This is a rant about the sheer number of guitars that some manufacturers are churning out at the moment.

I'm in the process of buying a new acoustic, and of course I've tried a few takamines. Well. I tried about 5, and noted the names of them all so I wouldn't play the ones I didn't like again. Then I went to another shop, where they had about 10. Not a SINGLE ONE was the same as in the shop before. I thought, ah well, just lucky.

So I proceed to takamines website etc to have a look. No joke they must have 55/60 guitars out there on sale.

Taylor have gone down this road a little bit as well, but they are quality instruments and you really can tell a difference between each one.

My problem with Takamine is that they build a guitar called the T449 or something, then put different coloured tuners in it, make it £10 more expensive, and call it the T449AF.

Instead of focusing on range takamine, why don't you do a 10 guitar range, and spend 5 times the effort on each one?

I'm not buying a takamine for the fact that I can't bloody remember which ones I like.

Rant over.

Edit: Just out of curiousity and having nothing better to do, I counted the guitars for sale on the takamine website. My estimate was wrong. NOT including 12 strings, acoustic basses or mini's;

There are 158 guitars in the current range.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Aug 13, 2007,
wow thats pretty true i guess
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
I like it how Martin, Gibson, and Taylor keep it simple. Low end..Mid...High End.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
This is a rant about the sheer number of guitars that some manufacturers are churning out at the moment.

i feel the same way about ibanez
Here is the way it works guys. All the companies have about 4 to 6 guitars. Then they change the materials it's buit with for their different models. As far as back and sides go most companies have 6 or 7 laminated looks that they can run with, then you add the top. For top material you have spruce, engleman, cedar, and laminate. That makes a good 84 models based on shape, bracing and materials and that is before they start making their solid wood guitars and before they start giving it a new name because it's got better inlays or something.

Really they are trying to give you options and they want to make things easier for you by giving the guitar a whole new model number when they change from rosewood laminate to Mahogany laminat because it cuts down on cofusion.

It's not that they are just kicking out crap guitars because they can't be bothered to test them and see if they sound good. At the end of the day they are really make 4 different guitars.
Not taking any online orders.
Yes, if the above was true then I'd agree with you.

In fact it is true. But they don't make it easier and they aren't giving you sensible options, they're just giving you options because they can. You could play 10 guitars and they would all sound exactly the same, just because of minor differences like you pointed out.

158?
This all reminds me of Harley Davidson motorcycles. By combining a fairly limited number of parts they create a sheer endless range of models which they then give names like FXSTC or FLHTCU. "Only 200 were made and this is the only one in this country" you can hear the Harley brat about his bike that in reality is just as run of the mill as any Honda.
Never mind. Harley owners generally are very satisfied customers, just like Takamine players, so don't let it put you off.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Except I don't really like any takamine guitars lol!

Well. Neither do I really like Harley Davidsons, to be honest, but that is mainly because they don't meet certain objective performance standards. You'll never hear a Harley owner say that he bought that bike because it was the best he could get for his budget. He bought one because he worships them.
Takamine guitars, on the other hand, do what they're supposed to do and even more. They're a very rational choice for a professional player on a budget, maybe even the best.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Aug 16, 2007,
Quote by Marcel Veltman
...They're a very rational choice for a professional player on a budget, maybe even the best.

I agree. Id rate takamine second only to alvarez for making great guitars across the board in all price ranges and their entry level guitars are possibly the best for the money you pay.
Quote by samick007
i feel the same way about ibanez

ibanez doesnt have that many guitars. they have their low mid and high ends and signatures and then the artcores really. just a few different variants in each section, mainly just aesthetics
Quote by Chad48309
*Ahem* biased much?

Why exactly am I biased? Not liking a guitar isn't having a bias, it's having an opinion. If I was the owner of fender then yes I might be biased.

And I don't even think they're very good guitars at all, I don't see what the fuss is about. I'd sooner have loads of guitars than go for a takamine.
I don't particularly care for takamine anymore. I bought one around 1998 during the phase where all country musicians were playing them. paid $400 USD. by 2002 the tuning pegs were pulling out of the headstock from the string tension. the EQ built into the guitar didn't do a damn thing. The unplugged tone wouldn't match a First Act guitar from WalMart, and it didn't improve when it was plugged into a Fender Twin.

Pure crap, at least the laminated Martins have a good sound, warantee, and of course the logo. /rant

TS, have you checked out Blue Ridge guitars from Saga? They are in the same price range as Takamine, solid tops on most, great sound, and stunning inlay. Play before you buy, though; I played about 15 and only one had a sound that I thought matched the price of the instrument. Most were weak on the bass. Good volume, treble, and mids, but above $500 and I want to hear professional quality.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break