) for listening to Metallica.

I agree with your views, and I don't blame all Americans for things like this. But as long as people's rights are violated, justice is blind and corruption is accepted in the government I will not be able to say that I don't dislike the nation you live in. Especially when it's so full of hypocritical nationalists who preach of how great their "land of the free" is as people on the other side of the world dies by "your" dictation.

It's nothing personal, it's just a difference of opinion.
The drinking age doesn't really mean anything anymore. Once you turn 18 and go to college you can pretty much drink all you want.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Scourge441

It used to be group C was was the 'potheads' but you'd be suprised how many in groups A and B smoke it too. It's just been over the last like 35 or so years, but group C has came out of the shadows trying to get marijuana laws reformed. It's not going to be easy but sooner or later people are going to realize how dumb it is to have that schedule 1, and reform it to two.. That's when the self-realization takes place.

I mean it's not all about marijuana, It's just group C has recently woke up from a weed nap and they're back in action. Now if people would not harass or label group C there wouldn't be this two sided battle constantly.

All american politicians worry about is trying to get as many of their 'buddies' into some sort of power, so doing what they want is a hell of lot easier.

I still think the government in America is more ****ed up than any place in the world. We aren't as poor as some countries, but there are still a lot of poor people in this country. Even a lot of middle class people will opt not to go to the doctor because they don't have insurance, or they can't afford it. I believe Canada has a very good medical plan for all citizens.. (help me out here you damn Canadians). Why is it that we still pay thousands every year in taxes and receive nothing but a small refund and run the risk of an audit? You make the smallest mistake and they will rape you with your damn receipts.

Anther thing about America that went completely out of hand was freedom of religion. It's was a great idea at the time and i assume the creators never saw what is happening today. Every religion thinks it's superior to everyone else, that just because they believe this, everyone should respect every aspect of their religion. Just like the christians slamming anti-gay protest signs down peoples throats. As a christian, I'm sad to say I'm a part of this group, but I don't partake in their foolish actions. I understand that EVERYONE has a freedom of religion, but not too many christians do. They think that if someone does something different they don't like they can shove the bible in their face like it's a gun. It's not a damn gun, it's a book of parables and confusion, it was wrote that way so only the un-selfish and understanding people in the world would understand it's true meaning. If we have a right to go to whatever church we want, study whatever religion, then no one should object to that. We have a freedom to petition, but to petition freedom of religion is breaking those rights. You cannot protest another persons views because their different then yours. That's why it's called freedom of religion mother****ers. Nothing you can say or do will break their bond with whatever they believe in. I mean we CAN petition whatever we want, but can we actually petition against another amendment? Is that even legal? That's why i say the U.S. Government and it's constitution need to be changed, fixed whatever it takes to make things equal for EVERYONE. Eliminate the electoral college, it's total ****. We vote.. but really it has no effect on who they chose to be OUR president.
Last edited by Derek <3's You! at Aug 13, 2007,
About the whole alchohal thing, that is a state run thing, it is not controled by our central government. Some states have different drinking ages, but I'm pretty sure all the usual blue states have the age at 21 so I think you can rule out the fact it is just republicans. But, about the mother getting 2 1/2 years in prison, that was wrong. Sometimes our country tries to make examples out of people, and it is really stupid.

And about the film you watched, does censoring sexual conduct and not violence make it any less free?

And, don't think it is just all Republicans doing these things in the country, because before they came into power, only Democrats really made social laws. And, all these laws were set into place before the 00's.

And, you can't legally kill some one in the US unless it is in self defense.

I admit, our country has changed alot since the 90's,
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by freddaahh
I saw on the news a mother getting arrested and given 2 1/2 years prison sentence (originally 8 years) for giving thirty 16 year olds a crate of budweiser at a birthday party; needless to say, somebody called the fuzz and soon attack dogs were chasing sober boys through the woods because they tasted some weak beer.

Thats just shocking

...She should have charged per bottle and made a killing!
And, don't believe the stereo types you people watch on TV over there. We Americans don't nearly as much stereo type you guys. If we believed everything we read in books and watch on TV about UKers, we would have labeled you all as tea-drinking violent murders and conspirers. But, have you ever been accused of that? No, so don't stereotype us by the bull crap you see on TV.
Plus, your countries over there are just making our problems seem so bad so that the public is blinded from there own countries problems.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
About the whole alchohal thing, that is a state run thing, it is not controled by our central government. Some states have different drinking ages, but I'm pretty sure all the usual blue states have the age at 21 so I think you can rule out the fact it is just republicans.
It is up to states, but if they lower it below 21 then they lose federal funding for highways, etc.
Oh Shit!
Quote by catchy phrase
It is up to states, but if they lower it below 21 then they lose federal funding for highways, etc.

That is because of drunk driving, so it does make sense.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Stupid people who died because of them not thinking caused these things in the US. BOO HOO you died in a car crash because you drank a little too much one night. Thats your problem, not the governments. This, in America is the age of the excuse. Everyone has one, but they never man up and except responsibility. So they force change in government though lobbying. Its like the reason we outlawed weed. Texans were tired of Mexicans, associated Mexican violence to weed, smeared anti-weed campaigns, denied science, and finally got it to be outlawed. Mexicans were found smoking it and deported. Win for Texas and states around that area in the 1930's.

Stupid people ruining fun because they cannot except responsibility for their own actions.
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
Stupid people who died because of them not thinking caused these things in the US. BOO HOO you died in a car crash because you drank a little too much one night. Thats your problem, not the governments. This, in America is the age of the excuse. Everyone has one, but they never man up and except responsibility. So they force change in government though lobbying. Its like the reason we outlawed weed. Texans were tired of Mexicans, associated Mexican violence to weed, smeared anti-weed campaigns, denied science, and finally got it to be outlawed. Mexicans were found smoking it and deported. Win for Texas and states around that area in the 1930's.

