what are the differences between a MIM strat and an american strat? and are they worth the $600 price difference? is the playability on a MIM strat similar to an american? because i'm borrowing an american fat strat and i love the feel, and i was hoping to buy my own MIM standard strat in a few months.
i have a mim but i have never tried an american, but i hear american have much better quality control. don't quote me on that though.
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
basically try out a few MIM's and get whatever one feels best. you get the odd one which is almost as good as the american strats. if you pick wisely you'll thank yourself you have $600 left over and a great guitar. i personally hate the look of fender strats but i'm yet to find an american which doesn't feel great, but i've also played some mexicans which felt no different
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Since I have an MIA strat and have tested both, I'll fill you in on some of the bigger differences between the two. The neck on a MIA strat is much nicer, feels smoother, and sounds warmer than a MIM strat. The pickups are also of a higher quality in the MIA strat.
Proud owner of a Marshall JCM 800 2204 MK II

Colonel of the Megadeth Military

PM BlackicN to join/get ranking
My MIM Strat is just as good as any American Strat I have played, including a 50th Anniversary model. I looooove it so much and it is my main axe now
Quote by JMan2423
Since I have an MIA strat and have tested both, I'll fill you in on some of the bigger differences between the two. The neck on a MIA strat is much nicer, feels smoother, and sounds warmer than a MIM strat. The pickups are also of a higher quality in the MIA strat.

Pickups still suck on both. Get new pickups and either will shine.

It's definitely not worth the $600 price difference. I got a used MIM for $200 and it plays better than some of my friends' new MIA's. Get an MIM and mod it how you want. With the $600 left over, you'll be able to make it sound much better than a stock MIA.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by JMan2423

i would agree there, however if you find you don't like the neck that is replaceable as are the pick ups, however you'd then be very close to MIA prices anyway (granted you could get better pick ups than the stock MIA). try both is the best advice really, only you can judge if the $600 difference is worth it, i'd say no
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Buy a (good) MIM Strat, get a MIA neck and whatever pickups you desire. It'll cost you less and you'll end up with practically the same thing.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I might be wrong but aren't the MIM necks made in Corona, Cali just like the MIA necks? This leads me to believe that the necks are the same. but whatever. To answer ur questions TS is it worth a $600 price difference? No. but people still buy them so they still produce them. The best thing you can do is what Storm Bringer said. Test out as many MIMs as you can and you will prolly find one that sounds almost if not as good as some MIAs
Quote by Slim_bob.Billy
I might be wrong but aren't the MIM necks made in Corona, Cali just like the MIA necks? This leads me to believe that the necks are the same. but whatever. To answer ur questions TS is it worth a $600 price difference? No. but people still buy them so they still produce them. The best thing you can do is what Storm Bringer said. Test out as many MIMs as you can and you will prolly find one that sounds almost if not as good as some MIAs

I believe they are, but I also believe that they have extra things done to them after they are shipped.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star

Agreed.
Proud owner of a Marshall JCM 800 2204 MK II

Colonel of the Megadeth Military

PM BlackicN to join/get ranking
The MIA Fenders are worth every penny - people who tell you MIM strats are as good are wrong.

The differences between the two are not necessarily tangible, but they are there - the necks are much nicer, I think that might be down to the finish. The "feel" of the guitar is much better, and they sound better - obviously it's all subjective, but I have a heavily modded Squier Strat that plays better than any MIM strat I've ever come across, and I played a lot of guitars before I ended up with an MIA Tele.

Beware of people who tell you that the cheaper kit they own is "as good" as the American guitars - If the MIM's were as good as the MIA's I'd have bought a MIM, I'm no label snob like half of the UGers out there - The obvious question is, why would Fender let a budget guitar be as good as their flagship - the simple answer is, they wouldn't.
ive tried both, and theyre almost exactly the same, just made in different places. i own a 60th anniversary fat strat.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Quote by mark_wuk
The MIA Fenders are worth every penny - people who tell you MIM strats are as good are wrong.

The differences between the two are not necessarily tangible, but they are there - the necks are much nicer, I think that might be down to the finish. The "feel" of the guitar is much better, and they sound better - obviously it's all subjective, but I have a heavily modded Squier Strat that plays better than any MIM strat I've ever come across, and I played a lot of guitars before I ended up with an MIA Tele.

Beware of people who tell you that the cheaper kit they own is "as good" as the American guitars - If the MIM's were as good as the MIA's I'd have bought a MIM, I'm no label snob like half of the UGers out there - The obvious question is, why would Fender let a budget guitar be as good as their flagship - the simple answer is, they wouldn't.

