I just unstrung all the strings from my guitar (ibanez gax75), but when I took off the last string, my bridge fell off. I have two screws on the guitar that attach to both sides of the bridge, and without thinking I wound one side a little (a few turns), hoping it would stop the bridge from falling off. Did this seriously change the height of the bridge, affecting the action? I hope not.

I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I'm not sure if the bridge is ok now.
Yeah, you lowered your action. The force of the strings holds the bridge on, not the studs. Just put the new strings on and then raise your action back to where it was.

For future reference, it's easiest if you change your strings one at a time.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yeah, you lowered your action. The force of the strings holds the bridge on, not the studs. Just put the new strings on and then raise your action back to where it was.

For future reference, it's easiest if you change your strings one at a time.

Thanks for replying. I wanted to clean my fretboard for the first time, so I took off all the strings. I usually don't for a normal change.

So when I put the strings back on, I'd be able to tell what the original action was? Do I just adjust the bridge back to how I remember the action felt to be?
^ Exactly. Action is a preference thing anyway. I'm sure your fingers will remember how the strings felt.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks a lot for the help. I was a bit scared at first, but hopefully I'll be able to get my baby working right again. I'll try your suggestion.
I have one other question. The guitar is re-stringed, and it seems mostly OK. The problem is I think the intonation is a bit screwed up. I don't think it's anything major, but when I checked the open strings compared to the 12th fret notes, my tuner showed the strings are all a bit sharp. To my ears it doesn't sound too bad though.

Is intonation a serious problem that I should fix ASAP? What I mean is, is it OK to keep playing even though the intonation is bad? I can't change it myself, and I can't get to a guitar store right away.

Also, I learned the bridge on the Ibanez GAX75 is a shortstop II bridge (does that mean it's floating?), I don't know if that makes a difference.