I'm trying to find a decent amp to purchase for performing mainly in small-medium venues. I have a decent budget (500-600 dollars, plus a few hundred if necessary), and need to find an amp that will last me a while as i'm currently using a really crappy one. The sound I'm playing is mostly more mellow rock (think Queen) and I don't really care too much about distortion. My friend's convinced I need something extremely expensive, but I don't really think so. I don't know that much about amps, however, so that's why I came here. Any advice? I'll gladly answer any questions that will help to narrow it down for you guys.
i got a marshall mg half stack for about $600 and despite what most people on here will tell you i like the tone i get out of it. what kind of music do you play? i can get from classic rock to metal and even some blues out of my mg
^ no mg's.

get a used tube. if you're looking for cleans fender is the way to go
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by SoLgEr
i got a marshall mg half stack for about $600 and despite what most people on here will tell you i like the tone i get out of it. what kind of music do you play? i can get from classic rock to metal and even some blues out of my mg

You sir are tonally retarded.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by SoLgEr

You like the tone because you have no experience with amps. After you listen to a lot of amps and grow an ear for tone, you will hate your MG with a passion.

Threadstarter, maybe you could give us a few more band examples, but I'm thinking a Fender Blues Jr and a Fulltone OCD overdrive will work quite well.

Or for a little more "oomph" (plus a British sound), Orange Tiny Terror. It's a little more pricey though, $650 for the just the head.

PinkEdit: ^
hahah i love these posts
i do NOT suggest a MG...i have one and i regret it...go for tube...look at Crate, Fender, Marshall ect...and if you can go for used amps, they go for half of new ones
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Thanks SoLgEr, for triggering another 50 post MG thread.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
if you can manage to save another $400 an ac30 would get you the perfect queen tone but since that's out of your range... peavey classic 30? fender blues deluxe/junior. the tiny terror would be a good buy if you happen to have a good cab lying around
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I'm definitely going to buy used if i can.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really looking for a good-sounding clean; Cream and Queen are two good examples. My band consists of guitar, piano and drums, and it's really less of a metal or punk sound and more mellow. I don't have any recordings offhand, but all the suggestions so far are great. I've heard bad things about MGs, so I'll try to avoid them, haha.
Brian May uses the Vox AC30, which is an awesome amp but probably more than you're looking to spend at $1000 new. You could look for one used, though. I think they can be had pretty regularly in the $700 range.

The Peavey Delta Blues has similar qualities for $640 brand new. Great amp. Great cleans, reverb, tremolo. The Fender Blues Deluxe is another great amp in that price range.

Ampeg makes a couple great, clean amps. If you can find a Reverberocket or a Super Jet. Also very nice.

You want a tube amp, and probably around 30W or more. No MG's!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Vox AC30, that was the amp that brian may used, i think a used one should be around $600?
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
Honestly for $600 get a Fender Blues junior (new $400, used $300) and swap out the stock speaker for a Ceklestion vintage 30 or greenback (around $100 plus labor) and maybe a few other mods. You will get a SWEET sounding, semi-custom amp that way. Great for practice, studio, small gigs (and bib gigs if you mic it)

Or get a fender deluxe reverb (or twin reverb)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-DELTA-BLUES-Electric-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ290149116314QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not necessarily that particular one, but is that type of amp a good one? I remember playing one of those before in a local music shop and it sounded really nice, but i'd like the community's thoughts on it before thinking about purchasing it.
^ they have one of those in a local store around here and i love the tone sounds amazin with my strat or my tele
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^^ Yeah, I love the Delta Blues, and the 1x15 version is the one I'd suggest.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Sorry for bumping this topic again...

I just wanted to find out some information about this amp: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Class50212/

Someone offered it to me for $315, which seems to me like a killer deal, but I just wanted to see if anyone's tried it before accepting. Obviously I would try it myself before buying it, but it'd be nice to find out if it's some crappy version or if it truly is a good deal.
Nice amp, nice cleans. Sort of a jack of all trades amp. It'll do what you're looking for, and that's really an excellent price if it's in good shape. They generally go for over $400.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.