I posted about something similar to this but didnt really get an answer to this particular question..what do the roman numerals mean above certain scales when looking at keys?..are those things called "modes"? and what do the roman numerals have in common with other numerals from other keys?
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
im not quite sure what exactly you're talking about but I do know that in music roman rumerals a lot of times represent which degree of the scale a chord is. (Im not sure if thats the right wording). But for example, a IV chord would be the fourth of the scale, and would probably also be diatonic. So the IV of a C scale would be a FMaj7 i think. this is really all i can tell you. i hope that answers your question.

Edit: And im pretty sure the numerals arent referring to modes.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
roman is the standard way of showing what tonality certain chords are in a key,,,,,,take say,,,a B Major Chord in C Major,,,,that would be a V/iii,,,,or a C# diminished 7 in G Major,,,that would be a vii dim7/V,,,,,,
modes really dont have anything to do with roman,,,roman is used almost purely as a way to analyze music,,,,and when music is modal,,,the roman that would make up the phrase really does not matter, since modal harmony does not follow standard functional harmony with in keys.
^ listen to that guy, not me
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...