So I was jamming with the band, and when we were wrapping up I still had my bass on its strap and over my shoulder. I bent down to pick up a dropped pick, and the strap came off the button, the headstock smashed into the ground and completely broke off.

It was a crappy bass to start with, but I ahd just replaced the pickups, pots, wiring and strings very recently and it was actually sounding pretty good. The neck was bowed too much and the truss nut was stripped, but it wasn't too bad.

anyways, I need a new neck. And I currently don't have any money immediately available. I've got some in a savings account that I'm not yet allowed to use--which brings me to this:

-I would like a J bass neck rather than a P bass one, but both would work.
-Preferably one of the angled headstock kinds of neck, as I dont rly like Fender headstocks (but at this point I'll take anything)
-CHEAP--if I want to convince paretnts to let me have my $$, it has to be RLY RLY cheap.

So. Most guitar supply websites are either too expensive (Warmoth) or have a bad selection of bass necks. If I get a neck w/o tuner holes drilled, I can reuse my old ones (they're smaller than fender tuners are) and save money. I don't really trust those eBay people selling necks for $20 a piece, so where can I go to get a good, cheap neck?
Well, a 20$ neck, even though it sounds VERY cheap, can be good for a temporary backup until you have the money for a better one.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
go to rondomusic.com they have some very cheap stuff which is pretty good actualy, i have bought stuff from there before and its good quality
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
OK so the SX fretted bass neck in Rosewood looks perfect at $40. But, it has holes predrilled for 1/2" tuners, but the tuners I have are 3/8" ones. New tuners, at least on allparts and WD Music, are quite expensive. So is there a way to do something to the headstock and make 3/8" tuners work?
alright guys....heres the idea.

would i be able to use the headphone jack and plug a cab into a combo, and have it work? im trying to think of ways to make it easier to upgrade, thats the best i thought of.
futball season and football season.
Quote by its irrelevant
OK so the SX fretted bass neck in Rosewood looks perfect at $40. But, it has holes predrilled for 1/2" tuners, but the tuners I have are 3/8" ones. New tuners, at least on allparts and WD Music, are quite expensive. So is there a way to do something to the headstock and make 3/8" tuners work?

I'm not a mechanical guy, so I'm not sure, but it would make sense that there's something you could put in between the hole and the tuners. You know, something you could put around the tuners to make them wider or something you could put in the holes to make them narrower. Like a rubber stopper type thing.

I don't know, but I believe you might be able to find something like that.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by its irrelevant

I had the same problem when I upgraded my tuners...they came in 1/2" when my bass's holes are drilled to 3/4". What I did: hollow out a piece of 3/4" dowel to an inner diameter of 1/2" and superglue the newly made spacer into each hole. The tuners fit perfectly after that.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
you could probably order a neck with 3/8" holes. don't try to improvise. i recommend you buy another cheap bass. between that and whats left of your old bass, you might make a playable instrument.
I tryed to convince my parents to let me buy a new bass a while ago, just a cheap Squier Standard Jazz or a used Mexico Jazz or something--but they wouldn't. I'll see what I can do as far as improvising, otherwise I'll find some really cheap tuners somwhere.
Tell your parents to start supporting you more in your musical career. But in all seriousness I say you just buy a new Bass. Buy like a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz. It is pretty fantastic.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Well I would absolutely love to get a new bass, but I think i could use a bass amp first lol.
afaik my parents dont consider me a musician, they more consider me a person with a guitar (they don't kno the difference i dont think). So as far as they're concerned its a very expensive toy.

anyways, on to the neck. I would have to get this one: http://www.rondomusic.net/spbneck.html

The problem is tht altho my tuners will fit (I mismeasured), my tuners are for a 2+2 headstock not a 4-inline headstock. Also since I am extremely short on cash, I'd like to reuse my strings, and they're cut for a 2+2 headstock (so the D and G strings wont reach the pegs on an inline headstock). So.....I need to figure out a way to make an inline headstock a 2+2. Anyone know if this would be possible?

Also, does anyone have the dimensions of the headstock on tht neck so I can try and figure something out?
Quote by MLmaster37
alright guys....heres the idea.

would i be able to use the headphone jack and plug a cab into a combo, and have it work? im trying to think of ways to make it easier to upgrade, thats the best i thought of.

lmao where the hell did this come from?