i'm looking out for a new amp cos my old one is in semi death mode. i have around £250 to spend. i'd like to be able to be heard in a band context. if its loud enough for that, its fine. i dont need mega volume, just enough to be heard over drums and bass and piano. i'll always be mic'ed for gigs.

what do i want from it? cleans cleans cleans. i often have to use different amps, so i'm happy to continue using my rats to get dirty sounds, though itd be great to get something thatd respond well to my rat (which i tend to use with the gain pretty low, around 9 o'clock, but the volume set to boost). how do i want my cleans to sound? basically, i want something thats chiming on little picked patterns on the upper strings, but which on more chordal bits has plenty of midrange power. i dont like a really pronounced bassiness, though a bit of chunkiness is always nice, but the important thing is for the bass to not be horrible and flabby. i also could really do with an effects loop. effects are an important thing for me.

what do i play with it? alt.rock with an element of alt.country. or something like that. like okkervil river meets the pixies or something. thats not a good description. we have a pianist, so on most songs my role is largely adding lots of texture and melodical intrigue on quiet bits and adding big ****off noise on loud bits.

what am i playing through it? an '81 usa fender bullet. it has single coils, which are pretty low output, though i modified the switching so i often run them in series for a bit of chunkiness.

basically, suggestions would be nice. i'm pretty open. ebay is always a possibility, though it'd need to be current production models i think, as i want to try before i buy, yknow? as i said, my budget is around £250, though i could maybe stretch to £300. i cant go above that easily. i'm a student. i'm terminally broke.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
id have to say fender hot rod deluxe. i think its like 500$ in the states (i dont know any of the exchange rates). anyways, its fender, which means that its insanely bright, so you'll definetly cut through the mix and its a tube amp, which is always good. also has an effects loop on the main control pannel, which is oooo so convenient when you need a noise suppressor or something of that nature in there
Quote by Nirvana-Man
hmmm.... not much in that category. Cubes are real good though

really? i've seen a few things around that range that are much better than cubes... i just want to know more.

id have to say fender hot rod deluxe. i think its like 500$ in the states (i dont know any of the exchange rates). anyways, its fender, which means that its insanely bright, so you'll definetly cut through the mix and its a tube amp, which is always good. also has an effects loop on the main control pannel, which is oooo so convenient when you need a noise suppressor or something of that nature in there

it costs 469 over here. a straight currency conversion doesnt work, because your money just generally goes further than ours. sure, its fun when i go to the states, but it means that fender things cost only a little less in pounds than then do in dollars. its the same for quite a few brands...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.