You honestly want to know why the MIA guitars are 'better'? It isn't because of the sound. It's because of:

1. Better Tuners
2. Better Neck
3. Better Electronics
4. Better pickups (though not by much)

That's it. You can buy a MIM and replace all of that and make your guitar much better than a MIA for less.

The 'feel' is entirely subjective, and honestly I feel that it's all in your head that every MIA you've played has a better feel than every MIM. My MIM has a better feel than most MIAs, and even guitar pros have said that to me. I haven't even modded my MIM strat yet.

MIAs don't sound $600 better. $200 at most.
Quote by MuffinMan
Last edited by Black Star at Aug 14, 2007,
Quote by Black Star

no they don´t... stock pickups on a MIA strat are truly good, not so good on MIM though
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Black Star
You honestly want to know why the MIA guitars are 'better'? It isn't because of the sound. It's because of:

1. Better Tuners
2. Better Neck
3. Better Electronics
4. Better pickups (though not by much)

That's it. You can buy a MIM and replace all of that and make your guitar much better than a MIA for less.

The 'feel' is entirely subjective, and honestly I feel that it's all in your head that every MIA you've played has a better feel than every MIM. My MIM has a better feel than most MIAs, and even guitar pros have said that to me. I haven't even modded my MIM strat yet.

MIAs don't sound $600 better. $200 at most.

As you said it's all subjective, and we're never going to agree clearly. If you bought a MIM and spent $200 you wouldn't get an MIA quality guitar - MIM's are decent guitars for the price - I actually set out to buy a MIM, but I tried an MIA because it was the only one in the guitar store with a maple neck and I changed my mind.

All those things you list are better yes, but there are intangible things about all guitars that make the difference between mid range and decent guitars.

You also missed out:
Better finish (again subjective by I love the finish on my Tele)
Better quality control
The hard case
The time taken to set it up perfectly (mine is absolutely spot on even after being shipped across the atlantic)

All that adds to the cost.

In a blind test, I think I could pick out an MIA every time...

As for the price, you think the difference in price in the US is bad over here it's more like £350 - which with the dollar worth about as much as a chocolate coin at the moment is more like $700 but for my money, it was worth every penny.

Now taking away prehaps the 50% of Fender cusomters who would buy a cardboard box with strings on if it was MIA, there is obviously a reason why people buy MIA Fenders, me included.
Quote by samick007
what are the differences between a MIM strat and an american strat? and are they worth the $600 price difference? is the playability on a MIM strat similar to an american? because i'm borrowing an american fat strat and i love the feel, and i was hoping to buy my own MIM standard strat in a few months.

The MIA strats have a different neck, they use prettier wood, and the overal quality controll is better. They claim to have better pickups, but they are not THAT much better. Some of the new MIA strats do have some very nice trems though.

I like the neck on the MIM strats better and I don't care how pretty the wood is, especialy if the guitar has a solid finish. If you are in the market for a MIA strat for the trem then go MIA. If you are fine with an old school fender trem the Get a MIM strat, change the pickups, and take it to a luthier for a setup and fret dressing and you will have a guitar that plays and sound way better than the MIA, and you will have gotten it for about $300 less.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by mark_wuk
As you said it's all subjective, and we're never going to agree clearly. If you bought a MIM and spent $200 you wouldn't get an MIA quality guitar - MIM's are decent guitars for the price - I actually set out to buy a MIM, but I tried an MIA because it was the only one in the guitar store with a maple neck and I changed my mind.

All those things you list are better yes, but there are intangible things about all guitars that make the difference between mid range and decent guitars.

You also missed out:
Better finish (again subjective by I love the finish on my Tele)
Better quality control
The hard case
The time taken to set it up perfectly (mine is absolutely spot on even after being shipped across the atlantic)

All that adds to the cost.

In a blind test, I think I could pick out an MIA every time...

As for the price, you think the difference in price in the US is bad over here it's more like £350 - which with the dollar worth about as much as a chocolate coin at the moment is more like $700 but for my money, it was worth every penny.

Now taking away prehaps the 50% of Fender cusomters who would buy a cardboard box with strings on if it was MIA, there is obviously a reason why people buy MIA Fenders, me included.

Yes, I did leave out a few things, but I still don't feel that the MIA is worth that much more. I love the finish on my MIM. My MIM as set up perfectly when I bought it, so I can't comment on that. Many people have claimed that they could tell the difference in a blind test, only to fail it. Many MIMs are just as good as MIAs. It's just they are stricter on what gets out when it comes to MIAs. Just get one of the higher-quality MIMs and mod it, and I feel it will feel just as good.
Quote by MuffinMan