Page 1 of 2
"Do you know who mark is? He is sorta lanky and not to be racist but he is sort of brown." - Person talking to me.

I'm starting to hear this sort of stuff all the time and it's weird to me.

1. I didn't know it was racist to describe someone as innocently as that
2. The guy mark was actually really black, it's like somehow saying sort of brown is better than black.

So anyway my question: Do the majority of people get offended if I describe someone as black or is it just a few anal people? I used to live in the country and no one really cared so I'm unsure.
Last edited by shoted at Aug 13, 2007,
That doesn't seem offending. But it would have been less offensive if he would have said "black" instead of whatever he said.
The.
Quote by akaDan
Political correctness is a ****ing joke.

Yes.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
it makes you seem more racist if you worry about it being racist
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
I don't know why but It seems everyone has a problem with describing people. It's not racist to describe someone like that, you're not using it in a derogative sense so there is no problem with it. If someone is black there is no problem describing them as black.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by akaDan

Yup, that about wraps up all the worthwhile sentences in the world.

But I'm mixed with a million different races, so I never ever feel like I can be racist.
I say "black" "white" "Mexican guy" etc. My mother lowers her voice like, "Hey did you see that guy back there? *lowers voice and gets closer to my ear* That... black guy? What a disgusting blah blah blah blah etc."
i met a tall black guy.

OR

i met a person that is of a higher height and had a dark skin shade.

stupid people trying to care about feelings.

EDIT: how come black people can be like " get your white ass outta here!" in mainstream media but if a white guy says "shut your black ass up" on tv or a movie his career is over?
everythings racist these days. just don't worry. ur gonna get ur ass kicked at least twice for saying something "racist"
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
Well its sad really. If you're refered to as "black", who gives a ****? What's the difference between that and being called brown, yellow, orange, pink, green, blue, whatever. It's a description, not an insult. Christ, I hate people.
Quote by lounge act
Why beat around the bush. They're black not colored people! I think "colored" sounds worse. It makes it seem like they were colored by 5 year olds with crayons. Aren't white people colored too?! White is a color, besides what white people are actually white, other than Jim Gaffigan?

Politically correct, "colored pencils" should actually be called "African-American pencils."

But more to the point, are you offended when people call you white? I don't see how there's a difference between that and calling someone black.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by akaDan
Well its sad really. If you're refered to as "black", who gives a ****? What's the difference between that and being called brown, yellow, orange, pink, green, blue, whatever. It's a description, not an insult. Christ, I hate people.

Do you know very many pink, green, and blue people?
<Han> I love Hitler
if someones black therers no getting around that and therefore its fine to describe them as such >.> wtf kinda question is "is it ok to describe that black guy as black???" um well hell yeah.
Quote by Gunpowder
Politically correct, "colored pencils" should actually be called "African-American pencils."

But more to the point, are you offended when people call you white? I don't see how there's a difference between that and calling someone black.

Good sir, you've just earned yourself a quote. A meaningful one at that.
Everyone's racist to an extent.

I wish everyone would just learn to accept that. There's a difference between referring to a black person as a "black person", and a white person as simply "a person" (if you're white, that is,) and being in the KKK.
Quote by HaKattack
Do you know very many pink, green, and blue people?

Cant't say that I do. If I did, I wonder what I'd have to refer to them as? Hold on, second thought: I couldn't give a ****.
To hell with purple people!
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by akaDan

Second.

I'll call someone black, because it's the ****ing truth. It's equally as true that I'm white. People should be proud of who they are, and if they take offense to being called black, then they need to remove the twigs from their asses. I don't get why anyone would take offense to it, though, and I don't view it as a racist to call someone black.

Calling them a ****** might be considered racist, though (even though that term is used to describe the ghetto population now ).
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
For descriptive purposes, saying someone is black wouldn't be a bad thing. If you were singling them out/mocking them for being such, that's when things get bad.

But I'm from a town where we have almost every single race out there, hell, one of my best friends is Malagasi. If I were to describe him to someone who may not know who he is, I would say he's black, but on the lighter side. Nobody around here would second guess that at all.

We all throw our share of racial slanders around once in a blue moon when the timing is okay (I've been known to say the "n" word in front of my black friends, but it's always in a situation to make it funny/amusing, and they don't give a ****).

I also agree with political correctness going too far. Referring to someone as black is not a crime, but calling them a <insert derogatory word) is. Remember; someone from Jamaica or Haiti may be offended if you call them African, so what's fair there?
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by lounge act
*ahem* I'm blue

da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da ba di

or somethin like that (i couldnt resist)

In 8th grade, I had a homosexual teacher. She read us this book where some sort of wizard turned everyone in the world who had homosexual tendencies blue, with a deeper shade of blue corresponding to how "gay" someone is, to demonstrate how many people are actually gay and in the closet, and how many people have had homosexual tendencies.

lounge act, when you say you're blue...
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
people need to freaking lighten up, I'm a white guy, do i care, no? Will i call someone a n****, no, will i describe someone as black, yes.
Quote by akaDan

To an extent, yes.

People try to hard not to seem bigoted.
I find it odd that the only "insert ethnicity here-American" combination that has entered into widespread use is "African American". Technically, I'm an Asian American, or Chinese American. But most people regard me as Asian or Chinese, sans the "American" part. Not that I mind; I find the whole politically correct movement to be rather shallow and pedantic

Which brings me to another point: Why do people use the term "Asian" to refer to orientals? Some Indian people that I know never refer to themselves as Asian, and use the term exclusively for those who are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. It leaves me scratching my head.

Quote by dingmydong
To hell with purple people!

"C'mon man. Purple? You gotta draw the line somewhere."
Last edited by AlexInChains at Aug 14, 2007,
Quote by akaDan

+10000000000000000000000000000005
Racism = Belief that your own race is above another.

Saying a person is black as a means of identifying said person =/= racism
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
I'm not racist but *INSERT RACIST COMMENT HERE*
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Mark is black. End of story.

No need to be a pussy bitch about it.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Page 1 of 2