so im overhauling my squier, replacing the neck, the trem, and the electronics. i would like to use the parts i am replacing to build a guitar.

Neck:
im looking on ebay for a neck, rosewood fingerboard. (62 reissue or a standard strat neck MIM)

Trem:
guitarfetish.com, wilkinson vintage tremolo with pop in arm

Electronics:
guitarfetish.com for the pickguard and the pots and switches, my local guitar shop for either fender 57/62 pups or tex-mex

im looking for feedback on this, like which neck is better, or is it a matter of preference? also, which pickups, im looking for versatality.

is there a better part out there im missing? if so let me know.

also tell me your opinion on the project.

thanks in advance
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
If you're going to replace all that you might as well just buy a MIM Strat. They can be had for ~$400 new and probably $250 used if you hunt around. You're going to pay at a bare minimum $100 for a used MIM neck and likely a little more unless you get lucky. Even then I might worry about a cheap "great deal" neck. The Wilkinson bridge costs about $60 too and then the pups on top of that. It sounds like if you just bought another you'd have two guitars for the same cost.

Edit - Regarding the pickups, I have Tex-Mex ones and they sound pretty good. They're alnico V's and they've got a little bit to them, especially the bridge, and definitely have a Strat sound. Nice quack in 2/4 as well. I've only tried the 57/62 ones once and they were more mellow to my ear but also a very nice sound. Just different. I will say that my Tex-Mex pups can produce some really gritty overdriven sounds too in addition to their nice clean tones.
Last edited by Comfortablylomb at Aug 13, 2007,
man I'm doing the same thing to my old strat knock off. If I were you I'd order the eden paddle neck. it cost me 60 can shipped and is an amazing neck.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H