Hey people.

Been playing now for about 2 years on and off, only got deadly serious about 2 months ago when i saw a satch video on youtube while randomly browsing the net.

Anyway i have been trying to improve my playing dramatically, and i seem to have hit a brick wall regarding my playing. I had a look at my playing in general and went over the basics and realised that all this time i had been playing while holding the pick in a really tarded way.

I'm holding it the correct way now but it is the most awkward thing i have come accross and i end up hitting wrong strings and all sorts.

Are there any exercises that will help? Or is it time for hardcore 1234 up the neck on each string?

Oh and also there is this one song i want to learn that i'm having trouble with pinch harmonics. Any tips? I have watched tons of instructional videos and such. I'm guessing once i fully correct my picking tech it will be easier?

Sorry for the essay.

Cheers.
The Attitude Song by Steve Vai will greatly help your pinch harmonics, and it is not too hard. Look up the tab, and if you need help or have any questions, PM me
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
just go up and down the strings in regular picking, then alternate picking. or get lessons.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Have you been playing for 2 months straight since that moment? If so, time to take a week/two week break. You won't forget anything, and when you get back to playing you will be better as you've been refreshed.

Anyway, the "proper" way to hold the pick is to have your fingers curled up, with the thumb and index finger holding the pick, with the tip of it pointing down toward the floor.

Your thumb should constantly be as straight as the neck, never at an angle unless strumming chords. As a whole your picking will be much cleaner.

Good video demonstrating this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DF2YiSuByo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
i changed the way i held my pick after about 7 months (from having first finfger straight-ish to curling it up under the pick), this helped my pinch harmonics as it happens. Killswitch Engage - This fire burns is a good song for harmonics (i have a crappy vid of me doing it on my youtube) as there is a big one nearly every few bars.

some hardcore 1234 wouldnt hurt though
The Attitude Song? Sweet. I always wanted to try a Vai song. Thanks for that.

A week or too without guitar?! Blasphemy! lol Kidding. Would that really help?

Yeah i managed to end up holding the pick with two fingers and a thumb, i don't quite know what that was about. lol.

Oh just listened to that Killswitch song, i'm gonna try it. Thanks dude.

Oh and harcore 1234 it is.

Thanks you guys.

Keep them coming if there is anything else.

Cheers.
The main riff of The Attitude Song is pinch harmonics on the low E if you didn't know. Most people think high screaming harmonics when they think pinch harmonics, but knowing how to do them on the low strings helps as well. For the Love of God has some great pinch harmonics as well!
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2