Ok so its mathematician. Whatever.

I need help. I'm really bad at math and I need to figure out a friend of mines throwing speed. She throws a softball 84 ft and 10.25 inches (home to second base) in 1.61 seconds. I need to convert that to miles per hour.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Bleh, use metric.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
This is America (for me)! We're to cool for the metric system regardles of its superiority lol
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Wouldn't know how to do it in imperial measurements without a converter, sorry.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
well, a quick google search reveals that 1 f/s= 0.6818mph

you start with about 84.85 feet in 1.61 sec which is about 52.7 feet per second, so about 35.9mph

for any conversion just search on google and it should tell you
i think you would divide 360 by 1.61 and than multiply the distance by that number...? and than whatever distance that is just convert it to miles and that should hopefully be mph

edit: if i had a calculator i woud do it for you but too bad for you, i dont
ehh
Last edited by skaguitarist53 at Aug 13, 2007,
Velocity = distance/time.

but that only works for S.I. units (metres/second, metres, seconds). So yeah...this post was no help.

ok so i worked the speed out to be ROUGHLY 16m/s. So u gotta convert that to mph somehow

after consulting a speed converter, 15.9 meters/second = 35.567287043665 miles/hour
Last edited by paper shredder at Aug 13, 2007,
Quote by Zardokk
632.45 Mph.

that's probably a little high
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
ok so you have the given factors of distance and time.....84.85 feet and 1.61 sec, divide those 2 to get 52.7 feet per second, now you just convert that.

ok so then you are trying to go feet/sec to miles/hour. 5280 feet in a mile, 3600 seconds in an hour. 1 foot/second is equal to (1/5280)mile/(1/3600)hour. that simplifies to 3600/5200 which is approximatley equal to 0.6818.

multiply 52.7 by the conversion rate of .6818 and you get 35.93
Thanks everyone Google says 35.9 and change miles per hour, but my mom says she (being Raven, not mom) throws way harder than that. Whatever though.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
I knew taking pre calculus last year would help someone somewhere along the line at some point in time

She threw 35.93485 mph.

I took pre-calc 2 years ago and it did nothing for me lol
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*

Converting feet to miles:

5280 ft
84.84517ft

=0.016069 mi

Converting seconds to hours:

3600 s (1 hr)

=0.000447 hrs

Setting up the proportion:

0.016069 mi = x mi
0.000447 hrs 1 hr

x ~ 35.948436

OVERVIEW:
First I converted the seconds and feet into miles and hours. Then I set up a proportion, if we were using the original terms it would have been:

1.61 s = x mi
8.4851 ft 1 hr

Use cross multiplication, 1 hr x 1.61 s = 1.61s, divided by 8.4851 ft, makes x equal to approximately 35.95 miles per hour.
This answer is only approximate because i rounded off after four or five decimal places.

Hopefully it helped, I have nothing better to do so I figured I'd make it fancy for you
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Aug 13, 2007,
Bravo 6DgOflnTb. An e-cookie and cyber high-five is in order.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Quote by SimpleMan008
I knew taking pre calculus last year would help someone somewhere along the line at some point in time

She threw 35.93485 mph.

You're friend throws slow.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Quote by Supreme WarHawk
Did you hear about the constipated mathematician?

He had to work it out with a pencil!!!!!!!!!!

One day, there was a major nerd convention somewhere, and a Physicist, a chemist, and a Mathematician all want to go to it. They are all good friends, but are all broke, so they decide to share a single hotel room in one of the cheaper hotels in town.

Sometime in the middle of the night, the wiring in the hotel room begins to spark and starts a small fire. The physicist wakes up first. He sees the fire, and so somewhat groggily grabs a bucket (which I guess was just sitting around), goes to the faucet, fills the bucket, and puts the fire out. He then returns to bed.

A little while later, the wiring starts sparking again and there's another fire. This time the chemist wakes up. When he sees the fire, he examines it for a minute or two, and then measures out a precise molarity of water, fills the bucket, and then pours it on the fire, putting it out. He then returns to bed.

Soon enough, the fire starts again. The mathematician wakes up. As he sees the fire, he jumps out of bed, and quickly looks around the room. He sees both the bucket and the faucet.

He then returns to bed, satisfied that a solution exists.
Quote by LochieW
Thats it, attackofnose wins LochieW's Official Trophy of Using His Googling Skills to the Max!

Hooray!
Quote by jackson001
Bravo 6DgOflnTb. An e-cookie and cyber high-five is in order.

O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build