OK i have a 6505 and im not too happy with it, its just gritty and harsh unlike mesas or the like. I cant afford a mesa and love the VH clarity. I play blues to metal but do have a valvestate combo. SHould i sell the 6505 and go for the VH?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
go for it.

thanks for the lassie-faire attitude but i was hoping for some constructive feedback reguarding my prediciment.
I'd personally go for it too.
Laneys tend to be a more smoother "british" sound, kinda like a modded Marshall almost.
I've only ever played a VC50 (combo version of the VH) and it was nice. smooth, yet had lots of gain. i like a good distortion as much as the next guy, but i like mine HOT.
The laneys seem to be good for high gain sounds.
the 6505 i've heard is quite harsh and brittle and hard to EQ well.

I've heard good things about the GH100L too, might wanna look into that, thought i've never tried it personally.
Hope that helped!
what? you said you didn't like your Peavey cuz it was gritty and chunky, but liked the laney cuz it was clearer, should you trade it in for the VH. I said go for it. What else did you want? A side by side analysis predicting the possible dangers of siding with either combo? You obviously want the laney because it's got clarity and you can't afford a mesa. There. sorry i tried to give you a response when no one else has.
go for the laney... its amazingly better!
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
Quote by ozzy578
I'd personally go for it too.
Laneys tend to be a more smoother "british" sound, kinda like a modded Marshall almost.
I've only ever played a VC50 (combo version of the VH) and it was nice. smooth, yet had lots of gain. i like a good distortion as much as the next guy, but i like mine HOT.
The laneys seem to be good for high gain sounds.
the 6505 i've heard is quite harsh and brittle and hard to EQ well.

I've heard good things about the GH100L too, might wanna look into that, thought i've never tried it personally.
Hope that helped!

cool thanks bud its a bloody nightmare eqing the 6505, the gain goes from muddy waters to black metal with no middle ground. It seems to be mid heavy.mids are good but it sounds like a transistor radio on a recording. Im just concerned the VH is really bright but not if thats a problem for death metal.
It'd all depend on what kind of guitar you're using.
like body wood, and pickups.
if you have a mahogany body, you should be fine.
if you have single coils, you'd be ****ed for metal as it is, regardless of the amp.

It can sound real good if you just roll the treble right back, and use the presence as a treble setting.
If the VH is still a tad much, and you don't use clean settings much, i think the GH100L is the drive channel of the VH...
not 100% on that though.
Quote by ozzy578
It'd all depend on what kind of guitar you're using.
like body wood, and pickups.
if you have a mahogany body, you should be fine.
if you have single coils, you'd be ****ed for metal as it is, regardless of the amp.

It can sound real good if you just roll the treble right back, and use the presence as a treble setting.
If the VH is still a tad much, and you don't use clean settings much, i think the GH100L is the drive channel of the VH...
not 100% on that though.

yeah ive considered the GH but i will use the cleans, there is a difference in the gain levels in the gh, and rolling off for cleans is a pain in the ass. Plus in British so i get em cheaper./
oh well in that case go for the VH!
i'm in Australia, so its all expensive here.
The Vh is handy, and it looks rad.
so, i'd say go for it definitaly.

Good luck mate
how do you use your 5150 though? I run mine with a tubescreamer in the efx loop and boy did it do a world of difference.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
how do you use your 5150 though? I run mine with a tubescreamer in the efx loop and boy did it do a world of difference.

i tried running an eq pedal direct but it just made more noise. because even at 5 on pregain it has a maximum amount of gain. i dont need any more gain anyhow just a better tone.
if you can borrow a tubescreamer from someone, try it out with the 5150. I honestly think it should be stated in the 5150 manual that tubescreamers are a must with this amp
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by Diamond Dave
well ive heard a gh50l and it was awesome, if that helps

Ive got the GH50l and love it, i wouldnt recomend getting the 100, the 50 is ridiculously loud, id hate to think what the 100 is like!!! The 50 is a blues machine, aswell as other sides of the spectrum (cleans and overdrive!!) If you want some sound clips let me know....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by sheumack111
Ive got the GH50l and love it, i wouldnt recomend getting the 100, the 50 is ridiculously loud, id hate to think what the 100 is like!!! The 50 is a blues machine, aswell as other sides of the spectrum (cleans and overdrive!!) If you want some sound clips let me know....

its not for volume its for that additional gain, dual reverb, dual channels etc
Quote by ElephantTalk
its not for volume its for that additional gain, dual reverb, dual channels etc

....The GH100L is one channel. It's the same as 50 apart from the wattage AFAIK.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
....The GH100L is one channel. It's the same as 50 apart from the wattage AFAIK.

im talking about the VH which is 3 channels, 2 reverbs, more gain, better clean tones
Can't say i've ever found my 5150 hard to EQ at all, if anything i find it's very much a dial and go sort of amp.
Quote by ElephantTalk
im talking about the VH which is 3 channels, 2 reverbs, more gain, better clean tones

Ah ok, might want to make that a bit clearer, I misunderstood a bit. The VH100 is a great amp!
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music