Go for the Muff. It's an overall more versatile pedal and you'll get a much better tone out of it then the Guv'nor.
If I've said it once, I'll say it again; don't buy a bloody guitar pedal for bass! There's no way around it; you lose your bottom end. There are dozens and dozens of pedals, as shown in that link, that give a great overdrive/fuzz sound and preserve your bottom end so you don't fall out of the mix as soon as you step on the pedal. Stop the madness!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fitz, you should just have an automatic entry that goes in evertime someone starts a distortion pedal thread
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by rob_bass_man
already got a boss bass overdrive, jus want something better

By "better" do you mean heavier? The Muff is pretty damn fuzzy.

If you want fuzz, I'd go for a ZVex Wooley Mammoth or Colorsound Tone Bender.

If not, the Fulltone Bass Driver seems pretty sweet, and thefitz endorses it.
Quote by bazz_aaron
Fitz, you should just have an automatic entry that goes in evertime someone starts a distortion pedal thread

If I could I'd sticky a one-post thread giving the link and cyanide pills for anyone whose considering a guitar pedal!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
if you can get an original guv'nor, I'd kill you for it.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by thefitz
If I could I'd sticky a one-post thread giving the link and cyanide pills for anyone whose considering a guitar pedal!

*cough* hughes and kettner warp factor *cough*
listen to thefitz, i have a muff too, in band practice i get lost in the mix with it
Quote by mountaindew88
if you can get an original guv'nor, I'd kill you for it.

someone got hold of a brand new one believe or not, he were sellin it on ebay, but some **** went n bought it :|
Quote by thefitz
If I've said it once, I'll say it again; don't buy a bloody guitar pedal for bass! There's no way around it; you lose your bottom end. There are dozens and dozens of pedals, as shown in that link, that give a great overdrive/fuzz sound and preserve your bottom end so you don't fall out of the mix as soon as you step on the pedal. Stop the madness!

That is not true. I use a Guv'nor and unless we have different definitions of "low end" the guv'nor doesn't affect the "low end" of my bass. Of course, I don't use my guvnor to make rediculous blood curduling distorted tone, but I use it to create a nice warm overdrive, no loss of bottom end
Quote by StoopidRudeboy
Ohhhhh, you still ruined it for me now...... never mind. Your cool ill let it go.

Hmm...

closest thing I ever got to a compliment
^ Yeah, I'll admit that my definition of low-end is that of my Bflat string ringing clearly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
^ Yeah, I'll admit that my definition of low-end is that of my Bflat string ringing clearly.

Now, there might be a problem with that. I don't have a Bflat string, so I couldn't tell ya.
Quote by StoopidRudeboy
Ohhhhh, you still ruined it for me now...... never mind. Your cool ill let it go.

Hmm...

closest thing I ever got to a compliment
Quote by rob_bass_man
someone got hold of a brand new one believe or not, he were sellin it on ebay, but some **** went n bought it :|

the new ones aren't as good as the originals. you can tell an original it looks completely different
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
the new ones aren't as good as the originals. you can tell an original it looks completely different

innit, size matters lol

wonder where that guy got that original one in new condition from
Quote by thefitz

I disagree with this. You can buy whatever pedal you find works for you, whether its a guitar pedal or bass. Its about the sound the pedal gives towards your personal preference. I own a Big Muff Pi, and it is quite possibly my favorite little box of fuzz or distortion I've ever played. For me, I use my muff when I need to fill up more space, not "fall out of the mix". It sounds really clear, and although it may not get WAYYY way down to those bass frequencies, my B string is clear as ever.

I may lose a little bottom end, but I get the tone and sound I always wanted from a distortion pedal. I live by my Big Muff Pi (I'm tempted to abbreviate it "muff", but i've gotten plenty of comments on that before ).

To the threadstarter, if you can, go to a guitar shop and play around with the pedals. Its about the sound you want in your head. If you can explain the sound you're looking for, it would help us. But buying pedals is really a personal preference thing. They all sound a little bit different, and everyone likes them for different reasons.

The one thing about pedals that bugs me is the bypass. When shopping for pedals, make sure to find one with true or passive bypass. They mean the same thing. Basically, you don't want your sound to change when the pedal is off. Both the Big Muff and Guv'nor are true bypass pedals.

Good luck with the search. The best thing to do is fiddle around and try stuff out to see what fits. Pedals are like the jewelry of guitar playing. You've gotta shop around to see what you like.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
^ I thought the Russian Big Muff (the one that's better for bass because apparently the parts are of lower quality and are muddier) wasn't true bypass?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
^ I thought the Russian Big Muff (the one that's better for bass because apparently the parts are of lower quality and are muddier) wasn't true bypass?

i think the newer versions of the russian model are now made with true bypass, the older ones arent
^I still don't think they are made with true bypass, or adapter features for that matter. You need a 9V battery to get them to work.

I have a regular muff, and was talking about that. I didn't assume the threadstarter wanted a Russian big muff. He didn't mention it. Regular muff's have true bypass.

As far as which one is better, again, its personal preference. I loved the sound of the regular one. Lower quality parts arn't my thing, or anybody's thing for that matter. It is just as good as the regular one for bass, the tone is just a little bit darker.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
If you can run your rig with two channels, get the muff, but if it's just one it'll probably get lost.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.