First off, let me state this question is mainly about keyboards, but I figured this would be the right place to put it.

If I want to add some tube warmth, OD, dist, etc to the not-so-realistic guitar/organ/EP/etc samples on most keyboard today, would it be more important to get a tube preamp, or a tube power amp? Or both?

For example, say I have a simple clean electric guitar patch. If I play it through a SS keyboard amp, it sounds, who would have though, solid state. Now if I was to route my AUX outs into say a Recto recording preamp, then out to my keyboard amps SS power amp, would it sound like a tube recto? Or would it sound like a SS recto? Would it even sound like a recto at all?

Thanks.
Quote by aseme
Power-amp: It's basically just supplying power to your speakers

Pre-amp: It's shaping your tone. EQ.

I am well aware what a power and pre-amp are for, my question is which is vital to the warmth and other attributes that are associated to tube amps.

Lachowsky, is there one that is more important than the other? I can't afford both at one time and would like to get the one that would do the best job by itself first.
Hmmm.

Any other opinions? I want to be sure of this before I use my hard earned cash -_-
Well you see aseme does have a point although you need a pre amp, you cant run really run a power amp with out a pre amp

"For example, say I have a simple clean electric guitar patch. If I play it through a SS keyboard amp, it sounds, who would have though, solid state. Now if I was to route my AUX outs into say a Recto recording preamp, then out to my keyboard amps SS power amp, would it sound like a tube recto? Or would it sound like a SS recto? Would it even sound like a recto at all? "

Thats not really how it works, you have your guitar signal --> Pre amp --> power amp -->speaker cabnet
Last edited by lachowsky at Aug 13, 2007,
Guitars need outboard pre-amps, keyboards don't. I have all my tone shaping onboard, and can run out directly into a poweramp if that is all I need to get the tube amp sound.

EDIT: Perhaps I'm missing something here, but isn't that exactly how I said it works...?

Keyboard out -> recto preamp -> SS keyboard poweramp -> whatever speakers/monitors/cabs I have hooked to the power amp

Is that correct, or do I have something wrong?
The tube amp sound comes from the tubes in the entire circuit. They make hybrid amps with a tube in the preamp, or a SS preamp with a tube power section, but neither will sound completely like a tube amp.

What's your budget? Is this for live performances, or recording?

If you want a real tubey sound, maybe look for an old tube driven bass amp that you can plug into and crank up. On a smaller scale, a tube driven preamp that you might use for recording might get you close to what you're looking for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ya, thats right, but if you want a true tube tone you could go with both tube pre and power amps
This will be for recording, gigging, jamming, the whole picture. My budget is about $1,500 for one or both. I was looking at the Mesa Recto Preamp, and the Carvin TS100 power amp I think it's called. I was also looking at the Randall Rm4, but it would be a bit pricey to get the chassis and the modules. Any suggestions?
I don't know enough about keyboard amplification to confidently suggest a way for you to spend $1500. Maybe make a couple calls, hit a couple different store, and tell them what kind of sounds you're after. You definitely want multiple opinions. I'm guessing they'll be a wide variety of them.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
After a bit of reading around, I have decided on the Randall RM4 for the preamp. Is there any other tube preamp that has the range of sounds the Randall does? I need more or less everything from the cleanest, warmest, cleans to almost Dimebag like distortion =\. Not sure on the poweramp, I'll look into that in a bit. The Randall poweramp with the MIDI switching 6l6/el34s is mighty tempting, but I can't afford it at the time being.

Thanks a bunch!