Stupid people ruining fun because they cannot except responsibility for their own actions.

But, I fail to see why the legalisation of Marijuana is so important and critical to the US being a good country. Isn't Marijuana illegal in other parts of the world also?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
But, I fail to see why the legalisation of Marijuana is so important and critical to the US being a good country. Isn't Marijuana illegal in other parts of the world also?

Not really, in most places it is illegal but culturally excepted. Meaning if you have a Joint on you, your not going to jail. Take this into account as well. If you go to jail for possession of pot, you cannot apply for federal finical aid for collage. BUT, if you go to jail for murder you can apply for finical aid. Our prisons are filled with pot smokers, who don't cause any real harm to anyone. Yet because of the overcrowding we are letting the rapists, child molesters, and murders free.
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
Not really, in most places it is illegal but culturally excepted. Meaning if you have a Joint on you, your not going to jail. Take this into account as well. If you go to jail for possession of pot, you cannot apply for federal finical aid for collage. BUT, if you go to jail for murder you can apply for finical aid. Our prisons are filled with pot smokers, who don't cause any real harm to anyone. Yet because of the overcrowding we are letting the rapists, child molesters, and murders free.

Seems messed up, but where is the proof? I know tons of people who have been busted for weed, and they never get thrown in jail. Only a small fine and a wack on the wrist. Here weed is culturally accepted, I mean, everyone smokes weed. The average American has smoked weed multiple times in their life, I'm nearly positive without seeing statistics.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh

True, but you also have to realize that they make in excess of $12 a day per imprisoned person. I've been to county and they charge you to sit in there, then they charge the tax payers. They throw people who smoke pot in there because its easy money, and they're usually easy targets. The substance isn't culturally accepted in the U.S. becuase they associate anyone who has that in their culture, as a criminal. it's all loop-hole money making.. If they'd get off their ass they'd realize that marijuana is one of the top ten cash crops and they could really tap into BIG TIME. They're just narrow-minded that's all.
my dad's pretty conservative, like he thinks gays shouldn't be allowed to marry and he agrees with the war in iraq and stuff, but he thinks it's stupid that people aren't allowed to smoke weed, and he thinks it's stupid that you can't drink at age 16 in your own home, so idk. he doesn't drink or smoke or anything. i don't really care how old someone is when they drink, but if you drive drunk or do something else stupid, you should get jail for at least a few years; idk how that works.
Quote by Derek <3's You!
True, but you also have to realize that they make in excess of $12 a day per imprisoned person. I've been to county and they charge you to sit in there, then they charge the tax payers. They throw people who smoke pot in there because its easy money, and they're usually easy targets. The substance isn't culturally accepted in the U.S. becuase they associate anyone who has that in their culture, as a criminal. it's all loop-hole money making.. If they'd get off their ass they'd realize that marijuana is one of the top ten cash crops and they could really tap into BIG TIME. They're just narrow-minded that's all.

True, but honestly. The government could turn it around and make more money by legalizing it. You add a tax to all pot products, and profit. Its free money the government doesn't need to do **** for. But they prefer ruining lives. People smoke pot, you will never change that. Legalize it, tax it, treat it like alcohol or tobacco. Its a win win for the government.
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
True, but honestly. The government could turn it around and make more money by legalizing it. You add a tax to all pot products, and profit. Its free money the government doesn't need to do **** for. But they prefer ruining lives. People smoke pot, you will never change that. Legalize it, tax it, treat it like alcohol or tobacco. Its a win win for the government.

That is true, the government would make more money, however the politicians would make less money. Reason being all the lobbyists whose company are opposing marijuana legalization, would be opposed to it, because then hemp would be legally available, and people will start to make things out of hemp.

That being said, for the drinking age point, many states would have the age at 18, but it's almost impossible since many federal funds for the state would be cut. That is also true if marijuana is legalized. It's pretty much "delete" button for the 10th amendment.

However, I think nevada had a 46 percent vote for yes on the legalization of marijuana. I don't have any source for it though . I guess all we can do is wait til the old people die.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by KFKing
That is true, the government would make more money, however the politicians would make less money. Reason being all the lobbyists whose company are opposing marijuana legalization, would be opposed to it, because then hemp would be legally available, and people will start to make things out of hemp.

That being said, for the drinking age point, many states would have the age at 18, but it's almost impossible since many federal funds for the state would be cut. That is also true if marijuana is legalized. It's pretty much "delete" button for the 10th amendment.

However, I think nevada had a 46 percent vote for yes on the legalization of marijuana. I don't have any source for it though . I guess all we can do is wait til the old people die.

Hemp isn't illegal. Canabis is. There are many hemp related products around today. Infact, you can go to your craft store and buy tons of hemp rope. You can go to your pharmacy and get hemp lotion. The whole "hemp is illegal" thing is just a myth.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Hemp isn't illegal. Canabis is. There are many hemp related products around today. Infact, you can go to your craft store and buy tons of hemp rope. You can go to your pharmacy and get hemp lotion. The whole "hemp is illegal" thing is just a myth.

Hmm, that's sorta good news, since that means in the future, that means the laws will have a good chance to be changed.

But it is also sort of bad news, because, while a bad reason that was the only reason I could think of for marijuana being illegal. It just seems like common sense to make it legal for a certain age.

That's the last time I listen to people on forums without checking my sources
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by CORT noob

And about the film you watched, does censoring sexual conduct and not violence make it any less free?

I don't think it makes it any less free, I just find it interesting how the current American attitude is much more pro violence and anti sex - the exact opposite to how it works in Europe.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too